Autopsy Roast & Toast R18 vs Brisbane & Changes for R19 vs Geelong

Best 5 vs Brisbane?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldn’t mind the season having a few weeks off tbh just until things settle down, no ulterior motives of course just looking at the greater good 😇
The afl would s**t their pants they’d never finish the year if they paused it, they’ll continue with this merry go round

Maurice jr - surely he can get a game over castagna
doubt it, losing a hard runner like we we lost makka early makes it sooooo hard to have young kids expected to be running full of steam in the last quarter if the game is in the balance....dow, ccj, dawks, naish, sammo and hugo all got a taste of senior footy but ran out of petrol tickets in the last and we got run over....can't see any sense in playing MRJ unless we are out of finals contention.

Last edited:
I agree that there's still some small inconsistencies, but I think you've missed the point. The AFL are NOT outlawing "hard tackles". It's looking to eradicate dangerous tackling actions. Tackle as hard as you like, as long as you don't drive the head into the ground, or sling the player around at force where they're slammed into the turf.

Were the fines a little harsh? Possibly. But both free kicks were there IMO.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Agree about Nank's but Bolton only pinned one arm and McCluggage had an arm free to try and protect his impact but chose not to.... has a duty of care for himself which he chose not to exercise.

I agree, somewhat - but, if we are fining blokes for tackles that COULD have been dangerous (ultimately no one got injured from any of these tackles, so none were actually dangerous - only "potentially") - yet we allow players to get very serious injuries from collisions where the player instigating the contact never made a serious attempt at getting the ball themselves...... then where do draw the line of "protecting the players" ? I fail to see how the actual intent of our "not dangerous, but could have been dangerous" tackles vs the intent of body contact collision which Robinson made, where he made no real attempt to win possession of the ball.... i just don't get how the AFL are prioritising player safety in now classifying normal, strong tackles "dangerous" vs endorsing and allowing "big hard bumps" like Robbo or Mackay as its essential to maintaining "the fabric of the game".

Its all so so broken.

I, personally, would much rather see strong hard tackles be endorsed in our game, over hard body on body collisions where players run at unrealistic speeds at another player in a ridiculous "attempt" to win possesion of the ball. Robbo's contact was much like that of Mackay a few weeks ago. The speed and force to which he ran at Dusty to "play the ball" was completely unrealistic to him ever actually "winning the ball". The force and contact made by Robbo was never to "win possession". It was always about playing the opponent, which is how most of us got taught how to play the game.

How a "hard tackle" has somehow became more of a player safety issue than people using their bodies to be human cannonballs is beyond me. Personally, I would prefer both be retained in the game - but how the AFL chose one over the other is beyond comprehension in my eyes...

Robinson ran in with his body opened up. 9 out of 10, he's the one that gets hurt. It's just one of those freak accidents. No-one has ever ever been taught to make contact that way (by any coach with any idea anyway). Agree about the over protection of tackles that are very very good though.

i mean, weve been getting closer and closer to the point where if you engage in a tackle and the bloke hits his head on the ground its a free

was only a month or so ago someone went to the tribunal for a perfect run down tackle that unfortunately had the ball carrier hit his head on the ground and koed himself
Koed himself! Seriously the Swans bloke pile drove him into the ground at full speed, what else was going to happen. Sure he tried to turn him but in the end he landed flat on his back and knocked him out.

The tackles on Friday were very different and pretty soft, although Nank surely gave Daniher a bit extra, worthy of a free maybe, reportable no.

Agree about Nank's but Bolton only pinned one arm and McCluggage had an arm free to try and protect his impact but chose not to.... has a duty of care for himself which he chose not to exercise.
mcluggage went to ground easier than an U12 kid playin in an U16 game

thought that was the second time bolts got robbed, other was when harris andrews throat shoved him and poor bolts just had to cling on otherwise he goes backwards headbanging the turf. we got a few gifts too so winners are grinners

The hugely influential big man had 22 touches, four marks, four tackles as well as 25 hit outs, highlighting his importance to the Tigers.

Nick Dal Santo said he was “tackling to hurt people” during the game, saying his physical approach was something his teammate “fed off”.

Yep and now we lose mcintosh and dusty

shedda in for dusty
Naish?? in for macca

I just have sick feeling aarts and castagna are gonna survive again..

Geelong in geelong too… doesn’t get much tougher
Was just reading and thinking about replacement for Macca. Yes Caddy had played the role, but on reflection, with Stack and Rioli in at half back, perhaps Short to the wing would be a good option. Can float back through defence and get the the ball to set up forward moves and float forward to kick some nice 50m goals. I’m sure you could rotate Rioli through the wing also and Edwards if he comes in.
On the Geelong match, let’s rest injured players and not bring back anyone not 100% ready. Hard match to win anyway, so why risk players in this match, save them for the must win games that follow.
Doesn’t mean we don’t give it our best shot though.

