Preview Changes vs Dogs not Suns (courtesy of loose lips Brayshaw) - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Salem dealing with some sort of injury still imo, hasn't been the same since the Dogs game, came off early against Brisbane the following week too

Put him on a wing and move Brayshaw or even possibly Langdon back?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

the last thing we need is moving those butchers back in defence next to Hunt. Would prefer Lockhart over both if we wanted to move Salem to a wing.

Not saying you should drop him, but jeez on the couch showed how bad Salem's playing lately.

Apparently since round 11 he's gone from the number 2 rated defender to number 68.
His damage by foot is down 70% and his effectiveness in games is down 50%

Clubs have put work into him and he hasn't been able to handle it. Might be time to release him further up the field on a wing.
I think one of the biggest issues compounding the drop off on form is attributed to Langdon and Salem.

We actually used the ball quite well in the first 10-12 games, especially rebounding 50s turning into inside 50s. Our scoring chains starting from defensive 50 have slipped substantially since round 11. Earlier in the season, we were using Salem/Langdon and making our way to the wing a lot easier. The drop off with these two- be it opposition approach or otherwise, is leading to more uncontrolled rebound. This is coming from either dump kicks exiting, or by more run and carry from hunt.

There are a whole range of issues at the moment that include the inconsistent forward line, ball retention inside 50, winning ground ball inside defensive 50 and our inability to win the clearance count which is leading to a decrease in scores from clearance.

Our whole game plan earlier in the season was pressuring the ball user to turn it over through interception, and our scores from turnover/intercept were off the charts. These have since returned to only above average level.

In summary, Langdon and Salem dropping off connection from defensive 50 into attacking 50 is hurting our scoring ability a lot. We are winning the ball back inside defensive 50, but we are struggling to transition to scoring opportunities ourselves, turning it over and resulting in additional inside 50s against us. Without the ball use of these 2, and increased ball movement to hunt, Brayshaw, Viney etc.

OUT: AVB (retire pls), ???

IN: Sparrow, Harmes

Not sure who else goes. Like many are saying Viney still doesn't seem ready, he could have a spell for a week even though there won't be any 2s. Most of the rest of the team played extremely mediocre against the Hawks but no real standouts of who needs to have a week off.

Bowey chomping at the bit for a debut in recent weeks, and I think he's a fair shout for a debut and some things obviously do need changing going off our form in the last month or so. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in. Yes I know he's been training as a Salem-type defender. I'd be happy to deploy him further up the field to test his durability like we did with Fritsch in the early piece around the ground.

Don't want AVB/Melk/Jones/Jetta anywhere near the 22. The bulk of them have been great servicemen of the club, however their bodies are passed it for the modern game.

don't think he looked slow at all, people stuck on a perception from last year. way more impactful than Harmes playing as a half forward

Just me who thought Vanders was ok for a first run? Looked slow but wouldn't mind seeing if adjusting to the level would help.
He might be finished but basing it off how he looked in his first game of the season is so dumb.
Let him get the feel for the level.

Salem dealing with some sort of injury still imo, hasn't been the same since the Dogs game, came off early against Brisbane the following week too
He was great against Port, but kept getting sucked into the contest against the Hawks, so he was constantly handballing from congestion instead of receiving in space. Hard to tell why when watching it on TV.

He was great against Port, but kept getting sucked into the contest against the Hawks, so he was constantly handballing from congestion instead of receiving in space. Hard to tell why when watching it on TV.

Doesn't look to be moving well to me.

Someone explained this really well but I can't remember who.
Against Port they let us play with a spare so Salem can run free and attack as he pleases.

Against lower sides and the Hawks specifically they went 1 on 1 in the front half so Salem had to be accountable. Doesn't influence when he is. Same reason May and Lever didn't dominate

Just me who thought Vanders was ok for a first run? Looked slow but wouldn't mind seeing if adjusting to the level would help.
He was ok

Not as terrible as some as saying

I would give him another week although if Harmes come back he might make way for him

Harrison Petty pulled up well from the game which is good news. I wonder if the club will be ultra cautious with him this week however. id hate for us to do what geelong did with Jeremy Cameron and play him when theres a risk of aggravating it. Im sure theyll have him earmarked for JUH though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harrison Petty pulled up well from the game which is good news. I wonder if the club will be ultra cautious with him this week however. id hate for us to do what geelong did with Jeremy Cameron and play him when theres a risk of aggravating it. Im sure theyll have him earmarked for JUH though
He wouldn't have made it through the second half if he was at any risk. Nothing wrong with him at all

It was absolutely freezing sat night, after having a break and getting cooler, he then came back on and was involved in some crucial plays.

