Universal Love Team of Tigers who never played in a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Cor tigris

Debutant
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
STurner.jpeg
I’m not sure if anyone has already done this on here (I had a quick look and couldn’t find anything), but if I’m going over old ground I apologise.

I remember only too well the perpetual disappointment of the years between the mid 80s and 2017. Granted there was plenty to like about for 2013-2015, but those three elimination finals were also heartbreaking. Like all of the yellow and black persuasion, I have bathed in the joy of recent success and who among us would have predicted three in four years? I have often thought that I hope the current batch of players know how grateful we are for the joy they have bought us. By extension I wonder about the players who never achieved a premiership but who played their hearts out week in week out nonetheless, and I wondered if you could bring them all together what that team might look like.

MKnights2.jpeg

Below is a first attempt at a team of the best Richmond players from the AFL era never to have won a premiership, although I’m sure there would be many more players going back further than that. Let me know who I forgotten and what I’ve screwed up.

Backs D Gaspar A Kellaway S Turner
Half-backs J Bowden C Newman D Kellaway
Centreline G Tivendale M Knights B Deledio
Half-forwards M Rogers N Brown N Daffy
Forwards M Richardson M Gale J Hogg
Followers G Stafford W Campbell S Tuck
Interchange T Free M Coughlan N Foley P Broderick
Emergencies K Johnson D Jackson C Naish M Pickering

YoungRicho.jpeg

Others (stiff) . . .
C Bond
C Lambert
A Krakour
B Holland
K Pettifer
M Gale
M Chaffey
D Rodan
M White
J Charles

RFCsong.jpeg

Last edited:
Thats a bloody good team ! Matchwinners on every line ! Would they have the killer instinct to go all the way ? I can't see how that team wouldn't kick 20 + goals every game ! Nice.

(Btw, and not being critical but if you're doing a retro team could you put players in their actual positions ? This modern idea of naming the team like it's in alphabetical order across the lines or something drives me nuts. Richo at CHF where he belongs instead of Nathan Brown and Chris Newman at CHB ?? when Gas and Scotty Turner are in the pockets ? Love your team and concept but would be awesome to see them named where they would have been named in the olden days...Mmmmmm ahh yes the olden days).

Great concept. Hope it draws lots of comments.

Geez imagine Matty Knights in our team these days...swoon ! Although he'd have to drop those shorts down six inches ! Lol

View attachment 1182179
I’m not sure if anyone has already done this on here (I had a quick look and couldn’t find anything), but if I’m going over old ground I apologise.

I remember only too well the perpetual disappointment of the years between the mid 80s and 2017. Granted there was plenty to like about for 2013-2015, but those three elimination finals were also heartbreaking. Like all of the yellow and black persuasion, I have bathed in the joy of recent success and who among us would have predicted three in four years? I have often thought that I hope the current batch of players know how grateful we are for the joy they have bought us. By extension I wonder about the players who never achieved a premiership but who played their hearts out week in week out nonetheless, and I wondered if you could bring them all together what that team might look like.

View attachment 1182187

Below is a first attempt at a team of the best Richmond players from the AFL era never to have won a premiership, although I’m sure there would be many more players going back further than that. Let me know who I forgotten and what I’ve screwed up.

Backs D Gaspar A Kellaway S Turner
Half-backs J Bowden C Newman D Kellaway
Centreline G Tivendale M Knights B Deledio
Half-forwards M Rogers N Brown N Daffy
Forwards M Richardson M Gale J Hogg
Interchange T Free M Coughlan N Foley P Broderick
Emergencies K Johnson D Jackson C Naish M Pickering

View attachment 1182198

Others (stiff) . . .
C Bond
C Lambert
A Krakour
B Holland
K Pettifer
M Gale
M Chaffey
D Rodan
M White
J Charles

View attachment 1182191
awesome concept there Tiger

My TEAM

Backs D Kellaway D Gaspar C Bond
Half-backs J Bowden S Turner C Newman
Centreline M Coughlan D Jackson M Knights
Half-forwards M Rogers N Brown B Delidio
Forwards M Chaffey M Richardson A Krakouer
Interchange T Free N Foley P Broderick B Gale
Emergencies K Johnson D Rodan(goal umpire also;)) C Naish M White

My TEAM

The fact Matt White is making the emergencies shows why we didnt win anything for 4 decades

Thats a bloody good team ! Matchwinners on every line ! Would they have the killer instinct to go all the way ? I can't see how that team wouldn't kick 20 + goals every game ! Nice.

