Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 4 - Ivermectin doesn't work either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 5:

Here are my predictions (in refence to the UK).

1) On or before 14 August, the UK will have a daily mortality rate of around 200 (up from the 96 from today).

The 96 isn't representative. The numbers jump around. for example the day before it was 19. The 7 day moving average is 49 and the trend is very linear.

2) Unless further restrictions are imposed, on or before the 14 September, the UK will have a daily mortality rate of around 500, likely plateauing at this point until:

I think 200 is more likely. Some of whom would have died anyway. To put that into perspective, on average about 1,650 people die in the UK every day.

3) A new strain will emerge from the UK on or around the end of October, one that is resistant to the vaccine.

New strains of viruses happen all the time. You can't predict when a significant strain will develop. From historic examples such as the H1N1 influenza viruses that caused both the 1918 Spanish flu and 2009 swine flu pandemics, there's every chance new strains will be more transmissible but less virulent.

Follow the science...unless it conflicts with your ideology, then you don't have to.

You'll be fine.

Yeah it's not so much when it conflicts with my ideology. I'm down with that. We can't agree on everything.

I have a bit of a problem when it seems to be manipulated such that it supports lock step another political ideology, and then refuses to question itself, allow questions to be asked of it, and actively hides data that might disprove their "settled" conclusions.

Then I begin to wonder whether "following the science" is such a good idea.

Yeah it's not so much when it conflicts with my ideology. I'm down with that. We can't agree on everything.

I have a bit of a problem when it seems to be manipulated such that it supports lock step another political ideology, and then refuses to question itself, allow questions to be asked of it, and actively hides data that might disprove their "settled" conclusions.

Then I begin to wonder whether "following the science" is such a good idea.

Politics is the main reason this whole saga has gone to s**t so badly.

I'm literally using the best possible numbers for your argument I can. I'm ignoring the fact that the UK has far higher rates of vaccination and exposure immunity than us, yet still using the current (as at today) rates of infection and death (at 0.2 percent), and assuming no increase on those figures (which we will see in the UK over the coming weeks).

No, I am not. I'm projecting daily infections in Australia to rapidly climb (should we just let the virus loose in the country) and then peak at around 15,000 (the exact same rate of infection as it is in the UK today) and daily deaths to never climb above 0.2 percent of that figure at 30 deaths per day (the exact same rate as it is in the UK today).

A stable rate of infections of 15,000 per day, and a stable mortality rate of just 0.2 percent (so on par with the current UK numbers).

Those infection rates (and fatality rates) are climbing, but I'm even ignoring that, and also ignoring our lower vaccination rate to that of the UK, and based on those numbers I wind up at 5 million infected over the course of 1 year, and 10,000 dead.

Those numbers could not be more favorable to you if I tried, and even then we're miles above your (now revised) figure of 2,000 deaths per annum by a factor of 5.

Hang on. Argue in good faith please. My figure is not revised. It was always a state figure based loosely around what we accept with things like the road toll.

500 was declared as the figure for each of Victoria and NSW. That becomes about 2,000 nationally, which was what you changed the measurement to.

Now there's a far harder line I could take, because that figure of 500 (road toll) is an annual figure, every year decreasing slightly, and disproportionately affecting our young.

Covid (to the extent that it will be a killer virus) is temporary. It disproportionately affects the elderly. People who will likely die off within the next year or so anyway. Given the costs associated with lockdowns, social AND economic, a multiple factor of 5 is probably not an unreasonable position to take in those circumstances.

If I were a purist, that's the position I'd take. 180,000 die each year. An uplift to 190,000 for one to two years, predominantly elderly, so what in the scheme of things.

I'm not a purist. I think human life is to be valued. But I think with the increasing levels of people who are vaccinated, particularly amongst the vulnerable, targeted restrictions, mask wearing in supermarkets etc and on public transport, noting that we don't live in the same congested conditions as the UK, we can keep infections and consequent fatalities down to a manageable (acceptable even though I hate the word in this context) level without locking down society and ruing businesses and children's lives.

Queensland prMeier going to the opening ceremony.

this is a f**** holiday for her.

what a disgrace.

I've been to an Opening Ceremony. Unforgettable.

