Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My opinion, KM is quite possibly the worst talent ID guy on Bigfooty. I think at times he doesn't watch any football. He compared Will Day to Kade Simpson...Really, I can't think of a worst comparison. He think Jack Lukosious is the greatest player to pull on boots, besides Logan McDonald. He is a very clever writer though and has very strong views, issue is most of them are wrong. I'd be very surpirsed if DGB isn't an absolutely elite player because he has the intangible qualities that make a player special..He has the will, drive, leadership and he hates to be beaten. It's all clearly evident but it doesn't show up in the stats so it won't register by Knightmare's tunnel visioned take on the game.
I read and laughed at the Day/Simpson comparisons. Completely different players. Regardless of what he believes, DGB and Day will be franchise players for our club and stars of the competition.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Love his mongrel !!

The best part about it is that it's genuine white line fever, berserker mongrel. When Petracca wound him up about him appealing for a high free in an odd way, it took him a second to realize it was just a jibe. He went from 0-100 and then back down again in the space of seconds.

That kind of mongrel is the true incarnation of it. It's instant reaction, and not prone to any kind of thinking beforehand.

Love it, and love every asset that DGB brings to the table on top of that. In truth his talent is so much more than was expected at this early stage. He was used in a way that made him look like a seasoned pro in the back six. The intercepts, the kicks that set up rebound, and his attack on the man and contest ... not to mention his ability to know where to position himself, and read the ball in flight, are better than advertised during his draft year.

Trying to keep a lid on it with him, but damn the future looks bright if he can keep himself on the park.

The ceiling for him is higher than the roof, to paraphrase Michael Jordan.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I read and laughed at the Day/Simpson comparisons. Completely different players. Regardless of what he believes, DGB and Day will be franchise players for our club and stars of the competition.

How anyone could lump those two together is a little nuts. They can both set up play effectively from the back half, but Day is just on another level (no disrespect to Simpson, who was very, very good for a long period of time at Carlton).

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
To me that's never been an issue. Some of the toughest and most durable footy players, and people in general, are wiry. Muscularity doesn't necessarily make someone tough or strong, actually in a lot of cases the workouts required to build show muscles don't strengthen tendons and other secondary muscle groups.
Tough is more a mindset than muscle.

Beach muscles are so different to the ones used by power endurance athletes like AFL players, surfers, climbers, boxers and so many other sports.

I think some of our younger raw recruits could do with more functional weight. But adding weight just for the sake of size is a bit of a slippery slope if you want to stay mobile and retain the things that make you good in the first place.

in the NBA Shaq gave up his agility to bang on the inside with other big bodied centers. He was obviously one of the greatest, but you could argue he would have been even better if he didn't take the easy way out by bulking up to deal with the heat inside.

Plenty of super lean, strong people make it in sport. Even in the NFL, the absolute crucible for human collision sports, there is only room for size on receivers and corner backs, if they are able to retain the traits that make them elite in the first place.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me that's never been an issue. Some of the toughest and most durable footy players, and people in general, are wiry. Muscularity doesn't necessarily make someone tough or strong, actually in a lot of cases the workouts required to build show muscles don't strengthen tendons and other secondary muscle groups.

Tough is more a mindset than muscle.
I used to hate playing against a bloke who was 6.2, stick thin but wiry, hard and strong. Every time you tackled, bumped or contested a ball with him it was like hitting a solid bag of bones. A bony elbow, shoulder, hip or knee. The more solid lads have a bit of cushioning.

These boys (DAY/DGB) still have to grow into their bodies but will be a handful with age and a bit more match conditioning.

KingCantona

Debutant
Sep 8, 2016
Yavin 4
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man United, Minnesota Timberwolves
I’d like to see Grainger-Barras in one of the higher jumper numbers next year. Typically most of our first round picks start off with a number in the 30 or 40s. Most of them have changed their jumper numbers during their second year.
Let Sicily take over the 23 and give 6 to DGB.

I like the fact that after 3 games we're comparing him with two out and out legends of the club.

TBH I don't care what number he wears. He's wonderfully talented and I really enjoy watching him play.

Back