Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to agree. The ruck is the most over rated position on the ground. Richamond dont need Nank to win.
Good rucks are fine but just picking one for the sake of it is pointless and at this stage of his career I would say Sweet is not up to it so I would just go with English if Martin dosent get back

Good rucks are fine but just picking one for the sake of it is pointless and at this stage of his career I would say Sweet is not up to it so I would just go with English if Martin dosent get back
Sweet is still young, didn't play last year so would be tired by now and is still a way off. If English is the #1 ruck it changes the structure that worked well earlier in the year.
This it the point of discussion with the MC and Bev, do we have a structure where players are selected to fill a role in that structure or do we select players and change the structure around who is available?

Yes. It’s a problem.

The inclusion of Martin and Wood, while English plays forward, should make a positive difference. And Naughton returning to form post concussion of course will improve us.

We need to improve in this area all over the ground.
What are your thoughts mate?
With JUH starting to look like the no 1 pick along with Astro and Bruuuuuuce in the fwd line, there doesn't look to be room up front for him now.
Do we try to convert Timmy into a KFD like roughy was. It would solve a lot of problems.

Any chance Keath comes into All Australian consideration? Can't be too far off it.
Maybe the 40 but zero chance of making the final team. This is the same media who said at the end of last year that he had a disappointing year and every week this year say our defenders are no good. Off the top of my head the following defenders (key position, interceptors and flankers/rebounders) will get in the 22 before him (rightly or wrongly):

- Steven May
- Jake Lever
- Salem
- Bailey Dale
- Tom Stewart
- Harris Andrews
- Dane Rampe
- Weitering

Maybe the 40 but zero chance of making the final team. This is the same media who said at the end of last year that he had a disappointing year and every week this year say our defenders are no good. Off the top of my head the following defenders (key position, interceptors and flankers/rebounders) will get in the 22 before him (rightly or wrongly):

- Steven May
- Jake Lever
- Salem
- Bailey Dale
- Tom Stewart
- Harris Andrews
- Dane Rampe
- Weitering
I'd have him easily ahead of Andrews and Rampe. Can't comment on Weitering, but the media do seem to have a big love-in for May and Lever.

I think you're right, he might make the squad but doubt he'd get in the final 22.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but we've now been to Perth twice, Adelaide, Canberra and the Gold Coast for a 5-0 record on the road.

Other than yesterday, all of the wins have been by over 3 goals and against decent opponents (Power, Eagles, Freo, GWS).
But we can only win under the roof at marvel ner ner ner

Though it wasn't pretty, given yet again the significant disruption due to Covid it was a good win to get.

Hopefully as finals approach we get some consistency in preparation allowing us to build

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Though it wasn't pretty, given yet again the significant disruption due to Covid it was a good win to get.

Hopefully as finals approach we get some consistency in preparation allowing us to build

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m feeling more and more that every win is a good win for most teams late in they year. It has really tightened up. Tipsters nightmare!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So something like
BEV. Dew
Bont 5. Keath 5
Miller 4. Bont 4
Macrae 3. Miller 3
Dale 2. Smith 2
Smith 1 Collins 1
Or
5 Bont - Miller
4 Keath - Bont
3 Smith - Macrae (interchangeable)
2 Miller - Dale
1 Collins - Keath

Harsh on Miller to only get 2 votes from one coach if that were the case. Thought he was BOG myself.

OMG another positive poster, X_box_X we gotta stick together, Sh!t's getting real around here. You would think we were 2nd last, not 2nd like too many posters on here would leave you to believe.
I'm f@#ken stoked where the dogs are on the ladder. If you told me at the start year following our defeat to St.Kilda we would be 2nd in the AFL and 1st in the VFL I'd be stooked as I am now. You can shove a handful of diamonds up some people's @sses and they still complain. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I f@#ken love the dog's always have, it's an ultimate underdog story saved from financial ruin from loyal supporters. I use to catch the boat over from tassie just to catch a game at the western oval or as I used to call it...a bogan family reunion.
I loved the players that took paycuts in the late '80s and early '90s just to stay with the dogs for the love and loyalty of Footscray, (South Melb and Fitzroy couldn't do it) I'm so ecstatic at where the dog's are financially in the covid-19 sh!t times.

We should be praising Sammy P for help build this team(AFL/VFL) into a powerhouse team.
The brilliance of the Bont, he's the best player at his age I've seen.
Every team needs a Macrae to win a premmie, Keathy was fantastic again and Dunk's was back.
Career games for JUH and Garcia.

