When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

It’s less a soft draw, and more playing teams at the wrong times v playing teams when they are playing poorly.

We’d have loved to play Richmond a month ago, or had our first match against Collingwood a few more rounds into the season when they fell off a cliff.

Fremantle lose to us in Perth every year as well, so it’s not as though playing in Melbourne made a massive difference. We just have the wood over them in general despite what the ladder suggests. They’ve also had a soft draw (so far), having played the Hawks twice.

Same as Essendon really. They’re higher on the ladder currently, but we beat them pretty comfortably this year and by bees dick last year. Don’t think you can read too much into a couple of extra wins - the mid-section of the ladder is volatile at the moment.
And you played us earlier in the year when we started 2-6 before we had a decent ruck set up and before our defence settled.

We beat West Coast in Perth and you lost the following week to West Coast's C side.
You beat Adelaide by about 10 points and we beat them by 10+ goals only two weeks after that at the same venue.

The difference between the two is that we've simply been the better side, and that's with all the interstate games we've been playing compared to your Melbourne games.

And you played us earlier in the year when we started 2-6 before we had a decent ruck set up and before our defence settled.

We beat West Coast in Perth and you lost the following week to West Coast's C side.
You beat Adelaide by about 10 points and we beat them by 10+ goals only two weeks after that at the same venue.

The difference between the two is that we've simply been the better side, and that's with all the interstate games we've been playing compared to your Melbourne games.

We also beat Essendon while we were playing rubbish football. No way we’d let them get 5 goals up with our current defensive set up. The fact we cruised through for a win speaks volumes.

Your examples with West Coast and Adelaide only illustrate my point. We copped a half-strength West Coast at our lowest ebb, and that was arguably the catalyst for the immediate review.

Adelaide’s effort without Walker against Essendon was appalling (plenty thought they were tanking, they were that bad), while they were in pretty good knick (Nicks?) against us.

Interesting chest puff though. Reminds me of Freo fans circa this time last week.

We also beat Essendon while we were playing rubbish football. No way we’d let them get 5 goals up with our current defensive set up. The fact we cruised through for a win speaks volumes.

Your examples with West Coast and Adelaide only illustrate my point. We copped a half-strength West Coast at our lowest ebb, and that was arguably the catalyst for the immediate review.

Adelaide’s effort without Walker against Essendon was appalling (plenty thought they were tanking, they were that bad), while they were in pretty good knick (Nicks?) against us.

Interesting chest puff though. Reminds me of Freo fans circa this time last week.
You're just making up excuses and shifting goal posts. Results speak for themselves.

You're just making up excuses and shifting goal posts. Results speak for themselves.

Ummmm…

So sometimes context is important, except when you don’t want it to be.

Got it.

The reason Carlton was playing a half strength WC was because of the injuries that occurred in game the week before against the Bombers. WC were 5 goals up until those injuries kicked in.

Ummmm…

So sometimes context is important, except when you don’t want it to be.

Got it.
No I didn't use that as an excuse because Carlton were better than us when it mattered. Plain and simple.
I said that to point out the hypocrisy of you using the excuse of "you played teams at the right time" when Carlton played us while we were a bottom 4 side.

The reason Carlton was playing a half strength WC was because of the injuries that occurred in game the week before against the Bombers. WC were 5 goals up until those injuries kicked in.
Only Allen and Kelly were injured during the game. Josh Kennedy and the rest played out the game.

No I didn't use that as an excuse because Carlton were better than us when it mattered. Plain and simple.
I said that to point out the hypocrisy of you using the excuse of "you played teams at the right time" when Carlton played us while we were a bottom 4 side.

Essendon were 3 and 3 when they played Carlton - I don’t think they were bottom 4 at that stage.

Edit - 2 and 4, forgot they’d actually lost to Hawthorn Round 1, but they’d beaten St Kilda and Collingwood.

Last edited:
Only Allen and Kelly were injured during the game. Josh Kennedy and the rest played out the game.
2 key in game major injuries. Kelly had 11 1st quarter possessions and that was it for the game.

Kennedy didn't look right and probably wouldn't have played out the game if he could have been subbed off. Ah Chee and Brander were also unable to play the next week. Clearly injuries impacted their ability to compete.

Chance of Essendon winning that game without the injuries is very low. WC already struggle with rotations with Nic Nat only normally able to play 60% game time. Yeo was also in his first game back for the season and had his lowest possession game and was only able to play 64% game time his lowest for the year on a team with 1 on the bench after half time

It is all just part of the luck in football. Things went the Bombers way on the day.

