Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

If trading CCJ and getting yet another first rounder is the difference between packaging a deal to get Green or not, then goodbye CCJ.

If people think we will fix our midfield just with Green they are dreaming. I am not saying Green is a bad player either by any stretch but its more than that

We need a few in there to bolster what we have.

Its like everyone having a crack at Cotch as if thats the problem

While Chol performed well on Friday night, I'm still of the opinion that we would be better served by CCJ long term than we would be by keeping Chol. On Friday night we got to see Chol playing the back up ruck/3rd forward role, the same role that we wanted CCJ to play before Lynch and Nankervis went out of the side injured, meaning that we never got to see CCJ play that role.

I firmly believe that in a line up where you have Lynch Riewoldt and CCJ inside F50 we'd see less double/triple teaming of Jack and Tom as CCJ is a genuine contested marking threat that would stop opposition defenders from sagging off.

Having watched plenty of CCJ at VFL level this talk about his lack of mobility is a bit of a furphy, CCJ is quite agile and covers the ground extremely well when playing as a ruckman, but also moves well inside F50 in terms of being a hard leader at the ball carrier, but as we've seen an also take a good contested grab.

IMO trading him out would be a big mistake.

I think Chol and CCJ as well as Nank are all keepers.

Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

Clearly the problem is with other areas.

In fact Chol and CCJ help in other areas up the ground providing targets, versatility etc..

Our list has issues in other areas regarding our midfield in particular as well as defence I think

We do not have enough bigger mids even if more outside that go both ways. Someone like Sharp of Gold Coast would have been handy, he is out of reach but we do not have enough running power with marking and contested power in the midfield with presence.

We have enough firepower in our forward line, no need to bolster that yet, we have enough in the ruck to

Someone like a Sam Walsh would be very handy, but clearly he is out of reach

Last edited:
For me, Nank, CCJ and Chol are in. Each offer something different. If Nank goes down Chol and CCJ can operate in tandem to. Others are developing.

We seriously need to fix our midfield and defence
I am with you Mr Magic. I am keeping and playing them all. They look like the stars of the 2025 premiership team(no guarantee Soldo's knee is coming good either )

BUT What do you do if the Suns offer their top5 pick for CCJ (or Chol). You take it don't you?

I am with you Mr Magic. I am keeping and playing them all. They look like the stars of the 2025 premiership team(no guarantee Soldo's knee is coming good either )

BUT What do you do if the Suns offer their top5 pick for CCJ (or Chol). You take it don't you?

Tempting isn't it if that was the case

Lol no one in their right minds are offering pick 5 for those two. Im going to add we are in serious long term trouble if we cannot trade in a top player for a quality kpf. Cmon people We have JR at 33 and big Tom with dodgy knees at 29 or 30.
If any one says to me that CC-J and Chol as forwards are close to the quality of those two then ill spew.Think about about what Jack and Tom are!!! and the age of the blokes we are needing them TO TAKE OVER FROM.

Lol no one in their right minds are offering pick 5 for those two. Im going to add we are in serious long term trouble if we cannot trade in a top player for a quality kpf. Cmon people We have JR at 33 and big Tom with dodgy knees at 29 or 30.
If any one says to me that CC-J and Chol as forwards are close to the quality of those two then ill spew.Think about about what Jack and Tom are!!! and the age of the blokes we are needing them TO TAKE OVER FROM.
Why is everyone freaking out about KPF.
CCJ isnt our only option. Balta is just doing his apprenticeship in the backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Chol performed well on Friday night, I'm still of the opinion that we would be better served by CCJ long term than we would be by keeping Chol. On Friday night we got to see Chol playing the back up ruck/3rd forward role, the same role that we wanted CCJ to play before Lynch and Nankervis went out of the side injured, meaning that we never got to see CCJ play that role.

I firmly believe that in a line up where you have Lynch Riewoldt and CCJ inside F50 we'd see less double/triple teaming of Jack and Tom as CCJ is a genuine contested marking threat that would stop opposition defenders from sagging off.

Having watched plenty of CCJ at VFL level this talk about his lack of mobility is a bit of a furphy, CCJ is quite agile and covers the ground extremely well when playing as a ruckman, but also moves well inside F50 in terms of being a hard leader at the ball carrier, but as we've seen an also take a good contested grab.

IMO trading him out would be a big mistake.
Good point about another tall in the fwd line. Soldo has done that to good effect too. Soldo will come back through the VFL. He doesn't seem to have footy career ambitions outside of RFC. Dimma doesn't mind playing two rucks. But not that keen on 3 KPD or KPFs. With Bolton being the main signing priority I don't know how much cap space there is. I feel that we can't match the offers both are getting. I feel that Chol might be more invested in Punt Rd. Playing quite a few games over the last few years. But I wouldn't begrude either boys moving to make some money.
Miller is always getting injured just as a spot in the 22 arises. Maybe move CCJ down the backline anyhow. He is a good mark and mobile enough (just) We need KPD depth. Maybe move Balta up fwd when JR retires.
Anyhow CJ is finally available again. Who will Dimma select?

