List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s 2 or 3 according to the article

I’m sure we’re happy with that result, but is Matt?

I suppose we'll find out. 2-3 would be perfect, gives enough time for Pedlar to get up to speed, and we have Laird and Keays to move elsewhere for Schoenberg/Berry/whoever else.

That said, if its 2-3, it certainly seems like its just making sure he has a multi-year contract if FA doesn't work out.

So we’ve offered Crouch a multi year deal. Thoughts?

Re Crouch: Seems sensible provided it's not too long in term and not for too much money. At least it sends a message to other clubs that we are not forcing him out the door and that they will have to offer better to get him in - ideally we would then eventually lead to a FA compensation pick (or trade) that we would be happy with. Hopefully a win if he stays or a win if he leaves.

Contrary to broad opinion on this site, I also think that we should offer Tom Lynch a one year deal on reasonable money. He adds an extra dimension to the forward line that can bring other young forwards into play. He's an important part of the on-field learning exercise.

Daniel Talia is a harder one. Firstly and most importantly, we need to know he's physically capable of playing on. Secondly he is a loyal stalwart of the club and deserves the highest respect. However while he would likely still be our best lock down defender, I don't think that his presence is as critical in the rebuild. It would be nice if another contending club saw him as the "missing piece" and rewarded him well for a couple more years. In the worst case, I don't think that he should be delisted and would offer 1 year on moderate pay.

As for David Mackay his time must be up if we are serious about moving forward. He has been a list clogger for many years and is currently taking the place of young player(s) that we should be pumping games into. We have pushed far better and younger players out the door in the recent past.

That depends on the years.

2 - happy
3 - ambivalent
4+ - angry.
2 - angry
3- grumpy
4+ - we've finally learnt our lesson

Any deal for 2 or 3 years will be high coin and easily trumped by a Brad style long term, low $/year deal, which will net us a poor compo pick.

4+ years would be on lower coin, and can only be trumped by a long term high $ contract (unlikely) or a shorter, high $/y deal netting us a good compo pick.

If it was me, I'd be offering a 5 year, $600k deal, front ended. If it's one year too long, that's ok, he'll be on a low wage.

If he wants more $/year, go and get it on a shorter, Daniher style deal and we can have a band 1 compo pick thanks.

Surely he'll get offers of 4 years somewhere else?

I'm struggling to think of a club that would pay top dollar for a one dimensional inside midfielder like Matt Crouch these days

2 - angry
3- grumpy
4+ - we've finally learnt our lesson

Any deal for 2 or 3 years will be high coin and easily trumped by a Brad style long term, low $/year deal, which will net us a poor compo pick.

4+ years would be on lower coin, and can only be trumped by a long term high $ contract (unlikely) or a shorter, high $/y deal netting us a good compo pick.

If it was me, I'd be offering a 5 year, $600k deal, front ended. If it's one year too long, that's ok, he'll be on a low wage.

If he wants more $/year, go and get it on a shorter, Daniher style deal and we can have a band 1 compo pick thanks.
The problem with that is that we don't want him on our list in 4 years time. Don't make an offer you can't accept.

I don't want to be losing Matt for a pick in the mid 20's just because we're being a bit tight with the contract on offer. We have to pay the minimum salary cap to someone in the next few developing years so it may as well be a reliable and valuable player because we don't have too many others deserving of decent $ at this stage.

I'm also doubtful we're an attractive destination for players who we may want to throw those saved $ at.

A pick in the mid 20's does little for us, too late to draft a gun mid with any certainty.

Pick in the 20s >>>>>> Matt Crouch for 4+ years

I’m happy to keep Crouch for the foreseeable future (I wouldn’t give him 5, 4 is okay though) - only if we move Laird back and Sloane forward ASAP, though

Having Crouch and Keays as our two grunt midfielders going forward is a good scenario, hell even great if Matt gets back to 2017 form (entirely possible). It’s just that we’re currently way too stacked with grunt types as most of our best mids, as it currently stands

Some re-shuffling must be done in one way or another, come season’s end

Pick in the 20s >>>>>> Matt Crouch for 4+ years
Gotta write it correctly if youre gonna write it...