2 key in game major injuries. Kelly had 11 1st quarter possessions and that was it for the game.

Kennedy didn't look right and probably wouldn't have played out the game if he could have been subbed off. Ah Chee and Brander were also unable to play the next week. Clearly injuries impacted their ability to compete.

Chance of Essendon winning that game without the injuries is very low. WC already struggle with rotations with Nic Nat only normally able to play 60% game time. Yeo was also in his first game back for the season and had his lowest possession game and was only able to play 64% game time his lowest for the year on a team with 1 on the bench after half time

It is all just part of the luck in football. Things went the Bombers way on the day.
You do realise we were dominating in the first quarter when Kelly was playing right? They kicked 3 goals and 0 behinds. We kicked 2 goals and 4 behinds.
Essendon were 3 and 3 when they played Carlton - I don’t think they were bottom 4 at that stage.

Edit - 2 and 4, forgot they’d actually lost to Hawthorn Round 1, but they’d beaten St Kilda and Collingwood.
We still started the year 2-6 though, but I'm not using that as an excuse for losing to Carlton. We lost to a wooden spoon Carlton as finals aspirants a couple of years ago so it's not a shock result.

Saying Essendon are above Carlton because of luck when we're going to play 11 interstate games (12 away games if you include Geelong at GMHBA) compared to Carlton's 5 is pretty ridiculous. We won't have more than two Melbourne games in a row all year and host only Adelaide and Fremantle as games with genuine home ground advantage. Carlton have it much easier than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying Essendon are above Carlton because of luck when we're going to play 11 interstate games (12 away games if you include Geelong at GMHBA) compared to Carlton's 5 is pretty ridiculous. We won't have more than two Melbourne games in a row all year and host only Adelaide and Fremantle as games with genuine home ground advantage. Carlton have it much easier than us.

Sure, but it it's all swings and roundabouts. You can't do anything about your draw, but you can influence the way you play, and IMO Carlton have underperformed by a long way this year.

Also telling both teams have had 1 win against a team in the 8. The week prior we'd had 2 wins against a top 8 team (Freo and Freo).

You do realise we were dominating in the first quarter when Kelly was playing right? They kicked 3 goals and 0 behinds. We kicked 2 goals and 4 behinds.
Imagine how they would have gone in rest of the game if he had have played? Ultimately they ran out of legs which is amplified when you lose a key mid.

Uh huh. I don't care about Carlton, I was just correcting your error.

Carry on with your s**t fight with other Essendon posters though. Both sides are making super interesting and relevant points.

Uh huh. I don't care about Carlton, I was just correcting your error.

Carry on with your sh*t fight with other Essendon posters though. Both sides are making super interesting and relevant points.

Why are you browsing through a thread dedicated to Carlton if you don't care about Carlton?

Weird.

Why are you browsing through a thread dedicated to Carlton if you don't care about Carlton?

Weird.
I get a bat signal alarm everytime someone posts the wrong w/l ratio for Essendon.

Rumor is Kemp is in this week. This kid can really play. Will play HB but will be a mid.

Amazing as he has only had 5-6 games back after more than 2 years out.

Key part of us arriving
We've heard that all before with Dow, SPS, LOB, Bootsma, Cunningham, Vojo and many more top 30 picks

Carlton are sinking with only top end talent keeping them afloat, it's hard for them to soar like eagles when surrounded by turkeys.

Look forward to 2022 preseason with all the positive news of all these "guns" tearing up the training track.

Rumor is Kemp is in this week. This kid can really play. Will play HB but will be a mid.

Amazing as he has only had 5-6 games back after more than 2 years out.

Key part of us arriving

Would be great to see. Had enough VFL matches, and not going to benefit much from the remaining scratchies.

Looked a class above at times. Reminded me of Andrew Walker at reserves level, both stylistically and in terms of being a class above. Moves really well around the ground, and not afraid to throw his weight around.

We've heard that all before with Dow, SPS, LOB, Bootsma, Cunningham, Vojo and many more top 30 picks

Carlton are sinking with only top end talent keeping them afloat, it's hard for them to soar like eagles when surrounded by turkeys.

Look forward to 2022 preseason with all the positive news of all these "guns" tearing up the training track.

Not from me

Luckily we don’t butcher our number one picks.

Imagine watching Hugh McCluggage dominate all year and then taking a midget back pocket with the first selection in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back