The Soldo Nank combo is close to the best in the AFL. They'll improve our midfield massively if they play. That allows Chol to play to his strengths - chop out ruck, forward and running through the middle.

CCJ is definitely a better KPF than Chol. But if he goes for pick 5 then it opens up other opportunities for us.

If we can get Green and Cerra our midfield, without drafting, is massively strengthened for years (Soldo and Nank fit).

That means we have 3 first rounders, 2 seconds and 2 thirds for trading and drafting. Lose 2 firsts for Green and Cerra, but do some trading to get another first rounder, and maybe into next year. We lose a few players and strengthen our midfield with youth, and draft a KPF and midfielder in the top 20. Another pick or 2 in the 20's.

So we end up going into 2022 with a stronger midfield, high end talent drafted and our core of older guys mostly intact. We then have to transition over the next 2 years to a younger squad with, hopefully, a core of A grade talent (Shai, Meatball, Green, Cerra(?), Stack(?), new guys), great ruck combo and a solid spine.

That would essentially mean that our over 30s guys start to either retire, lose some game time or continue on at a high level (JR wins another Coleman). And we create a solid younger squad that can carry us for another 5 - 10 years.

If all goes right.

The Soldo Nank combo is close to the best in the AFL. They'll improve our midfield massively if they play. That allows Chol to play to his strengths - chop out ruck, forward and running through the middle.

CCJ is definitely a better KPF than Chol. But if he goes for pick 5 then it opens up other opportunities for us.

If we can get Green and Cerra our midfield, without drafting, is massively strengthened for years (Soldo and Nank fit).

That means we have 3 first rounders, 2 seconds and 2 thirds for trading and drafting. Lose 2 firsts for Green and Cerra, but do some trading to get another first rounder, and maybe into next year. We lose a few players and strengthen our midfield with youth, and draft a KPF and midfielder in the top 20. Another pick or 2 in the 20's.

So we end up going into 2022 with a stronger midfield, high end talent drafted and our core of older guys mostly intact. We then have to transition over the next 2 years to a younger squad with, hopefully, a core of A grade talent (Shai, Meatball, Green, Cerra(?), Stack(?), new guys), great ruck combo and a solid spine.

That would essentially mean that our over 30s guys start to either retire, lose some game time or continue on at a high level (JR wins another Coleman). And we create a solid younger squad that can carry us for another 5 - 10 years.

If all goes right.
Soldo and Nank won't be a combo if one of Chol and CCJ are still around next year.

I cannot see how anyone can really rate CCJ at this stage. He has done next to nothing due mainly to lack of opportunity and then injury. He has some strength. He is a good mark and is reasonably mobile. As a ruck he is a bit short given that he is not a Nank type bull. He doesn't have a great spring either but he will get better. Anyway he will be 2nd ruck with Nank, and battle that our with Chol, who is a fair way in front at the moment.

As a forward replacing Jack, I can't see it. Jack leads, doubles back, takes hangers, gets half his goals through forward smarts etc. CCJ can take a mark and that is pretty much it. 3rd forward next year if Jack stays on or doesn't get injured, again in a battle with Chol.

We need a new forward to replace Jack, an all round forward. We don't have one, Balta maybe. So we better draft one or two or pinch one. Not many good ones around.

Last edited:
I think this year has shown that Soldo is far more important than we thought. Need at least one of him and Nank fit at all times.
abso bloody lutely
nicant smashes us for an inspired victory​
marshall/ryder smashes us for an inspired victory​
grundy smashes us for an inspired victory​
that doesn't happen with Ivy , no way hose

abso bloody lutely
nicant smashes us for an inspired victory​
marshall/ryder smashes us for an inspired victory​
grundy smashes us for an inspired victory​
that doesn't happen with Ivy , no way hose
Disagree.
Nic Nat will beat everyone, and Soldo and Nank together might curtail him. Nanks ability at ground level negates him a bit and makes it hard for midfielders generally. Soldo cant do that.

marshall/ryder smashed Chol. Nank smashed marshall last time they played each other. Ryder is about the best tap ruck going at the moment I reckon, but Nank hasn't played him for a while.

grundy does not smash us, Nank and he have good battles, Nank has won a few in fact and in 2021 form I reckon Nank could match him quite well.

Nank matched Gawn this year, and Gawn usually spanks us.

Reckon with Nank in we are better with Chol as a second ruck as Soldo is no use up front.

We arent getting a first round pick let alone pick 5 for CCJ or Chol. Would be lucky to get a pick under 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back