Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a slightly worse version of the flu, that's all it is and ever will be.

Is it though? What do you base that on?

I agree that it's difficult to get real data on how dangerous it is for younger people - but the numbers we do have show that whilst the flu kills an estimated 300,000-650,000 people every year, COVID killed an estimated 3,000,000 in a year when the whole planet was largely locked down.

This debate is valid, but inaccurate and misleading statements don't help.

It's clearly far, far worse than the flu.

COVID has killed 5 times more people than the flu does in a year - all whilst lockdowns have been in place. These same restrictions and measures have pretty much eradicated the flu.

So being a seasonal virus seems completely irrelevant to the debate.

The question is how many young people would die if we opened up? We know old people are vulnerable, but what about everyone else?

Totally agree. More proof that treatments are working is the fact that so few people are in hospital (96 w/ 28 in ICU). If the goal is zero cases, we'll never be out from under this manufactured scourge.
The question really is whether those treatments would be available to everyone that needed them, if a shitload of people needed them at the same time.

The concept of maintaining low numbers without lockdowns seems impossible.

Is it though? What do you base that on?

I agree that it's difficult to get real data on how dangerous it is for younger people - but the numbers we do have show that whilst the flu kills an estimated 300,000-650,000 people every year, COVID killed an estimated 3,000,000 in a year when the whole planet was largely locked down.

This debate is valid, but inaccurate and misleading statements don't help.

It's clearly far, far worse than the flu.

COVID has killed 5 times more people than the flu does in a year - all whilst lockdowns have been in place. These same restrictions and measures have pretty much eradicated the flu.

So being a seasonal virus seems completely irrelevant to the debate.

The question is how many young people would die if we opened up? We know old people are vulnerable, but what about everyone else?
I don't understand your assertion that we don't know how dangerous COVID is to younger people. There is a massive trove of information regarding who has died from COVID. It kills elderly people with an average of 2.6 comorbidities.

The reality is we will be in and out of lockdowns until early next year when hopefully the vaccine % increases

The way it is unfortunately

or we can shut down HQ and boost the economy until we are highly vaccinated. Government will choose the insanity option though.

Predictions on how long the latest Vic lockdown lasts? I’m going 1 September
I'm hearing 4-5 weeks which would take us to about mid/late-August, and which will mean from a planning perspective the Grand Final cannot possibly be held in Melbourne, unless the AFL is happy with a 25% crowd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing 4-5 weeks which would take us to about mid/late-August, and which will mean from a planning perspective the Grand Final cannot possibly be held in Melbourne, unless the AFL is happy with a 25% crowd

4-5 weeks would be complete murder and overkill.

From who?
As I said "I heard", and it was from someone who knows someone who whose partner works in the Premier's Department. It's hearsay and could be complete rubbish. It was said before lockdown was extended this week.

they cant. its illegal to deny people entry to their own country. limiting entry is the best they can do.

We pretty much are denying Aussies entry..the timeframe for some to get back is huge. Were also allowing NON-AUSSIES entry. I’m not racist and I’m all for travellers coming in, but seriously not right now!
And what for? To try boost some tourism? It’s beyond insanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back