Autopsy Round 18, 2021: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d actually coincide Marshall’s development with the arrival of Brendon Lade at the start of 2019, which (coincidentally) was Marshall’s breakout year.
What did Lade do with Marshall?

The disappointing aspect of the loss to me was that a tough response from Port was so predictable. After every loss you can bank on them ramping up the tackling pressure in the next game. It's in their DNA. We either didn't see it coming or couldn't handle it. They hammered Crouch and Steele every chance they got. Credit to them both in that they stood up to it. No doubt it affected Crouch's disposal efficiency as he always seemed under the pump whenever he got the ball.

In such a crucial game for our season it was disappinting to see us get outmuscled at crucial times.

Well considering Lade is a coach, I would assume coaching, to maybe help his ruck craft considering Lade was a good ruckman? 🤷🏻‍♂️
It's interesting you are just assuming. One would think the actual ruck coach would have more of an influence and perhaps the player crediting him for his improvement could also be a sign.

Membrey looks the type that is capable of this, unfortunately by his standard he had a less than perfect game.
Might have given him a run in the guts and sent either Steele or Crouch forward for a 1/4 to see if we could get a bit of flow happening.

Possibly why I’ll only ever be an armchair coach.
I was thinking would be good to play Steele forward a bit too. 1 reason - Rarely misses goals

Make the platform owners responsible for content. Make them publish the identity of perpetrators, makes them responsible for their words.,
The problem disappears in a heart beat. Not doing so is just condoning it.

I don’t understand this argument. If I buy a megaphone and use it to spread hate, it’s not the megaphone company who should be held liable.
Facebook shouldn’t be held liable for the abuse someone gives on the platform. It’s just passing the buck, blaming an industry you don’t like for the actions of a small minority of dickheads.

I hear that expression surging it forward a lot but it doesn’t necessarily do anything. Our inside 50 efficiency is really poor and that could be the ability of our midfielders to hit targets.

Leo Connolly with the lace out pass to Marshall was a thing of beauty. A low dart that the defender could do nothing about. That’s what I’m talking about!!!

Sure but that’s not how we win games. We win games by weight of messy entries, which put the opposition defence under sustained pressure. We get enough of those entries by winning more than equal share of ball in the midfield, and by making opposition entries messy enough that our intercept markers and rebounders can go to work.

We can wish we were a quality possession side but we just aren’t.

I just don't like our gameplan.

Sure, it'll win us some games when everyone is completely manic and things go our way, but good sides will be able to work us out and beat us.

We need to play smarter.

I want to see forwards on a lead creating space for each other... players lowering their eyes to hit up targets inside 50.

Let Max King run at the ball ffs.

Goal kicking ….. what’s this latest craze of kicking on an angle when dead in front & spinning the ball around like some circus performer whilst about to kick. FMD even a bloody idiot like me knows if you drop it 5cm wrong onto your boot, it could be anything up to 5 metres out of whack by the time it reaches it’s destination. Time to stop being bloody show ponies & go back to basics, surely they were taught to kick properly as juniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brad Crouch who had 20 contested possessions yesterday?

Career averages for contested possessions per game:

Matt- 11.01
Brad- 10.81

He seemed to get a lot more. Maybe it's more in my mind. I just looked them up. It looks like Matt had one really good year when they made the GF in 2017 with 337 CPs to Brads 253. Most other years they seem pretty even.

They looked switched on from the get go ( motivation), they tackled harder and more often i.e beat St Kilda at their own game. he managed to get key players isolated - their FF for one, he got better matchups, they pressured more and he used Dixon to good effect i.e always took 2/3 saints players in a congested mark situation. Plan B for an injured player? dmac is no superstar- whoever went to Amon still had the responsibility of holding and didnt. Could have tagged Wines as well. Your small backline goes against what nearly every poster has said- where's the big key defender?

They had 43 i50s mate. Hardly carved us up. Agreed they tackled harder, but is that being out coached? Dixon was on Howard. Hardly a 'better match up'. Howard was serviceable. Look at our i50 efficiency, 40%. Imagine if we'd have hit targets i50 a little more.... and/or converted. The issue with dmac was he's a natural winger, him going down saw Bytel on. Did Ross go to Amon? What other options were there?

You will disagree but as I said, bit stiff on Ratts

I don’t understand this argument. If I buy a megaphone and use it to spread hate, it’s not the megaphone company who should be held liable.
Facebook shouldn’t be held liable for the abuse someone gives on the platform. It’s just passing the buck, blaming an industry you don’t like for the actions of a small minority of dickheads.
So how would you propose to prevent online abuse sice you oppose both the personal responsibility and media platform responsibility options?
Are you suggesting that we all just get along nicely?

