Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be kidding.

Healy is an absolute tit, easily the worst special comments commentator. Putting aside some of the deplorable play by play callers like Darcy etc.

Sucks the ass of West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Brisbane constantly.

No idea how he's still in the game from an era when the likes of Dougie, Dippa, Drew Morphett, Sandy Roberts etc etc all got moved aside. He's still around 25 years later.
I like ****.

The criticism of David King is way off.

Kingy obviously has to try to be more balanced when he's doing our games in order to be professional. However, there is no one in the media that is more passionate & positive about our club (in particular our youth) then him.

360, First Crack, Monday Means Test... He regularly plugs Norths youngsters, significantly more then any other media person.

Kingy obviously has to try to be more balanced when he's doing our games in order to be professional. However, there is no one in the media that is more passionate & positive about our club (in particular our youth) then him.

360, First Crack, Monday Means Test... He regularly plugs Norths youngsters, significantly more then any other media person.

You enjoyed his passionate "North Melbourne should not apply for a priority pick" drivel?

You enjoyed his passionate "North Melbourne should not apply for a priority pick" drivel?

I didn't enjoy his regular suggestion of "maybe they should send Ziebell into the midfield" drivel either. Doesn't mean he isn't passionate & doesn't love the club.

If he was allowed to go full nuff, he would be banned from North games.

I didn't enjoy his regular suggestion of "maybe they should send Ziebell into the midfield" drivel either. Doesn't mean he isn't passionate & doesn't love the club.

If he was allowed to go full nuff, he would be banned from North games.

I don't doubt he supports us still but he (just less than other north media people) seems to double bend backwards to appear unbiased more than anyone from any other club does.

I thought his no priority pick rant was potentially quite damaging to our prospects of getting one, considering just about everything the AFL does is PR driven.

If he had the club's best interests at heart he'd have STFU. Even Sarah Jones was looking at him after it with an expression of "um ok David".

Mate, he's playing games with that IMO. Not too many talking about PP's for North... then he jumps out playing devil's advocate.

We shouldn’t. We don’t deserve one, we won’t get one, so applying is just a waste of time and effort.

What does deserving have to do with it? Based on criteria set down we do deserve one. It's a complete rort as are all the AFL academies and bullshit priority selection systems. The GC Suns "deserve" one apparently because they were s**t 2 years ago - even though their season was better than either of our last 2 years. The word deserve doesn't belong in the AFL because integrity has nothing to do with just about any decision they make.

I reckon Kingy has come round. I think for a period of time he said nothing complimentary about the nmfc (i suspect it had something to do with B.Scott and not believing in the direction we were being taken).

Throghout games Kingy does seem to go abit too the other way so as to not appear biased. However, as others have mentioned (outside of calling the games), he is one of our staunchest (if not our only) media spruikers.

Make no mistake, he, like us, believe. And like us, can see it happening before our/his eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're aware under the criteria used until about 6 years ago we'd have qualified in each of the last 2 years?

You're clearly sour about the PP chat. We aren't getting one & even if we didn't win a game this year, it wouldn't be anything more then an end of 1st round pick.

Should he have not got so passionate about it? potentially, but to infer that it prevented us from getting one, is rubbish

What does deserving have to do with it? Based on criteria set down we do deserve one. It's a complete rort as are all the AFL academies and bullshit priority selection systems. The GC Suns "deserve" one apparently because they were sh*t 2 years ago - even though their season was better than either of our last 2 years. The word deserve doesn't belong in the AFL because integrity has nothing to do with just about any decision they make.
Based on criteria set down we don’t. You have to take injuries into account, as per the criteria and we have shown with a full list we are more than competitive.

It’s a complete waste of time. Pick your battles, this is one we won’t win.

You're aware under the criteria used until about 6 years ago we'd have qualified in each of the last 2 years?
Yep, and it was changed for good reason. 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Spending time on applying for a PP is just a waste of time. We have better things to concentrate on.

Pick your battles, this is one we won’t win.

Absolutely. But it has nothing to do with "deserving". The AFL writes secret "rules" that suit themselves. Let's be honest, the rules are whatever suits them and whatever protects the bad investments they've already made. It has nothing to do with being deserved.

You're clearly sour about the PP chat. We aren't getting one & even if we didn't win a game this year, it wouldn't be anything more then an end of 1st round pick.

Should he have not got so passionate about it? potentially, but to infer that it prevented us from getting one, is rubbish

Of course I'm sour. I want our club to utilise every permissible advantage it can gain. You love the draft up approach, picks 20 and 21 would be might handy to go with #1 this year.

I don't think David King went on a live national football broadcast with a prepared position on North Melbourne getting a priority pick accidentally.

Either it was his premeditated opinion (which is unhelpful), he was doing his master's bidding or he was attempting to play some sort of double bluff 3D chess to help us.

None of these were particularly helpful and it is naive to think that what's spouted on official AFL broadcast program sits completely isolated from decisions made at head office.

These broadcasts will be used to massage various positions they take, in this case seemingly one of not wanting to provide us with additional assistance.

Several times they’ve asked kingy a question about north during the game and kingy has gone I love what the other team is doing. Think that’s bullshit.
I don’t know if he does it when other teams are playing as I don’t care and might of missed it.

Yep, and it was changed for good reason. 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Spending time on applying for a PP is just a waste of time. We have better things to concentrate on.

Under the newer discretional system Brisbane won 7 games in the 2015-16 period and received a priority pick.

We've won 6.6 games over a corresponding period at present. Using precedent we are more than entitled unless there is some 'feel' aspect I'm missing (a la David King's rant) as to why it's un-NorthMelbourne-like to even consider applying for one?

Under the newer discretional system Brisbane won 7 games in the 2015-16 period and received a priority pick.

We've won 6.6 games over a corresponding period at present. Using precedent we are more than entitled unless there is some 'feel' aspect I'm missing (a la David King's rant) as to why it's un-NorthMelbourne-like to even consider applying for one?
6.6? Have you prorated last years shorter season? How many games were missed due to injury over the same period? You need to list all the facts with regards to the criteria before we can tell if “feel” is involved.

6.6? Have you prorated last years shorter season? How many games were missed due to injury over the same period? You need to list all the facts with regards to the criteria before we can tell if “feel” is involved.

6.5. A typo KT but thank you for picking it up.

No I haven't laid out full week on week injury lists between 2015-16 and 2020-21. Since the AFL don't publicly state their "special sauce" I can only assume that equivalent games won (pro-rating only marginally kicks that up), high games missed due to injury tallies for us in 2020-21 and other unexpected events (Rhyce's mental health resignation) put us somewhat on par with Brisbane in this discussion.

If there's a big mitigating factor as to why they justified getting a priority pick and we don't, it's certainly not immediately apparent to me.

ALL THIS SAID - I do not expect to get a priority pick. But I don't why we'd roll over and accept it without some analysis and questions to head office first.

Was he wrong?

He was making comment that it wasn't the "North Melbourne" way which seemed silly to me.

I've never heard him utter a word denigrating Richmond, Brisbane, Collingwood, Hawthorn or the Bulldog's achievements because they received priority picks so it seemed inconsistent to set this much higher bar of integrity just for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back