(Btw, and not being critical but if you're doing a retro team could you put players in their actual positions ? This modern idea of naming the team like it's in alphabetical order across the lines or something drives me nuts. Richo at CHF where he belongs instead of Nathan Brown and Chris Newman at CHB ?? when Gas and Scotty Turner are in the pockets ? Love your team and concept but would be awesome to see them named where they would have been named in the olden days...Mmmmmm ahh yes the olden days).

Great concept. Hope it draws lots of comments.
Yep, good call RE positions, I might have rushed it a bit 🙃

My TEAM

Emergencies K Johnson D Rodan(goal umpire also;)) C Naish M Whi,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Maxfield for Chaffey, A Kellaway for Newman, Maric for Stafford...Hogg at FF, Richo CHF, Benny Gale takes Turner's spot, Stafford goes to interchange...
Oh wow Maxfield, very yes. One of my favorites and I kind of assumed he’d won a premiership with Sydney (whoops). He would have to come in. It might well be Chaffey who has to make way. I like Maric a lot too, but really can’t separate he and Stafford.

Sorry. Only skimmed through it. Thought it was a bit "recent".
Yeah it becomes an even tougher task if you go back further. Neville Crowe, Des Rowe, Roy Wright, Maurice Rioli . . . and how comparable are WAFL, VFL, SANFL, etc?

My TEAM

Jake Aarts, Corey Ellis (well, he was a grand final emergency as his number one fan on here kept telling me to remind me of his brilliance), Ben Lennon and Shaun Hampson.
Richo aside, Knights, Kellaways x 2, Deledio, Broderick, Bond and Scotty T would be the ones I'd like most to have seen win one. And of course Graeme Landy back in the day.

I'd have to have Hoggy in there at FF. His record is amazing, loved to kick bags too.

It's actually sad that many only remember him as the shell of a player he became at Fitzroy due to a crippling back injury.
Was a brilliant player in his day and carried us in many games. His 10 v the PIes on Mother's Day in '91 was an absolute masterclass and it was always the dilemma, playing him at full back or full forward as he was a fantastic player at both ends of the ground. We needed to clone him.
Remember meeting him about five years ago in the Maurice Rioli Room; an absolute ripping bloke too.

It's actually sad that many only remember him as the shell of a player he became at Fitzroy due to a crippling back injury.
Was a brilliant player in his day and carried us in many games. His 10 v the PIes on Mother's Day in '91 was an absolute masterclass and it was always the dilemma, playing him at full back or full forward as he was a fantastic player at both ends of the ground. We needed to clone him.
Remember meeting him about five years ago in the Maurice Rioli Room; an absolute ripping bloke too.

Jeff Hogg would still be a dominant player today. Played in an atrocious team. I remember going to the MCG as a young one in the early 90's and we were truly s**t. He would be a shining light in those s**t teams.

To be honest our premiership team now would absolutely demolish these teams.

Jeff Hogg would still be a dominant player today. Played in an atrocious team. I remember going to the MCG as a young one in the early 90's and we were truly sh*t. He would be a shining light in those sh*t teams.

To be honest our premiership team now would absolutely demolish these teams.

We had Jeff Hogg, some exciting young talent - the likes of Knights, Campbell, Lambert and Free who kicked on - and then a group of battlers.

How about Maxfield for Chaffey, A Kellaway for Newman, Maric for Stafford...Hogg at FF, Richo CHF, Benny Gale takes Turner's spot, Stafford goes to interchange...
Yeah Maric I forgot about and Maxfield I deliberately left out
The fact Matt White is making the emergencies shows why we didnt win anything for 4 decades
hahaha The Silky Butterfly was Emergency for us in the 2017 GF and probably known on here to be the greatest ever named as one. lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back