Was just reading and thinking about replacement for Macca. Yes Caddy had played the role, but on reflection, with Stack and Rioli in at half back, perhaps Short to the wing would be a good option. Can float back through defence and get the the ball to set up forward moves and float forward to kick some nice 50m goals. I’m sure you could rotate Rioli through the wing also and Edwards if he comes in.
On the Geelong match, let’s rest injured players and not bring back anyone not 100% ready. Hard match to win anyway, so why risk players in this match, save them for the must win games that follow.
Doesn’t mean we don’t give it our best shot though.
Yeah good call.. I really don’t want caddy on a wing.. much prefer he plays in the middle if he does get picked

Also prefer short on a wing than rioli, but bit of a slap to the face of naish tho
Interesting to see what the coaches do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koed himself! Seriously the Swans bloke pile drove him into the ground at full speed, what else was going to happen. Sure he tried to turn him but in the end he landed flat on his back and knocked him out.

The tackles on Friday were very different and pretty soft, although Nank surely gave Daniher a bit extra, worthy of a free maybe, reportable no.

i was referring to mitch duncan being koed in the geelong suns game

Yeah good call.. I really don’t want caddy on a wing.. much prefer he plays in the middle if he does get picked

Also prefer short on a wing than rioli, but bit of a slap to the face of naish tho
Think Naish is improving every match, but not there yet.
If we are going to make finals we can’t tinker with things too much, just bring the senior player back in when fit, and pick the youngsters in their correct position when they deserve the game.
If we lose the next 2 then we can go back to playing more kids.
2 go out this week with injury (if not more). We only need to replace those players.
George and Aarts frustrate, but I’m sure they are playing the role requested of them by the coaches, so they won’t go out. Not at this stage until we have more senior players back.

Think Naish is improving every match, but not there yet.
If we are going to make finals we can’t tinker with things too much, just bring the senior player back in when fit, and pick the youngsters in their correct position when they deserve the game.
If we lose the next 2 then we can go back to playing more kids.
2 go out this week with injury (if not more). We only need to replace those players.
George and Aarts frustrate, but I’m sure they are playing the role requested of them by the coaches, so they won’t go out. Not at this stage until we have more senior players back.
Agree completely, we ran out of legs in Perth and against Pies because there was too many kids that can't run out a game. Naish and RCD (and Chol) can play 60% game time while Aarts, Castagna, and Garthwaite run 15km every game. The kids want to play, they got to start running harder for longer

Agree completely, we ran out of legs in Perth and against Pies because there was too many kids that can't run out a game. Naish and RCD (and Chol) can play 60% game time while Aarts, Castagna, and Garthwaite run 15km every game. The kids want to play, they got to start running harder for longer
Think last year's lack of VFL hurt a lot in that regard

Ross should start on the wing. He played well when he came on. Naish/Martyn/caddy 23rd man

Ross should start on the wing. He played well when he came on. Naish/Martyn/caddy 23rd man
Yeah he actually showed some desperation that we have all been crying out for!

Last edited:
Why was the game moved to Metricon? What was the actual reason? I think Macca's injury has resulted because of it, perhaps being due to decreased time for warming up.

Tackle as hard as you like, as long as you don't drive the head into the ground, or sling the player around at force where they're slammed into the turf.

It's such a challenge. AFL has to protect the heads of players, but also has to reward the tackler.

IMO it's becoming impossible. Especially now as we've seen in other games this weekend that have had ZERO dangerous tackle calls, it was clearly a directive to the Umpires to watch Richmond and call it out if it happened. They were definitely over zealous and that just doesn't happen on its own.

The only option here is to keep the whistle in the pocket, except for obvious ones. If some get missed, let the match review panel pick them up and fine\suspend accordingly. Of course having umpires decide and interpret what the obvious ones are is impossible as they seem to have no feel for the game now at all and the rules that once made it great.

The AFL umpiring needs to streamline the rules, but with an overall outcome on concussion minimalisation (you will never eliminate it completely without mandatory protective headwear). That's unfortunately an easier sentence to type than a thing to actually do. But, I feel it's not impossible with smart, creative people in charge. Neither Steve Hocking or McLachlan are up to the challenge though.

Grimes* - Astbury (4+) - Broad (7+)
Vlastuin* (8+)
- Balta* (7+) - Short
Pickett - Prestia (11+) - KMac* (4+)
Lambert (8+)
- Riewoldt* - Edwards* (5+)
Castagna* - Lynch* (4) - Bolton
Nank (5) - Martin* (6) - Cotchin* (4)
Graham - Baker - Houli* (17) - Soldo (S) - SUB Rioli*
(Injured this season 4+ gms) (*Loss of form throughout the year)

Above is what I would think is Dimma's ideal B22. It shows point blank just how devastating injures & form have plagued the side in 2021. Added to this is a late preseason start, 100k taken from our soft cap, AFL rule changes & the umpiring, plus the constant chaos of Covid, Its been an incredible effort we're still in the eight. Whatever happens this year the dynasty is not over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back