List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hopeful we'll get to see all of them next year. With Checkers and Cameron holding down the key posts, and Kelly (current thinking) next in line, the urgency is mitigated and they can start as 3rd tall options.

If we're adding a KPP type, I hope it's in the defence.
No draft hand and no $$, means our best chance is Ricardi nominating us on a reasonable contract
Offers potential as KPF or KPB

Let’s press pause for a second on this type of commentary re Cox. Mihocek’s received the same service since joining the club and despite being very undersized for a number 1 forward has kicked 25+ goals each year whereas Cox best year was, you guessed it, 25 goals.

Cox struggles in our forward mix because he’s too easily moved off the ball as others have pointed out and pound for pound has league worst hands. If Cox were able to hold his ground in the contest and hold his marks he’d be a 50 goal a year player because he gets to enough contests plus he gets a decent run from the umpires (I’d say he’s probably got a league best goal from free kick ratio).

He’ll take those traits with him if he leaves, but I can see him staying as cover for Grundy because we could be exposed if he went down once we trade Lynch. A one year deal on $200k should do it and if he can get better elsewhere so be it.

Roverjg I think you’d be surprised what the market rate will be on Weideman…

Yeah I'm well aware of his deficiencies. i even pointed them out.

Like I've said all along, in a normal year....he doesn't stay.
My comments were more around the Pies making a call on him before the new coach has a chance to have his say.

I'd certainly be super pissed if i walked in to coach the club and had specific ideas and plans around {insert any player name here}, only to find the club had moved him on before i arrived.....

We've only got a sample size of 1 when it comes to coaches & game plans!!

If he leaves because there is a better offer, i doubt we get anything for him (PSD due to no interest).....so anything coming back would be just the opposition team being kind!

My comments were more around the Pies making a call on him before the new coach has a chance to have his say.

I'd certainly be super pissed if i walked in to coach the club and had specific ideas and plans around {insert any player name here}, only to find the club had moved him on before i arrived.....

If he leaves because there is a better offer, i doubt we get anything for him (PSD due to no interest).....so anything coming back would be just the opposition team being kind!

No you didn’t highlight them others did on your behalf. If I were a new coach walking in to a bottom 4 club with a football department run by a guy with the experience of Graham Wright I’m hardly going to bat an eyelid if a calls been made on a 31yo Mason Cox.

What I don’t understand is why you’d be “super pissed” as an incoming coach if you doubt we’d get anything for him? He shot his shot and it was a damn good one in that about 4-5 times a year, but you can’t carry blokes at that age on that coin under those circumstances.

I'd hope we have a new coach in place well before the trade period which means he'll have some input into the list decisions.

We haven't got a coach moving forward and the media is discussing players like Lobb, Weideman etc.. The only enjoyable part of this frankly diabolical season has been the emergence of our next generation. Poulter, Bianco, Henry and the others.

Unless Clarkson is calling shots from the shadows, just focus on youth and generating additional picks. Not topping up with players struggling to get games elsewhere.

Wouldn't McInnes be better as the clearance player in the Dangerfield/Treloar mould who can break away from a contest?

At the moment our problem is winning the ball in the middle, Adams is not enough.

You ever seen him play? Despite his impressive 20m time it is not evident on field or typically powerful burst to date. Like your Danger treloar examples.

More Cripps Bont and pendles in movement style.

No you didn’t highlight them others did on your behalf. If I were a new coach walking in to a bottom 4 club with a football department run by a guy with the experience of Graham Wright I’m hardly going to bat an eyelid if a calls been made on a 31yo Mason Cox.

What I don’t understand is why you’d be “super pissed” as an incoming coach if you doubt we’d get anything for him? He shot his shot and it was a damn good one in that about 4-5 times a year, but you can’t carry blokes at that age on that coin under those circumstances.

Now.... to balance that, he drops too many easy ones and gets pushed off the ball too often. So he absolutely has his flaws and there is a reason he is out of the team.

I've bolded the bit for you where i made the comment......i had thought that was actually enough without going into detail about his sometimes poor body positioning, poor timing of when to lead, hard hands and the propensity to misjudge the ball in flight and take too long to react....but obviously it wasn't!

The focus of my post was far more around the pies making list management decisions without the next head coach having input.
the second part was players do sometimes flourish under a different game plan / voice.....and that is exactly what should (i'd like to say will) happen at pies next year.

This year is like no other we have had since MM took over....in that our next coach isn't at the club yet.
So list management calls shouldn't be made until that is settled.

