Best XI of the 1970's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Sobers play enough in the 70's to qualify?
Sobers started in 1954! He played until 1974.
I was tempted to pick him, my favourite player of all time,
but I have to agree with Tony Greig as the all rounder. He
could bowl pace and spin and was a fighting batsman.

I considered John Snow and Andy Roberts(who played into the 1980's)
but I went with Jeff Thomson. Frightening before his injury.

Did Sobers play enough in the 70's to qualify?
Would probably slot him in to the 60's if anything.

Feel free to contribute mate. The more the merrier!

Would probably slot him in to the 60's if anything.

Feel free to contribute mate. The more the merrier!
Being born in the 80's it is slightly 70's is probably before my time.

Would tend to agree with you that Sobers probably deserves to be thought of more in the 60's.

Another name to throw up as either a potential all-rounder or quick would have to be Sir Richard Hadlee.

Another name to throw up as either a potential all-rounder or quick would have to be Sir Richard Hadlee.
Paddles ended up playing throughout the entirety of the 80's, so would probably suggest he belongs there.

Paddles ended up playing throughout the entirety of the 80's, so would probably suggest he belongs there.
Debuted in 1973 so could qualify for both. Possibly at his best in the 80's though.

Plenty of great fast bowlers but Jeff Thomson for his scare factor and you have to have the fastest ever bowler in the team. Tony Greig, batsman, Fast bowler, spin bowler and great fieldsman.

Last edited:
Alrighty, I'd say this round is pretty much set in stone.

1970's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

01 SM Gavaskar
03 IM Chappell
06 AW Greig
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Time to fill out the middle order, please forward your nominations for No. 4 & No. 5 BATSMEN.

Alrighty, I'd say this round is pretty much set in stone.

01 SM Gavaskar
03 IM Chappell
06 AW Greig
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Time to fill out the middle order, please forward your nominations for No. 4 & No. 5 BATSMEN.
Does Graeme Pollock qualify?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would add that Pollock played 23 tests and only the last 4 were in the 70's. He did however, play until the late 80's and played in quite a few unofficial "Test Series" against Rebel Touring teams. Most of his cricket was in the then Currie Cup which I don't believe was as strong as the English County Cricket or Sheffield Shield competitions.
The person I'm going to nominate is in a similar situation and played even less tests but had a long career in County cricket and performed exceptionally well averaging 79 against the best bowlers in the world in the WSC. So It's Barry Richards for me.
Greg Chappell is the other batsman, a more than handy bowler and brilliant slip fieldsman who at one stage held the Test record for the most catches. And if I remember correctly scored a century in his first Test and a century in his last. I don't know if he is the only player to achieve that feat.
Really difficult choices as there were some really fine batsmen around in the 70's.

Last edited:
Absolutely yes.
What's happening jle101, you haven't had an emergency callup to the squad in the WI have you.
I reckon G. Chappell is in but you will have to canvas more voters or make an executive decision on the other batsman because at the moment we have 5 different nominations.

What's happening jle101, you haven't had an emergency callup to the squad in the WI have you.
I reckon G. Chappell is in but you will have to canvas more voters or make an executive decision on the other batsman because at the moment we have 5 different nominations.
A trip to the Caribbean has always been on my bucket list but I think the ship sailed many years ago on me making it there as a cricketer!

So then, Greg Chappell is a lock, and as for the No. 5 position, I will throw in a tiebreaker vote for Supercat Clive Lloyd.

01 SM Gavaskar
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd
06 AW Greig
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Continuing on then, let's now select an OPENING BATSMAN to partner Sunny at the top of the order, as well as a WICKETKEEPER.

A trip to the Caribbean has always been on my bucket list but I think the ship sailed many years ago on me making it there as a cricketer!

Continuing on then, let's now select an OPENING BATSMAN to partner Sunny at the top of the order, as well as a WICKETKEEPER.
A couple of Englishmen for those positions.
Geoffrey Boycott, a bit slow but very dependable.
Alan Knott, wonderful keeper and a very good batsman. Only a smidgen ahead of Marsh.

I have only just realised after following the Series in the WI that I am at least a player of T20 standard...................I can definitely reach their standard even though I started playing in 1964 and haven't played for 17 years. I'm quite capable of making bugger all and what's more I could do it very consistently.

Last edited:
In that Case I'd nominate:
Sunil Gavaskar (IND)
Jeff Thomson (AUS)
Barry Richards and Dennis Lillee for me but I only started watching cricket from 78, so I got to look back to work out best from 70's and personally I am including South Africans even bannded by ICC as I saw guys like Barry Richards in World Series Cricket, which best standard Tests there would have even been.
Lillee a no brainer as the fast bowler. The other spots going to be tough to work out.

Any team of the 70s simply must include Andy Roberts.

Knott clearly a better gloveman than Marsh, and a better batsman too.

Alrighty, think Boycs & Knotty have done enough to warrant their spots in the side

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Ok so time to finish off this exercise by selecting the final BOWLER to support the attack. Can be a seamer or spinner, whichever bowler you think deserves to get in the most. Wills & Roberts already have one nom each.

Also, please select who you think should CAPTAIN this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back