Not open for further replies.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Still Premiershipmond vs Geelong Football League

Well now, this season just got interesting. Perpetually undermanned Tigers have a great win against the Lions, putting us back into finals contention, and Geelong are working hard to get the game moved to GMHBA. Are they perhaps a little scared? Let's dive in.

Background

The 2020 off-season started with Jeremy Cameron and Joe Daniher walking out on their clubs to join teams smack bang in premiership contention. Predictably, there was a massive uproar over this. Constant articles bemoaning players leaving weak clubs to try and jag a flag, opposition players like Mitch "lines" Robinson calling said players flogs online etc.

Oh wait, there wasn't mass outrage? You mean this stuff is only reserved for Tom Lynch when he joins the Tiges? Oh ok then fair enough. For you see, the current AFL policy standard has been subverted to become the Geelong double-standard, where Geelong is never at fault and no questions are asked of the (former) imperious overlord Steve Hocking.

Season so Far

Tigers started ok, then went a bit s**t, then seemed to come good, then went full s**t, and now maybe, just maybe, are on the rebound...

Obviously there are good reasons for this. Playing with a shell of midfield most weeks doesn't help, and just when things look ok our backline gets gutted. But we're still alive and in the hunt for finals, and as one opposition poster put it "Richmond are like Jason from Halloween. Until I see the corpse, I always assume they're going to come back".

Last time against the Cats in Rd. 8 was a bit of a perfect storm. We were up the entire first half, and playing some very good footy. Things went to s**t after that, and even Gary Rohan was kicking goals, when he wasn't scoping out female trainers that is.

Since then, we've been more inconsistent than Steve Hocking's rule changes, while Geelong have played predictably boring chip-mark football, and have won a lot of games doing so, whilst putting everyone watching to sleep.

The Opposition

The Geelong Football League (GFL) has been out to get us for a while. Constant negative media campaigns by Whateley. Constant rule changes by sHocking. And now they've played their final card in bringing sHocking back to Scat Park. You just know he's been gagging to work with Chris Scott again. There's a reason he calls him "Salty Scotty".

As for their players, they're certainly an unlikeable bunch. Just this year there's been the following incidents:
  • Selwood eye-gouging Bailey Dale. Reminiscent to last year's GF when he went after Baker's face deep in the last
  • Selwood scraping his studs over another Dogs players legs
  • Dangerflop cleaning up Jake Kelly and then claiming that he didn't mean to. Mate, you got caught HTB, and then sprinted 20m and flattened a guy with a hip-and-shoulder in retaliation
  • Gary Rohan porking Henderson's missus. This one has been refuted by the club, however we may as well push it as true, given the amount of legs that the Rance/Higgins story got even though it was utter tripe
  • Jeremy Cameron/Isaac Smith/Shaun Higgins joining Geelong looking for an easier premiership than Gary Rohan looks for easy training staff
  • Although Hawkins hasn't done anything, remember that he did cause the Croation Warrior Soldo to blow his ACL
But there's some other players here too. See below for the Geelong guessing game, containing players and administrators. The image may have something to do with the persons name, appearance, or on-field demeanour. The first to correctly deduce who is who in the thread will become immortalized in this post.

1626710858958.png

The winner is ________.

Tiges

Dusty and McIntosh out injured. Edwards, Prestia, Vlastuin all in contention to come in, pending tests.

This is going to be a tough game. Losing Dusty is going to hurt, however Prestia and Edwards coming back soon will help considerably. As long as Nank the Tank stays healthy, we'll give this a good shot.

One thing in our favour is that we haven't lost to the same team twice in a season from 2017 onwards. If we can keep that trend, that puts us in the box seat to make finals and cause some damage from there.

Prediction

Tigers by 5.

Last edited:

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Close to full strength I'd give us a go, but I reckon we are still too banged up and Geelong are far too professional to drop this one to us.
Could get a bit ugly tbh.
yeah I'm worried about it, cats looking very good this year

They should beat us with the outs we have. Nevertheless im looking forward to this game.

Geelong have shown they can flog teams at their skateboard shaped ground but not so good against the good teams on grounds that have deep wings.

They are too old and too slow, so get caught out on big grounds against quality opposition.

Dusty had been below his best most of this year so isn't a huge out in context of the past few weeks and I see Bolton taking his role. The problem is this creates a knock on effect and where I think we'll struggle this week is our bottom few players who are probably going to get exposed.

