QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard it was a cracking game down at the Pumas Indigenous Round today. With the Pumas getting up by 7 in the dying minutes. Would have been a great game to watch.
Yes was a great game of footy to watch. Two very good teams with very different styles of play, in the end Springwood’s old heads got them over the line after being nearly 30 points down at one stage. Very fitting in the end that on the day it was Rhan Hooper who kicked the winning goal. Was a massive crowd down at Lowe Oval as well, one of the biggest that’s been there for quite a while.

Yes was a great game of footy to watch. Two very good teams with very different styles of play, in the end Springwood’s old heads got them over the line after being nearly 30 points down at one stage. Very fitting in the end that on the day it was Rhan Hooper who kicked the winning goal. Was a massive crowd down at Lowe Oval as well, one of the biggest that’s been there for quite a while.
It was a sensational day and a cracking game off Footy. Springwood had a pretty good side in with Bain, Thompson, and Brown back in and Proud the only notable absentee due to injury. Beenleigh really controlled the first half with ease and their transition from Defence through the corridor looked like a training drill at some stages with our Forward pressure really lacking. It wasnt looking great when we were 28 points down however some stern words from Coach Reyne fired the side into action with a solid second half of footy that had Beenleigh the ones now on the back foot. With the ball in Rhan Hoopers hands on the point post was fitting on such a proud day for him, family and the Club. He nailed it and as he come off after he put us in front, the crowd went wild and I saud no pressure mate and he let out a big sigh of relief. I doubt many other players would have made it look so easy to thread it through. Great win and credit to Beenleigh they are a very well drilled side that have a solid game plan and plenty of pace. Great win for Pumas and plenty of improvement in the side to come. If any Club does the Indigenous round better than the Pumas I would love to know who congrats to all involved seriously loved the day

Any report from the SQ VS NQ game? Saw NQ got over the line in the end, just seeing who played well? Quality of the game etc

I watched it and NQ just got up in the end. Rippa game and NQ have some extremely good players from Vic and just a bit cleaner in the end. Could have gone either way on the day not a lot in it. Pagey was terrific all day and Luca Mason from Caloundra were my best two but plenty of others were solid including some of the Mayne boys. Really good standard of footy and hotly contested around the stoppages.

Great win by the Springwood boys, handy additions into the side in Proud, Thompson, Will, Hunt, and O;Sughure, and still missing 3 from what the Coaching staff would describe as their best 22. Bain 6 goals and Fris, 2 goals head a fairly potent forward line with Howse the evergreen getting better with age. It was a cracking game of footy with pressure by both sides the highlight. Caloundra had chances in the last minutes and and could not capilitise however the Pumas back six refused to concede and when we did get in our forward line with minutes to go we goaled and hit the front. At one stage it looked headed for a draw with 69 each though much to the delight of the Pumas faithful we got over the line. The game was a credit to the comp and an extremely high standard. Caloundra are a good side and its nice to be able to account for both Mayne and Caloundra in recent weeks. Danger game on Saturday against Beenleigh at Dauth Park and hopeful of keeping the momentum going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big result up at Caloundra yesterday, Uni really shaking things up in this comp and if they manage to sneak past Coorparoo in that 4th spot they’ll be really dangerous come finals time. Believe they have now beaten the 3 of the top 4 now this year at some point? Loss would hurt Caloundra’s top 2 chances now as well.

Beenleigh going to really struggle to get to a top 4 spot now as well after yesterday’s defeat. Still a very good side though and could very well have a big day in deciding who makes the top 4

Big result up at Caloundra yesterday, Uni really shaking things up in this comp and if they manage to sneak past Coorparoo in that 4th spot they’ll be really dangerous come finals time. Believe they have now beaten the 3 of the top 4 now this year at some point? Loss would hurt Caloundra’s top 2 chances now as well.

Beenleigh going to really struggle to get to a top 4 spot now as well after yesterday’s defeat. Still a very good side though and could very well have a big day in deciding who makes the top 4
Really disappointing for Caloundra I imagine with a couple of premiership reunions being celebrated as well. Uni have picked up Ashby who is a very decent player from all reports and certainly looks like they can hold their own vs the top 4 sides.

I see that Sam Virgo coached Coorparoo to a big victory on the weekend.

Could this be a crystal ball moment in regards to next season.

Really disappointing for Caloundra I imagine with a couple of premiership reunions being celebrated as well. Uni have picked up Ashby who is a very decent player from all reports and certainly looks like they can hold their own vs the top 4 sides.
We have Uni on the weekend and hopefully finally Springwood can field their strongest 22 for the first time this year. Uni are a dangerous outfit and with the inclusion of the other Ashby brother and THOMPSON who has not played for a while we will need to be at our best. Springwood have games against Mayne and Coorparoo coming up fortunately at home and this game on Saturday is massive for the Club against a side that always plays well against us. We have been in solid form of late however quite aware of what is at stake.

what are the reasons for doing it?

Screams of tokenism to me. Womens coaching month is to celebrate female coaches, not give token opportunities to female coaches.

Plenty of female coaches out there they could have focused on, instead a couple of clubs put their committed coaches in the shade for a week for a social media opportunity to get woke points.

I have no doubt Sam Virgo can coach and coach well, so someone should give her a permanent senior gig in Div 2 or Div 1 and go from there.

Or a QAFL club could get her helping Colts or Ressies as a starting point.

what are the reasons for doing it?

Screams of tokenism to me. Womens coaching month is to celebrate female coaches, not give token opportunities to female coaches.

Plenty of female coaches out there they could have focused on, instead a couple of clubs put their committed coaches in the shade for a week for a social media opportunity to get woke points.

I have no doubt Sam Virgo can coach and coach well, so someone should give her a permanent senior gig in Div 2 or Div 1 and go from there.

Or a QAFL club could get her helping Colts or Ressies as a starting point.
Is that what happened Miller?

Yeah disagree Miller - QAFLW season has finished, she is coaching the State U17 boys team, provides her with a (limited) experience of coaching men and if nothing else helps a few more blokes recognise that a woman who knows her footy is no different to a bloke who knows his footy. Reckon its a great initiative. Good cry that many "initiatives" are just tokenism but that is more the case when nothing changes post the event.
Could argue indigenous round is just pure tokenism as well or Pride round but I'm sure these are significant events that help move locked on opinions. Or so history says anyway.
I say well done to Coorparoo footy club and particularly Barry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back