Lavy_Panther

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2005
Mumbai Dustbowl
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parthiv Patel
Jed's an interesting one moving forward.

He's a heart and soul player, definitely great depth to have, but you can just see him being forced out by sheer weight of numbers in the midfield in the next few years.

Would be great if Noble could re-purpose him like he has with Turner and Ziebell, as I can't see a spot for him in the center with the emergence of Thomas, Powell and Phillips as center square options that need game time there. That's also excluding our top pick this year.

I agree with this.

I think what will hurt Jed the most is his inability to hit a target by foot. A fundamental of the game plan is to bite off an aggressive 45 degree kick into the middle whenever you get a chance in order to open up the field. Jed doesn’t have that ability.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with this.

I think what will hurt Jed the most is his inability to hit a target by foot. A fundamental of the game plan is to bite off an aggressive 45 degree kick into the middle whenever you get a chance in order to open up the field. Jed doesn’t have that ability.

But has the capacity to win the inside ball to give it to those who can. Dont undersell what he brings

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He's a heart and soul player, definitely great depth to have, but you can just see him being forced out by sheer weight of numbers in the midfield in the next few years.

Would be great if Noble could re-purpose him like he has with Turner and Ziebell, as I can't see a spot for him in the center with the emergence of Thomas, Powell and Phillips as center square options that need game time there. That's also excluding our top pick this year.
As you mentioned thats probably a couple years away. He could spend more time forward when the kids push him out

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with this.

I don't know, a lot of players who previous fitted the same bill - or who I think do.
Ziebell, Walker, Hall, Turner etc have really improved their accuracy and I wonder if it has to do with Noble's game plan. Shorter kicks being hit by players making space and presenting.

It would be interesting to see how he goes with this free flowing footy rather than the congested stuff of the past 4 years.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The List Management team are across this, hence why he took so long to re-sign on 2 years.

I can see him playing a small forward role in the future.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I don't know, a lot of players who previous fitted the same bill - or who I think do.
Ziebell, Walker, Hall, Turner etc have really improved their accuracy and I wonder if it has to do with Noble's game plan. Shorter kicks being hit by players making space and presenting.

It would be interesting to see how he goes with this free flowing footy rather than the congested stuff of the past 4 years.

Ive noticed the same, i guess when all you had to do was bomb to a pack down the line create a stoppage, rinse and repeat then skills werent used as much. Whats impressed me just as much is our weight of kick, how many times its actually to our advantage. Skill wise we're a totally different team, let alone our spread being far superior to previous decades.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with this.

I don't know about that.

In a few of his early games he was kicking some really nice ones at 45 degree angles. Only thing is, he was aiming straight.

But getting serious - Jed's in and under work, and a willingness for the blokes around him to provide an outside option instead of expecting him to land a ball onto Ben Brown's outstretched palms gets him a game in my book.

Jed will just end up playing the forward pressure role that Mahony does but at least Jed will do more than just that

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jed will just end up playing the forward pressure role that Mahony does but at least Jed will do more than just that
I cannot think of a worse way to use Jed and Mahony than that. Jed's fundamentally an inside mid, at times last year he was carrying the onball brigade. Tackling machine and a great contested ball winner, but with less skill in his entire body than TT has in his little finger. Couldn't hit an elephant at 5 yards. The amount of times he butchered that last kick inside 50 last season is actually incredible

On the other hand, Mahony does at least have skill in his disposal. He knows how to kick it to the leading forwards and has an instinctive knowledge of where his teammates are. Not to mention his pressure acts which are always up there near the top.

I'm flogging a dead horse here but your hatred of Mahony is laughable. If you don't see the value he brings as a link up half forward then nothing can be done for you. And if you think that Jed will play that position better than him..... I don't even have the words

Anyone with a subscription willing to paste the north section?