I don't think we can play chol and caddy in the same side. Not that they are like for like but when chol is forward there's nowhere for caddy to play.

Let's see how we go!

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
This is the game. Big call for us to get over the line against these pricks but geez, if we do there will be a few teams looking over their shoulders.

We could arguably win the final four and make finals. If that happens we could make an almighty mess of some premiership hopefuls. Really the pressure is off us now because we aren't expected to challenge this year. Has Dimma given it away ? NFW he has.

It's going to be an entertaining game and the Scats have choked before on the big stage, flat track bullies imo...right now, this season, just about anything is possible...

Look out.

How many times this season have there been no forced changes, you ask?

Rnd 3, after we cruised passed the Hawks and dropped Ross for Eggs in the Sydney game.

Rnd 5, when we dropped Caddy and Rioli from the Port game and spanked St Kilda, and went into Rnd 6 against Melbourne unchanged (I think the only time this season, so far).

Rnd 15 vs St Kilda, we dropped Rioli, Caddy and Ralphsmith (sub), but no forced changes.

And the game just gone, Rnd 18, where we dropped Naish, Dow and RCD, just for the melts, before beating Brisbane.

So that's four games out of 18 where we made changes only on form, and one out of 18 when we kept the same team for two games in a row.

So I want some form of continuity. IMO, we still don't have the luxury of picking players on form, and we just have to keep playing a few that I would have dropped long before now.

Out: Martin, Macca
In: Edwards, RCD

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
No Jezza and he always *s us (except in grand finals). Duncan too. I assume Rohan will be back for them though but he's played his good game against us this year.

For us Edwards should be back and hopefully one or both of Prestia and Vlastuin. Being a Sunday game is handy. I'd love to see Jnr debut at the expense of either Aarts or Castagna. Parker on a wing for Kmac and Caddy in for Dusty.

FB:....Mansell......Grimes......Garthwaite
HB:...Stack.........Astbury......Short
C:.....Parker........Cotchin......Pickett
HF:...Lambert......Lynch........Baker
FF:....MRJ..........Riewoldt......Chol
R:.....Nank........Bolton.........Graham

I/C: D.Rioli.....Aarts.....Caddy......Edwards

Out: Castagna, Dusty, Kmac
In: Jnr, Caddy, Edwards

If Vlastuin and Prestia get up they should come in for Aarts and Garthwaite. Still a *in good side if we bring the intent and play with confidence again. We will win.

Reckon we have a huge chance at this game. The Cats will be favourites and deservedly. But if we come out aiming to bang them around and go the full throttle we can beat them. Sets up a shot at top 8, and then whichever hub it is off we go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Catching up?
Long history with the other three, however, did get transferred to Geelong for work in 1980. Had no issues with Geelong at the time, as harmless as Footscray, Fitzroy and North/South Melbourne… within two years I was barracking for EVERY other team when I went to Kardinia Park. They’ve always been entitled and delusional down there… small town syndrome.

peterand

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
No Jezza and he always fu**s us (except in grand finals). Duncan too. I assume Rohan will be back for them though but he's played his good game against us this year.

For us Edwards should be back and hopefully one or both of Prestia and Vlastuin. Being a Sunday game is handy. I'd love to see Jnr debut at the expense of either Aarts or Castagna. Parker on a wing for Kmac and Caddy in for Dusty.

FB:....Mansell......Grimes......Garthwaite
HB:...Stack.........Astbury......Short
C:.....Parker........Cotchin......Pickett
HF:...Lambert......Lynch........Baker
FF:....MRJ..........Riewoldt......Chol
R:.....Nank........Bolton.........Graham

I/C: D.Rioli.....Aarts.....Caddy......Edwards

Out: Castagna, Dusty, Kmac
In: Jnr, Caddy, Edwards

If Vlastuin and Prestia get up they should come in for Aarts and Garthwaite. Still a fu**in good side if we bring the intent and play with confidence again. We will win.
Keep George in front of Aarts

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Reckon we have a huge chance at this game. The Cats will be favourites and deservedly. But if we come out aiming to bang them around and go the full throttle we can beat them. Sets up a shot at top 8, and then whichever hub it is off we go.
agree not sure of any ins yet but in the mix will be caddy, ross, egg, naish, aarts and will martin and need to perform if selected as careers on the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back