What do most of our supporters talk about, who was the sh!test on the team? Fair dinkum, it's like being in a room full of supermodels and we got supporters complaining that there are a couple of ugly people here.
How did we get so offended by everything?????? Enjoy the friggen ride

And for those that can't get simple joy out of watching bulldogs footy.
Call lifeline!!!!

Spot on, Doggie Dog.

Chanelling my inner Biff (what are you lookin at, Butthead?):
During the bad old days, if my older self had time travelled back to tell me that we'd be the fantastic organisation we are today, I'd have laughed at me, and wondered what I was on about...

This is the greatest time in VFL/AFL history to be a Dogs supporter.

...and long may we absolutely revel in it 🥂

Or
5 Bont - Miller
4 Keath - Bont
3 Smith - Macrae (interchangeable)
2 Miller - Dale
1 Collins - Keath

Harsh on Miller to only get 2 votes from one coach if that were the case. Thought he was BOG myself.
Especially when you consider where Touk is on the leaderboard.

Leaderboard
85 Marcus Bontempelli WB
85 Clayton Oliver MELB
83 Touk Miller GCFC
83 Samuel Walsh CARL
80 Ollie Wines PORT
75 Jack Steele STK
70 Darcy Parish ESS
68 Zach Merrett ESS
60 David Mundy FRE
57 Christian Petracca MELB
56 Hugh McCluggage BL
55 Max Gawn MELB
55 Nic Naitanui WCE
51 Rory Laird ADEL
48 Jacob Hopper GWS
48 Jack Macrae WB
48 Tom Mitchell HAW
45 Ben Cunnington NMFC
45 Sean Darcy FRE
45 Josh Kelly GWS
45 Jarryd Lyons BL​

I don't for a minute think Bevo's the sort of bloke who'd let the leaderboard influence his votes but some people will no doubt stroke their chin...:think:

Another example of Beveridge getting it wrong which there are plenty as he's only human, Macrae by any objective measure was better than Bont eg the player ratings where he doubled Bont. But the bnf voting in the past shows Macrae's not rated as highly by the coaches as by bulldog supporters.

Another example of Beveridge getting it wrong which there are plenty as he's only human, Macrae by any objective measure was better than Bont eg the player ratings where he doubled Bont. But the bnf voting in the past shows Macrae's not rated as highly by the coaches as by bulldog supporters.
In your opinion, sure. Think you’ll find both coaches disagreed with you though. I thought macrae was great and in the top 4 alongside Keath, Miller and Bont. Bont had some shockers by foot but there is absolutely no doubt he had the most impact on that game. None whatsoever. Coaches votes agree and I think you’ll find the 3 votes he gets on Brownlow night agree as well

Sweet is still young, didn't play last year so would be tired by now and is still a way off. If English is the #1 ruck it changes the structure that worked well earlier in the year.
This it the point of discussion with the MC and Bev, do we have a structure where players are selected to fill a role in that structure or do we select players and change the structure around who is available?
Yep I get it obviously 2 good rucks is fine but currently we only have one fit ruck

Your taking the piss right?

What are your thoughts mate?
With JUH starting to look like the no 1 pick along with Astro and Bruuuuuuce in the fwd line, there doesn't look to be room up front for him now.
Do we try to convert Timmy into a KFD like roughy was. It would solve a lot of problems.

It would solve a lot of problems.

If JUH can justify his spot in the team for the rest of the season, which is not just about goals but forward pressure, leading patterns and various one per cent acts, then I’m not against trying English as a defender/second ruck.

I have no idea whether it would work, but I still remember the days when Scott Wynd used to drop back into the hole and take contested marks, only to hand ball them off.

Maybe English can do this? I like the idea of him taking marks and handing it off to the likes of Daniel and Dale.

Or maybe we switch Naughton back and English forward? English is a better set shot kick. Can’t believe I’m even contemplating this as a possibility as Astro has been so good up forward

I suspect the likely scenario is that JUH drops out of the side after inconsistent form which rookies are renowned for. Hope I’m wrong as I love watching him play and there is something positive about good rookie players rejuvenating the team. Every premiership team always has a couple who pop up. Dunkley, Cordy and Daniel were ours in 2016.

In your opinion, sure. Think you’ll find both coaches disagreed with you though. I thought macrae was great and in the top 4 alongside Keath, Miller and Bont. Bont had some shockers by foot but there is absolutely no doubt he had the most impact on that game. None whatsoever. Coaches votes agree and I think you’ll find the 3 votes he gets on Brownlow night agree as well
A record number of clangers, M Boyd used to play like that every week. Given Dew's coaching record that's not a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the bulldogs coaches gave Keath the 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back