So how would you propose to prevent online abuse sice you oppose both the personal responsibility and media platform responsibility options?
Are you suggesting that we all just get along nicely?
It's a difficult question but making the companies responsible is the worst possible outcome imo. It's not because I particularly like them but think about who is currently trying to make these companies responsible. The Liberals having a whinge because John Barilaro's feelings are hurt and Dutton is sick of people pointing out his atrocious human rights record on the reg. Companies will either have to align with the Libs definition of "online abuse" or stop working in Australia. Both options are bad because we either get a gigantic echo room of Liberal hard-done-byship or no options for news other than 7, 9 or newscorp.

Sure, it'll win us some games when everyone is completely manic and things go our way, but good sides will be able to work us out and beat us.

I don't reckon they can work us out and beat us, there's no real strategy to beat our way of playing. We lose when the opposition outworks us or beats us in contest, but not really because we get beaten strategically.

And I dont understand the megaphone analogy. Social media has the capability to regulate / control content and identify users and provides a platform to connect them all. They choose not to regulate or identify users because controversy = clicks, clicks equals money. Is it ok for the daily papers to publish readers opinions on hate speech, radical right wing ideology etc?
Simple question: if facebook etc - identified the culprits, would it stop? my guess 80%. If you fined facebook? 100% stops. So If you have a solution to stop it and choose not to, then you are condoning it. I find it astounding that a generation can be brainwashed into adopting the "its not their fault" mentality. Anyway, this has little to do with the thread title, so I will leave it at that.

It's a difficult question but making the companies responsible is the worst possible outcome imo. It's not because I particularly like them but think about who is currently trying to make these companies responsible. The Liberals having a whinge because John Barilaro's feelings are hurt and Dutton is sick of people pointing out his atrocious human rights record on the reg. Companies will either have to align with the Libs definition of "online abuse" or stop working in Australia. Both options are bad because we either get a gigantic echo room of Liberal hard-done-byship or no options for news other than 7, 9 or newscorp.

The American's were on the media platform thing regarding covid misinformation.
Its a fundamental flaw in their understanding of how social media works. Do they think someone at facebook is able to read every post and make a moral judgement on it?

Its a white wall with a can of spray-paint next to it, or a soapbox.

And I dont understand the megaphone analogy. Social media has the capability to regulate / control content and identify users and provides a platform to connect them all. They choose not to regulate or identify users because controversy = clicks, clicks equals money. Is it ok for the daily papers to publish readers opinions on hate speech, radical right wing ideology etc?
Simple question: if facebook etc - identified the culprits, would it stop? my guess 80%. If you fined facebook? 100% stops. So If you have a solution to stop it and choose not to, then you are condoning it. I find it astounding that a generation can be brainwashed into adopting the "its not their fault" mentality. Anyway, this has little to do with the thread title, so I will leave it at that.

No you don't.

The fact that you are comparing with "daily papers" where all letters are read before publishing shows that you are out of touch.

They had 43 i50s mate. Hardly carved us up. Agreed they tackled harder, but is that being out coached? Dixon was on Howard. Hardly a 'better match up'. Howard was serviceable. Look at our i50 efficiency, 40%. Imagine if we'd have hit targets i50 a little more.... and/or converted. The issue with dmac was he's a natural winger, him going down saw Bytel on. Did Ross go to Amon? What other options were there?

You will disagree but as I said, bit stiff on Ratts
First thing you have to completely understand is that we got beat. I am not going to"imagine" or look at "what ifs". So now Dmac is a natural winger- could have sworn he was a half back flanker. and have to say not a brilliant record in his 6 yrs so I dont know why you are hanging your hat on him. It is up to the coach to have options, surely thats a given. You have gone into denial on the 3/4 coaching issues I mentioned. How can I be a bit stiff on the losing coach?

One is a publisher and one is a platform. That's the difference.

First thing you have to completely understand is that we got beat. I am not going to"imagine" or look at "what ifs". So now Dmac is a natural winger- could have sworn he was a half back flanker. and have to say not a brilliant record in his 6 yrs so I dont know why you are hanging your hat on him. It is up to the coach to have options, surely thats a given. You have gone into denial on the 3/4 coaching issues I mentioned. How can I be a bit stiff on the losing coach?

Lol.... I have to understand that we lost? Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Presumably every win we've had Ratts outcoached his opponent and each loss he was outcoached then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back