List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whilst I don't doubt any of what you are saying is true, if you honestly believe that Tom Lynch would have a greater effect on the players off the field than Shannon Hurn, I would suggest that you are greatly underestimating Hurn's ability as a player and leader. That is no insult to Tom Lynch's general ability in that regard. There would be very few better leaders in the game than Shannon Hurn.

The only reason I would agree with not getting Shannon Hurn to the club is that we left it one year too late. We should have done it last year.
That would be my fear too, and its a totally valid fear (although the way he played and moved around on the weekend did slightly alleviate that for me).

But there's always risk at 34, he could be fantastic for a season and not change an iota, or barely make it through the preseason. Father time has never lost a battle!

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Agree with your take on Hurn. Been a great player and still has some value to contribute somewhere.
But not here.
Most of us agree that we have our own senior players that we should continue to retire or trade from our list. But to delist Lynch for example and then recruit Hurn is hurtful to the playing group and the fans alike.
Hurn would be brilliant at the Suns though.
Could we piss Wright off and bring in Hurn as our SANFL player/onfield leader/captain/coach type?..

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think you'd struggle to get him off his farm once he hangs up the boots at AFL level. Country kid
Play a year or 2 and then in the development side of things at the club with Marco Bello. He and Marco were premiership teammates at Centrals before he was drafted.

Another position I could envisage him in would be high performance manager at the Redbacks. He did play underage cricket for the state as well and had a rookie contract available to him before him before being drafted.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you watch Sundays game?
To be honest, hard to pay too much attention to our games and wouldn't really surprise me that a WCE defender looked good against us, we normally make McGovern look like a 2 million dollar man.

Hurn playing decent games isn't beyond him so probably a bit harsh to say he's cooked but he's had a couple of calf issues this year and turns 34 in a couple months time. I'd be pretty disappointed if we wasted a list position on someone who is 34 years old to come to a team like ours as we won't be competing next season and I don't really see him at the same leadership level as Hodge.

Read what WCE supporters have complained about him this year and maybe he would be a good fit, likes to go the long down the right from kick ins which has been an Adelaide go to for a decade just about now.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nailing picks is arguably the biggest part of it, but nailing the players you bring in via trade towards the latter end of the rebuild is also important

Brisbane has nailed Andrews, McCluggage and Bailey in the past few years. Hipwood, McInerney, Starcevich and Berry have been pretty decent for where they were drafted, too. Despite that, a large part of their rebuild has been bringing in key players like Neale, Cameron, Lyons, Daniher, McCarthy, Birchall, Hodge, Adams etc

Melbourne too. Obviously they hit big on Oliver/Petracca/Salem/Pickett/Jackson, but bringing in May, Langdon and Lever has also helped them a lot (a bit of a greater focus on drafting with the Dees)

To me, there's still time to come out of our rebuild successful. Guys like Thilthorpe and Schoenberg are hopefully going to be real hits, but we obviously need to find a lot more through the draft. Hopefully, a few guys currently on our list, plus some in the next draft or two can contribute to that. We then need to start hitting on the established talent we bring in from the 2022 off-season onwards - since 2017, we've hit on one recycled player out of seven (Keays). That record is nowhere near good enough either

I do agree that throwing guys like Keath and Greenwood away for basically nothing screams pig-headedness. Some were the right call, thankfully (Atkins, Hartigan, CEY, Jenkins, Jacobs)
The biggest thing is that young guys can’t perform well without senior players guiding them. Melbourne has come good after some key personal like May came in, same as Brisbane. When the load is lighter, young players perform better but in our case it totally different. Our senior guys are no good and like Sanders said, there is a total reliance on Tex up forward. Laird and Keys are ok but Sloane is shot, the young players have got way to much responsibility and can’t perform constantly.
This rebuild will be long and hard but I think and we all thought it would be easy, definitely not this hard this early

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a contributing factor but our horrendous list management in general is as much to blame

Trading in Gibbs
Forcing out Lyons and getting peanuts
Refusing to trade Jenkins when his value was high
Refusing to trade Lynch when his value was high
Failing to bluff over Brad Crouch and botching his value as a free agent
Giving away Keath and Greenwood
Retaining Thompson for too long
Retaining Douglas for too long
Retaining Mackay for WAY too long
Trading in Hampton and Menzel who were both crap and we also refused to play
Retaining Sloane for too long

It's botched deal after botched deal. We managed to claw back some value from Lever, Cameron and McGovern but ******* hell we stuffed up a great many things which cost us a ton of value
Hindsight is great 😊

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If there was ever a player to throw a Luke Hodge deal at, I would happily throw it at Bunga Hurn this offseason.

