Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

That would just about have to be the first time we've been beaten this year for Tackle Efficiency, wouldn't it, Oliver? Maybe the Demons beat us? It's generally been a real strength of ours. I noticed tackling efficiency dropping last week. And this week it's even worse - 51% is genuinely mediocre. Hopefully this is just an indicator of our slump and it will be back for finals because sticking tackles will be so important in September. I understand that no Libba and an underdone Dunkley would be part of that. But the whole team is tackling more inconsistently right now.
No I wouldn't say Dunkley's lack of games accounted for it. Quite the opposite.
Dunkley laid a game high 7 tackles. That's over a sixth of our whole tackle count for the game (41).

I suppose it depends what they mean by "tackle efficiency".

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just didn’t see it with English tonight, thought my eyes were deceiving me but he did not take one mark, dropped absolutely everything.

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You rate Cordy’s positioning?

Young doesn’t use his size well enough but at he gets his hand to the ball most times.

In any case Cordy is too small to play KPD.

Maybe as third tall but even then lack of pace is an issue.
Positioning: the last minute of the match against Cats. He was the only Dogs player within cooee, but we dare not mention the "positioning" of the rest of defence.

Poor bugger had nobody to kick to when he DID get it, and received criticism for not kicking it (slyly) out of bounds.

Gawd.

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have been going through a flat patch for quite a few weeks now. Obviously 4 wins 3 losses through that patch is adequate.

Not going to go through the negatives as I am not sure of their value

Postives:
JUH, Garcia and Dunkley getting a game back under his belt.

We have quite a few to come back that will strengthen the team

We won putting us 2 games and percentage inside the top 4

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'll take our flat patch against Hawks or Tigers any day. That's 6 out of the last 10 flags (or thereabouts) there.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
July is upon us, and its a bit of a slog. A few signs there are a few sore guys out there. Depth helping though i.e Garcia, Richards, JUH.

Hopefully by late Aug, early Sep, we are back running on top of the ground.
Number of best 22 players to return and a few weeks to get the rust off. If we can keep a mostly fit roster should be primed for a massive tilt at a flag.

I was worried when he went off, then bent over and covered his face. Clearly in pain. Can only hope it was temporary. He is targeted and roughed up every week and this will only get worse.

Wasn't that straight after he'd just made a gut busting run evading four tacklers and kicked a beautiful ball to the top of the arc?

Most blokes would knackered after that

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also worth saying I don’t think the Suns are a bad team, they are going better than half the other teams.

Bloody happy for Marra, Bruce would want to rediscover his form very quickly.
They did beat the team of the century two weeks ago away from home so not sure why anyone is underrating them especially given they are loaded with top draft picks

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Hardly sighted in the game will be better for the run. Can take a few weeks to come good after a concussion
Spot on. English is the only player I can remember in recent times to come back and play a good game after a concussion (and he was 5 weeks clear). If he looks after himself we should see peak Naughty back for the final few rounds.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont doesn't look like he needs a rest he was moving as well as I've ever seen him tonight, he's just had a bad 3 weeks by his standards.
It will be a biggest injustice since Lewis Taylor won the Rising Star if Wines wins the Brownlow ahead of Bont

Wines is good but three of him wouldn’t match The Bont

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That does not surprise me - during the 4th quarter GC looked substantially faster than us. It was concerning.

I don't think this bit is being given enough attention. We did not deserve to win. We fluked it - partly thanks to Marra's kicking, and partly thanks to GC blowing some easy chances.

That would just about have to be the first time we've been beaten this year for Tackle Efficiency, wouldn't it, Oliver? Maybe the Demons beat us? It's generally been a real strength of ours. I noticed tackling efficiency dropping last week. And this week it's even worse - 51% is genuinely mediocre. Hopefully this is just an indicator of our slump and it will be back for finals because sticking tackles will be so important in September. I understand that no Libba and an underdone Dunkley would be part of that. But the whole team is tackling more inconsistently right now.

I'm also not surprised by this stat. The ball went over our defenders' fists wayyyyyyyy too many times. That incidentally is something Gardner is VERY good at. Fingers crossed he recovers quickly!

Did it seem like Naughton was playing higher than usual to accomodate JUH? I notice they targeted Naughton less frequently in the I50s than usual (usually he is our most frequent target by a lot). That may well be cause he wasn't even in the 50 for most of the game.

Now here's a mystery.... On FOX they kept showing pressure gauges well into the 200s for each quarter. sometimes they were at 230! I understand that this was halfway through quarters, and the final numbers for each qtr might have changed. But not to the point that they ended up in the low 170s like in Q4. And the Dogs were in the mid 220s according to FOX in the 3rd qtr, when they ended up with 181, according to these stats. I wonder why there was such a discrepancy.
We did not fluke anything

The expected scoring stat is useless cause it doesn’t account for a team lifting its rating when it needs to, we were never going to lose this game and would have responded if GC had converted

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Young has appeared pretty capable in the air from what have seen this year.

A lot quicker than Cordy too. Watch his run down of Zac Bailey in Ballarat.
i am not a Young fan at all, but after watching Cordy yesterday, id replace him with young down back.

Cordy's lack of speed kills us at times.

if yesterday was to happen in a final and Naughton was struggling forward, wouldnt you move him to CHB?

badkicking

Senior List
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i am not a Young fan at all, but after watching Cordy yesterday, id replace him with young down back.

Cordy's lack of speed kills us at times.

if yesterday was to happen in a final and Naughton was struggling forward, wouldnt you move him to CHB?
It is not only Cordy's lack of speed, it a lack of ability, he looks completely out of place in a game against the Suns, how is he going to look against a good team.

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just didn’t see it with English tonight, thought my eyes were deceiving me but he did not take one mark, dropped absolutely everything.
he has to take more of them, he was part of the reason we got smashed in the air

This win will age well. GC have turned things around since we last played, have claimed some scalps and will get a few more I reckon. We did what good teams do when they’re challenged, which is more than Demons fans can say this morning.

Wasn't that straight after he'd just made a gut busting run evading four tacklers and kicked a beautiful ball to the top of the arc?

Most blokes would knackered after that
He was grimacing as he ran off, sat on the bench, bent over and buried his face in his hands. Bont, of all players, would normally take a gut-busting run in his stride (so to speak). I just hope whatever it was, was temporary.

Back