Pick in the 20’s >>>>>>> Matt crouch + $600 or more hit to the salary cap..

The pick in the 20’s we got for Brad got us Berry and the extra space in our cap saved from not paying Brads much bigger wage..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Crouch: Seems sensible provided it's not too long in term and not for too much money. At least it sends a message to other clubs that we are not forcing him out the door and that they will have to offer better to get him in - ideally we would then eventually lead to a FA compensation pick (or trade) that we would be happy with. Hopefully a win if he stays or a win if he leaves.
Makes sense to highlight we want to keep him

Contrary to broad opinion on this site, I also think that we should offer Tom Lynch a one year deal on reasonable money. He adds an extra dimension to the forward line that can bring other young forwards into play. He's an important part of the on-field learning exercise.
This is a no from me.

Certainly if he is valuable around the club then offer the SANFL captaincy + coaching gig - but we need to make some cuts and Tom is a cut we need to make this year or next and I prefer it to be this year

Daniel Talia is a harder one. Firstly and most importantly, we need to know he's physically capable of playing on. Secondly he is a loyal stalwart of the club and deserves the highest respect. However while he would likely still be our best lock down defender, I don't think that his presence is as critical in the rebuild. It would be nice if another contending club saw him as the "missing piece" and rewarded him well for a couple more years. In the worst case, I don't think that he should be delisted and would offer 1 year on moderate pay.
Because of his loyalty and respect I would be happy to offer 2

As for David Mackay his time must be up if we are serious about moving forward. He has been a list clogger for many years and is currently taking the place of young player(s) that we should be pumping games into. We have pushed far better and younger players out the door in the recent past.
Yep

I’m happy to keep Crouch for the foreseeable future (I wouldn’t give him 5, 4 is okay though) - only if we move Laird back and Sloane forward ASAP, though

Having Crouch and Keays as our two grunt midfielders going forward is a good scenario, hell even great if Matt gets back to 2017 form (entirely possible). It’s just that we’re currently way too stacked with grunt types as most of our best mids, as it currently stands

Some re-shuffling must be done in one way or another, come season’s end
If we keep crouch... we need to piss two of sloane, keays or laird off to different positions on the ground...

Or we will be f’ed for years.
We dont shuffle

I do agree we need to have some 'man conversations' but I worry we would prefer an easy out

What's Tom Mitchell on?

At a guess, probably around the $800k mark.

Given Crouch isn't as good, there won't be a club willing to give him a large enough contract to get anything other than a second round compensation pick

At what club would Crouch be their best midfielder and therefore command top dollar?

Mutineer, interested to hear how you would play it. You've disagreed with my long term contract offer and also that pick 20 we'd get if we offer a short term contract is better than Matt.

At a guess, probably around the $800k mark.

Given Crouch isn't as good, there won't be a club willing to give him a large enough contract to get anything other than a second round compensation pick

At what club would Crouch be their best midfielder and therefore command top dollar?
Only a very marginal difference when both fit and firing IMO and Mitchell's over his time has played in a better performing team.

Capture.PNG

Mutineer, interested to hear how you would play it. You've disagreed with my long term contract offer and also that pick 20 we'd get if we offer a short term contract is better than Matt.
If Matt is prepared to accept a 3 year deal on around 600 - $650K he should stay because contrary to what some believe he's the best mid of our more mature age mids, and yes that includes "skyscraper" Laird, obviously Sloane is the hard one, he appears past his best and should be tapped on the shoulder and told he's not a starting mid anymore and only plays midfield on a limited basis going forward. Along with Schoenberg Matt is still the best of our mids at spotting up a leading forward contrary to what some believe. Might also help if he's played to his strengths which is inside the contest rather than the quasi outside mid it appeared the brains trust were trying to turn him into.

Back