After last week its hard to believe he's almost 34 and at 298 games, he still moves around like the exact same player he's always been. 10/10 for leadership, hard body, almost never beaten in a contest, elite ball reading and intercepting, and firing 60m lasers straight onto his teammates chest.

If WC doesn't offer him another contract i'd take that talent, on field coaching and leadership down back for a season or 2 in a heartbeat. Especially if Talia moves on.

I would say yes but only if Talia moves on. Talia has been leading that defence for years and whilst fresh eyes behind the ball woukd be welcome, having 2 organisers in their twilight is overkill.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
And that's exactly what Hurn could bring in spades. As long as he doesn't drop off a cliff as a player (which i'm just not seeing) then i'd be all for it.

Would take a huge load of Doedee, especially if he becomes captain next season, which I think is on the cards

Agree on Hurn, but no way Sloane hands back the captaincy. He'll captain to the end of his current contract and onky hand it over if it's a condition of an extension.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with your take on Hurn. Been a great player and still has some value to contribute somewhere.
But not here.
Most of us agree that we have our own senior players that we should continue to retire or trade from our list. But to delist Lynch for example and then recruit Hurn is hurtful to the playing group and the fans alike.
Hurn would be brilliant at the Suns though.

Fresh eyes from a successful club should be welcomed by the playing group. And give a s**t about the fans, it's a performance industry. Lynch, assuming he's not getting offered a contract, might be on the outer because we have options next year that we want to go with. Talia is looking done or gone or both and we have no experience of note back there. We've got Tex up forward and Sloane in the middle but nothing if similar ilk down back. If Talia is staying, it's a firm no, but if he's not, it's hell yes. And it's irrelevant to Lynch's situation and thinking we couldn't address a leadership gap diwn back for fear of hurting the player's or fan's delicate feelings is not an attitude of a high performance organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I suggest you listen to some of the younger players and coaches who have been more than glowing of Tom's off field work with his teammates numerous times because you are not only wrong you are 100% wrong on that score.

Yeh, and as if they'd know or have a comparison or say anything different anyway. And how's it working for us?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be honest, hard to pay too much attention to our games and wouldn't really surprise me that a WCE defender looked good against us, we normally make McGovern look like a 2 million dollar man.

Hurn playing decent games isn't beyond him so probably a bit harsh to say he's cooked but he's had a couple of calf issues this year and turns 34 in a couple months time. I'd be pretty disappointed if we wasted a list position on someone who is 34 years old to come to a team like ours as we won't be competing next season and I don't really see him at the same leadership level as Hodge.

Read what WCE supporters have complained about him this year and maybe he would be a good fit, likes to go the long down the right from kick ins which has been an Adelaide go to for a decade just about now.

Are you saying that it's ok to use a list spot on our own 34 year olds because of their experience within our 4 walls but it'd be a waste to bring in a 34 year old known leader from a club that has had genuine success? No wonder nothing really ever changes at our club.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
A lot of this was being said before it actually occurred. Signing Laird for 5 years is another one as well, especially as he was already contracted this year.
All this would have been worth it if we won the 17 flag. I didn’t want Gibbs at all and was vocal about it but i understand the choice. Stupid decisions were made chasing a flag and we aren’t the only club that’s done that before.
As for list changes, it’s easier to say it after a few years and seeing the bad things that’s happened

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you saying that it's ok to use a list spot on our own 34 year olds because of their experience within our 4 walls but it'd be a waste to bring in a 34 year old known leader from a club that has had genuine success? No wonder nothing really ever changes at our club.
Where have I said anything remotely like that?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Brisbane?
Their first 2 years?

They’ve been rebuilding since the last days of Leigh Matthews
Their most recent rebuild has an obvious beginning with the arrival of Fagan in 2017, though.

Big list and staff change.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Hurn may not offer a lot more than Lynch on field now, but I bet you he does off the field. Would Hurn ever not have himself ready to play if he was sub like Lynch did earlier this year?
Couldn't be more wrong.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
How?

Best case scenario for your argument is we replace some C+ players with some B- players.

Not sure where the 1000% improvement comes from.
If you rate our bottom guys as C+ performers it's no wonder you're so positive all the time

Back