I never made the call to carry Cox on the same coin.
In fact, somewhere above i made the comment he'll never get that again.....if he leaves for money, then that's on him and nothing to do with us.
But again, i'll re-iterate, that cutting him before having a conversation with the incoming coach is negligence.

Why is defensive kpp more necessary? Kelly doesn't seem to be pigeon holed at either end yet. I doubt Begg has either. Are the Irish boys less likely than McMahon?

I just think it's a greater need.

I think Kelly could play at either end but the club said they'd be playing him forward for the remainder of the season so it's purely about current thinking.

I'd rate all Cat B rookies less likely than kids who have played footy through the traditional pathways. Happy to be shown otherwise.

Kelly just said on Lynch's podcast he now sees himself as a forward. He clearly doesn't mind defence, but now believes he is a forward.

That means Moore stays as a Defender then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLLINGWOOD
Collingwood

Out of contract (14):
Isaac Chugg, Mason Cox, Jack Ginnivan, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne (UFA), John Noble, Scott Pendlebury (UFA), Jay Rantall, Trey Ruscoe, Brayden Sier, Anton Tohill, Josh Thomas (UFA), Tom Wilson

Noble is close to sealing a two-year deal and Pendlebury is likely to accept a one-year extension, but there is plenty of uncertainty among the rest. Cox switched agents to Liam Pickering as he mulls his future, while Lynch is emerging as a potential part of this year’s ruck carousel. Sier has spent recent weeks in the VFL, Mayne wants to play on but faces a nervous wait, and discussions are underway for Thomas. Basketball convert Wilson is set to get another chance, and rookies Ginnivan and Chugg have shown enough to persevere with.

Yep. Offer wasn't taken up by the club but essentially less for 2021 and 2022. Still doesn't answer the question of why wouldn't he stay for less?
He might. Just depends on whether the club thinks if there is any value in keeping him on the list or clearing his contract.

200.gif
This is just ‘gold’ I can’t stop laughing 😂😂😂

I've bolded the bit for you where i made the comment......i had thought that was actually enough without going into detail about his sometimes poor body positioning, poor timing of when to lead, hard hands and the propensity to misjudge the ball in flight and take too long to react....but obviously it wasn't!

The focus of my post was far more around the pies making list management decisions without the next head coach having input.
the second part was players do sometimes flourish under a different game plan / voice.....and that is exactly what should (i'd like to say will) happen at pies next year.

This year is like no other we have had since MM took over....in that our next coach isn't at the club yet.
So list management calls shouldn't be made until that is settled.

I never made the call to carry Cox on the same coin.
In fact, somewhere above i made the comment he'll never get that again.....if he leaves for money, then that's on him and nothing to do with us.
But again, i'll re-iterate, that cutting him before having a conversation with the incoming coach is negligence.
It would be highly surprising we don't have a new coach prior to trading period. I would expect a coach will ne announced either late into the finals period, or within a week or 2 post if there is someone we are very interested in who in heavily involved with a club contending for the premiership.

And I'm sure that new coach will be heavily guided by G Wright when it comes to the list, as I doubt he would have an indepth knowledge of of the players.
As for a 31 year old who has been playing for 6 seasons and hasn't impacted a game in the past 2 seasons? I'm sure he wouldn't be seen as a major requirement. Not sure how Cox can turn it around under a new coach given his many limitations.

Other players may get a 1 year reprieve. Sier for example fits into the right age bracket, so a coach may want to see him up close for 1 year to work out if he could get more out of him.

COLLINGWOOD
Collingwood

Out of contract (14):
Isaac Chugg, Mason Cox, Jack Ginnivan, Max Lynch, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne (UFA), John Noble, Scott Pendlebury (UFA), Jay Rantall, Trey Ruscoe, Brayden Sier, Anton Tohill, Josh Thomas (UFA), Tom Wilson

Noble is close to sealing a two-year deal and Pendlebury is likely to accept a one-year extension, but there is plenty of uncertainty among the rest. Cox switched agents to Liam Pickering as he mulls his future, while Lynch is emerging as a potential part of this year’s ruck carousel. Sier has spent recent weeks in the VFL, Mayne wants to play on but faces a nervous wait, and discussions are underway for Thomas. Basketball convert Wilson is set to get another chance, and rookies Ginnivan and Chugg have shown enough to persevere with.

If I were in charge, I would move on Cox, Madgen, Mayne for certain.
JT probably too.

There's no need to carry players who shouldnt be here any further

Paid less this year with an extension of another year.
I thought Cox triggered an extension for the 2021 season on his contract which ends this year. However, in order to get an extension for the 2022 season he has said he would sign for less for 2022.

Is that incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back