List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be highly surprising we don't have a new coach prior to trading period. I would expect a coach will ne announced either late into the finals period, or within a week or 2 post if there is someone we are very interested in who in heavily involved with a club contending for the premiership.

And I'm sure that new coach will be heavily guided by G Wright when it comes to the list, as I doubt he would have an indepth knowledge of of the players.
As for a 31 year old who has been playing for 6 seasons and hasn't impacted a game in the past 2 seasons? I'm sure he wouldn't be seen as a major requirement. Not sure how Cox can turn it around under a new coach given his many limitations.

Other players may get a 1 year reprieve. Sier for example fits into the right age bracket, so a coach may want to see him up close for 1 year to work out if he could get more out of him.

Yeah it will be an interesting off season that's for sure!

I agree that whomever comes in will have to be guided by the current football department.
Would love to be a fly on the wall in those conversations!

If I were in charge, I would move on Cox, Madgen, Mayne for certain.
JT probably too.

There's no need to carry players who shouldnt be here any further
Agree, though I do admit, JT has been contributing as of late. But Cox won't be here. Madgen and Mayne shouldn't be, but we do need mature bodies with the kids unfortunately.

I thought Cox triggered an extension for the 2021 season on his contract which ends this year. However, in order to get an extension for the 2022 season he has said he would sign for less for 2022.

Is that incorrect?
Think that was the idea, but that deal never went down. It was just something discussed at the time. But alas, he is out of contract because there was no deal signed off for 2022.

I thought Cox triggered an extension for the 2021 season on his contract which ends this year. However, in order to get an extension for the 2022 season he has said he would sign for less for 2022.

Is that incorrect?
He triggered for a 2021 extension at supposedly 600k. Was wanting an extra year to spread 800k -900 over two years — 2021/2022

Agree, though I do admit, JT has been contributing as of late. But Cox won't be here. Madgen and Mayne shouldn't be, but we do need mature bodies with the kids unfortunately.

Agree on Cox and Mayne. I’d definitely move them on.

The next 5 weeks will tell us more on Madgen and Thomas I reckon but dependent on others. If Ginnivan comes in and has an impact then Thomas might be behind him, Elliott and McCreery going into next year. That spells trouble for him.

Same with Madgen. If Tohill impresses and Howe comes back in the last few rounds and looks good then Madge could fall down the pecking order. If Tohill fails then he’s likely off the list and Madgen gets another shot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JT probably too.

Lack of Sidebottom on that list you quoted is worrying…

JT probably too.

If Lynch goes elsewhere as expected I’d keep Cox as a back up ruck and for ruck forward depth... but only if he more than halved his salary

Cox could potentially play as a back up ruck for a few more years.

If we had our time again surely we would've shipped off Sidebottom and kept Treloar. Nothing against Steele, love him to bits. But based on age, ability and influence, Sidebum shouldve gone.
Sideys contract wasn’t anywhere near as restrictive as Treloars. I doubt there was a choice between the two.

Agree on Cox and Mayne. I’d definitely move them on.

The next 5 weeks will tell us more on Madgen and Thomas I reckon but dependent on others. If Ginnivan comes in and has an impact then Thomas might be behind him, Elliott and McCreery going into next year. That spells trouble for him.

Same with Madgen. If Tohill impresses and Howe comes back in the last few rounds and looks good then Madge could fall down the pecking order. If Tohill fails then he’s likely off the list and Madgen gets another shot.

Why all the hate for Magden?, He would be in our top dozen in the B&F. He is big and strong, runs quick and is forever trying to create scoring chains from defence, takes the game on at every opportunity. If I were a betting man, I would put a Gorilla on him to still be there next year and beyond. He's only 28 and hasn't played a lot of footy so his body seems very sound

I still feel like it was a choice between Treloar and DeGoey and we thought Jordy was going to be more damaging going forward.

There’s also longevity between them. AT was contracted for 5 years but I’m his injury history may have seen him sitting on the sidelines for 2-3 years of that.

Why all the hate for Magden?, He would be in our top dozen in the B&F. He is big and strong, runs quick and is forever trying to create scoring chains from defence, takes the game on at every opportunity. If I were a betting man, I would put a Gorilla on him to still be there next year and beyond. He's only 28 and hasn't played a lot of footy so his body seems very sound

There’s no hate for him. He’s on the fringe and 28 so I think there’s merit to his position being on the line. He’s out of contract with a new coach coming in who will have ideas.

I’d have no doubt on his position if Bucks stayed on.

All that said I’d be ok with him staying on the list but if we’re to improve we need players to go past him as he is limited. The same rules apply to Mayne and Thomas and I had WHE in that group until he improved considerably in the last month or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I saw this too. Maybe itching to make an AFL comeback next year.
No just no!!

I will not have a god botherer.

Especially the ones that used to knock on my door in the 90's on a Sunday morning while I was trying to enjoy my hangover!!!

giphy.gif

If we had our time again surely we would've shipped off Sidebottom and kept Treloar. Nothing against Steele, love him to bits. But based on age, ability and influence, Sidebum shouldve gone.

That was never feasible.

Trelaors contract was backloaded and therefore bigger and longer than Sidebottoms. We would not have got either the cap relief nor the trade value (even at Treloars bargain basement trade price and taking into about the salary subsidy).

One of the reasons we opted to trade Treloar compared to others was his injury risk. And surprise surprise.....hes injured long term again.

Last edited:
I've bolded the bit for you where i made the comment......i had thought that was actually enough without going into detail about his sometimes poor body positioning, poor timing of when to lead, hard hands and the propensity to misjudge the ball in flight and take too long to react....but obviously it wasn't!

The focus of my post was far more around the pies making list management decisions without the next head coach having input.
the second part was players do sometimes flourish under a different game plan / voice.....and that is exactly what should (i'd like to say will) happen at pies next year.

This year is like no other we have had since MM took over....in that our next coach isn't at the club yet.
So list management calls shouldn't be made until that is settled.

I never made the call to carry Cox on the same coin.
In fact, somewhere above i made the comment he'll never get that again.....if he leaves for money, then that's on him and nothing to do with us.
But again, i'll re-iterate, that cutting him before having a conversation with the incoming coach is negligence.
The contradictory nature of your posts on Cox make little sense given the bolded above and your post declaring you’d be super pissed as an incoming coach were he off the list before you came in so maybe it’s best to agree to disagree.

That move was all about dumping salaries everything else was secondary so I can’t agree. At the time of the deal we had Treloar for 5 more years on anywhere from $700-900k and Sidebottom for 2 more on somewhere around $800k.

IMO, Treloar wasn’t a big enough upgrade to justify choosing to keep him primarily due to his injury profile. He’s now missed at least 9 weeks of a season over 3 of the past 4 years (Elliott is more durable over that period) and given how he plays I don’t think his durability is likely to improve with age.

Whilst I haven’t given up on Steele the next month will be interesting for him because if he struggles it opens the door to smoothing out his salary a little by signing him until 2023.

The contradictory nature of your posts on Cox make little sense given the bolded above and your post declaring you’d be super pissed as an incoming coach were he off the list before you came in so maybe it’s best to agree to disagree.

Its not really a contradiction.
I am just not as sure as you that his flaws are career ending under a new coach.....but that's the beauty of opinions!

So lets just agree to disagree and move on!!

i think Sidebottoms issues are more that he is playing forward rather than any form issues. Of course he is not as good as he was but i still think he has got plenty of value to us. Its no coincidence that Sidebottom an De Goey have swapped roles and basically swapped form as well. We need to sort out our forward line coaching wise more than replace these players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back