NORTH MELBOURNE
Out of contract (16): Shaun Atley (UFA), Tom Campbell (UFA), Trent Dumont (UFA), Jacob Edwards, Taylor Garner (UFA), Aaron Hall, Charlie Ham, Kyron Hayden (UFA), Matt McGuinness, Connor Menadue (UFA), Robbie Tarrant (UFA), Dom Tyson, Josh Walker (UFA), Patrick Walker, Will Walker (UFA), Jack Ziebell (UFA)

Aiden Bonar’s encouraging progress earned him a two-year deal. Mid-season draftees Edwards and Ham are also set for extensions, including up to three years for the former. Negotiations for Ziebell and Atley are on pause, but they are expected to each receive at least one more year. Josh Walker is on track for a 2022 deal, and the Roos want Tarrant to play on. Dumont is keen to be an onballer and could explore his free agency options, while Hall’s been prolific down back and preliminary discussions are underway. Garner faces a long wait but offers upside, while Tyson has played only six games in three seasons. McGuinness could get a third year as a category B rookie, and Patrick Walker is going well.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing that Jed brings is pressure - Archer like pressure - and as could be seen on Sunday we just dont have someone in the midfield who can do that.

Jed has a very clear role - start in the middle and put the fear of god into the parishes, merret's, mcrea's of this world.

atm we are all flash with no pressure - hence we look good in patches but can't keep it going.

Jed brings a hard edge to the mid field - a preparedness to tackle and defend as if his life depends upon it.

We wont be going anywhere until we get the balance in the middle right.

Jed provides the balance we lack - his being out is a key factor why we are last on the ladder this year.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Interesting that Atu is not listed. That would mean he's contracted for next year.

Edit: Confirmed by MM that Young and Atu are contracted for 2022.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if we would have lured Atu across for a one year deal.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NORTH MELBOURNE
Out of contract (16): Shaun Atley (UFA), Tom Campbell (UFA), Trent Dumont (UFA), Jacob Edwards, Taylor Garner (UFA), Aaron Hall, Charlie Ham, Kyron Hayden (UFA), Matt McGuinness, Connor Menadue (UFA), Robbie Tarrant (UFA), Dom Tyson, Josh Walker (UFA), Patrick Walker, Will Walker (UFA), Jack Ziebell (UFA)

Aiden Bonar’s encouraging progress earned him a two-year deal. Mid-season draftees Edwards and Ham are also set for extensions, including up to three years for the former. Negotiations for Ziebell and Atley are on pause, but they are expected to each receive at least one more year. Josh Walker is on track for a 2022 deal, and the Roos want Tarrant to play on. Dumont is keen to be an onballer and could explore his free agency options, while Hall’s been prolific down back and preliminary discussions are underway. Garner faces a long wait but offers upside, while Tyson has played only six games in three seasons. McGuinness could get a third year as a category B rookie, and Patrick Walker is going well.
At least half of that 16 won't be on the list next year - either delisted/traded/fa.

As a starting point those underlined can be expected to depart - depending on what happens with list sizes following the current covid impacts it may be more than 8.

Cam McCarthy is still in play.
1626860348569.jpeg

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NORTH MELBOURNE

reasonable summary (for once)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Remember when the media was running with it being a fact that we had negotiated a 4 year deal for Edwards prior to picking him up in the mid season draft? And then how he consistently denied it every time he was asked after being drafted? And how now, months down the track, they're saying he's "set" for an extension of up to 3 year?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Remember when the media was running with it being a fact that we had negotiated a 4 year deal for Edwards prior to picking him up in the mid season draft? And then how he consistently denied it every time he was asked after being drafted? And how now, months down the track, they're saying he's "set" for an extension of up to 3 year?

I reckon we wrote it on a piece of paper and put it in the same drawer at AFL House where Kelly's 8yr deal is.

I reckon we wrote it on a piece of paper and put it in the same drawer at AFL House where Kelly's 8yr deal is.
Nah, couldn’t have, Caro would have somehow blasted us for it
“North signs schoolboy to 4 year deal, requires AFL intervention & relocation”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back