I'd say if he had any muscle worries, he would have done damage going back on.

Was more likely a knock or corkie that hampered him, hence why he sounds like he's fine

Someone explained this really well but I can't remember who.
Against Port they let us play with a spare so Salem can run free and attack as he pleases.

Against lower sides and the Hawks specifically they went 1 on 1 in the front half so Salem had to be accountable. Doesn't influence when he is. Same reason May and Lever didn't dominate

Good points were made On the Couch about Salem, Lever and May being less effective when being forced to play one on one. But I thought their conclusions were a bit weak, they basically said it's up to Salem to still get 35 touches and dominate even if he's being followed around.

For mine it's the overall method that's in question - our midfield is reliant on Lever and May and others being allowed to float free to cover the midfield's clearance losses and turnovers, and they're also reliant on Salem in particular to create good ball movement and hit targets by foot.

It's all well and good to try and win games through structure but if you want to win a flag you also need to be able to win them playing 1v1 footy all over the ground or when teams are smart enough to counter your plan A.

My biggest doubt on us is whether the players who get the ball most often have the skills and the smarts to get the job done regardless of what the opposition throws at us. Since round 9 when teams had seen enough of us to work out plans to counter our plan A we're going at 50/50

Petty has been ******* good recently. His intercept marking is better than Tommo and his man on man work is going ok. Key forwards still aren't kicking bags on us.

Petty has been ******* good recently. His intercept marking is better than Tommo and his man on man work is going ok. Key forwards still aren't kicking bags on us.

I agree, even to the point where i was thinking ahead to next year when Tommo is recovered from his ACL, who would be picked as the third KPD between Petty and him. Not that much between them imo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree, even to the point where i was thinking ahead to next year when Tommo is recovered from his ACL, who would be picked as the third KPD between Petty and him. Not that much between them imo.

Means we don't have to rush Tommo back. Always injuries too. Petty has proven he can play forward too if needed. Tommo at a stretch defensive wing. We have options..

I can actually see a world where we have all four of May, Lever, Petty and Tommo in our best 22

May is versatile enough to play on the Greene types, even players like Charlie Cameron.. Petty taking the #1 KPF for the opposition if he continues to develop. Tommo's versatile enough to play on a second KPF or Gunston type , plus I want him in the team coz he's a beautiful kick, Lever taking the 4th best forward for the opposition and playing third man up. Salem and Rivers the other two.

Bowey to a wing with Langdon. Jordon as backup/potential replacement of Langdon if his funk continues.

B: May Petty Salem
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
C: Bowey Oliver Langdon
HF: Spargo Brown ANB
FF: Pickett TMac Fritsch
F: Gawn Trac Harmes
INT: Jordon Sparrow Jackson Lockhart

Looks good to me

Last edited:
I can actually see a world where we have all four of May, Lever, Petty and Tommo in our best 22

May is versatile enough to play on the Greene types, even players like Charlie Cameron.. Petty taking the #1 KPF for the opposition if he continues to develop. Tommo's versatile enough to play on a second KPF or Gunston type , plus I want him in the team coz he's a beautiful kick, Lever taking the 4th best forward for the opposition and playing third man up. Salem and Rivers the other two.

Bowey to a wing with Langdon. Jordon as backup/potential replacement of Langdon if his funk continues.

B: May Petty Salem
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
C: Bowey Oliver Langdon
HF: Lockhart Brown ANB
FF: Pickett TMac Spargo
F: Gawn Trac Harmes
INT: Jordon Sparrow Jackson Laurie

Looks good to me
Did you just swap our leading goalkicker in Fritsch for Jay Lockhart????
I rate Lockhart, I'm a big fan but why the * would fritta not be best 22 next year? Das crazy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back