Queensland prMeier going to the opening ceremony.

this is a f**** holiday for her.

what a disgrace.

I think she's there and she has to go. Not attending would simply be grandstanding for optics. We know she's wining and dining. She's not locked in a 3* hotel room isolating. And I don't expect her to be.

And I think she probably had to go to Tokyo despite the fact that Brisbane getting the Olympics was a foregone conclusion.

This sort of criticism (like Morrison daring to be on a family holiday when bushfires broke out) is just political point scoring. Outrageous when Team Red does it, perfectly rational if it's Team Blue.

What was unacceptable, and remains so, was her hard line when it comes to treating Australians living in Northern NSW in Qld hospitals and refusing to allow mothers to be with their newborn babies and vaccinated family members to be with their dying parents. Simply cruel.

I think she's there and she has to go. Not attending would simply be grandstanding for optics. We know she's wining and dining. She's not locked in a 3* hotel room isolating. And I don't expect her to be.

And I think she probably had to go to Tokyo despite the fact that Brisbane getting the Olympics was a foregone conclusion.

This sort of criticism (like Morrison daring to be on a family holiday when bushfires broke out) is just political point scoring. Outrageous when Team Red does it, perfectly rational if it's Team Blue.

What was unacceptable, and remains so, was her hard line when it comes to treating Australians living in Northern NSW in Qld hospitals and refusing to allow mothers to be with their newborn babies and vaccinated family members to be with their dying parents. Simply cruel.
What rubbish. For starters. Queensland didn’t have to get the olympics. not that this would impact it in any way. They aren’t going to vote against the bid because a leader is making her pitch via teams during a pandemic. No one had a problem with Morrison doing that.

when a leader prevents family from attending dying relatives cos they are on the wrong side of a state border let alone international border she can not justify an olympics trip as being ok.

When a leader advocates for cutting internal arrival caps to the bare minimum to leave thousands of Australians stranded she can not then take one of those places for an olympics bid.

seeing dying relatvies is more important then seeing the opening ceremony.

the health and mental well being of thousands of Australians have been destroyed by this leaders demand to close borders.

at the very least she must lead with her actions and suffer the same fate as everyone else.

Instead she choose to be the country’s greatest ever hypocrite. Going to city In a state of emergency. Taking a place from a stranded australian.

it’s a f*** disgrace and the fact you are ok with it makes you complicit.

What rubbish. For starters. Queensland didn’t have to get the olympics. not that this would impact it in any way. They aren’t going to vote against the bid because a leader is making her pitch via teams during a pandemic. No one had a problem with Morrison doing that.

when a leader prevents family from attending dying relatives cos they are on the wrong side of a state border let alone international border she can not justify an olympics trip as being ok.

When a leader advocates for cutting internal arrival caps to the bare minimum to leave thousands of Australians stranded she can not then take one of those places for an olympics bid.

the health and mental well being of thousands of Australians have been destroyed by this leaders demand to close borders.

at the very least she must lead with her actions and suffer the same fate as everyone else.

Instead she choose to be the country’s greatest ever hypocrite. Going to city In a state of emergency. Taking a place from a stranded australian.

Lol i'm ok with it too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how an inconsequential, generally conservative Victorian posting opinions on a footy forum can be complicit in any decision made by a Labor Queensland Premier but ok.

The 96 isn't representative. The numbers jump around. for example the day before it was 19. The 7 day moving average is 49 and the trend is very linear.

I think 200 is more likely. Some of whom would have died anyway. To put that into perspective, on average about 1,650 people die in the UK every day.

New strains of viruses happen all the time. You can't predict when a significant strain will develop. From historic examples such as the H1N1 influenza viruses that caused both the 1918 Spanish flu and 2009 swine flu pandemics, there's every chance new strains will be more transmissible but less virulent.

Made my predictions. Let's see how I go.

Ehh you are missing the point

She flat out lied about going. She said she wasnt, she is

Stop accepting lies guys. This isnt a "we got the wrong data" lie. This is just a flat out intentional lie to protect her from scrutiny. Weak

How is she taking anyones seat? It's outside the cap surely?
there is no such thing as outside the cap.

there is thé stated cap and then there is the real cap. She is taking a spot in the real cap. a spot that could of gone to someone else Without increasing the risk to the country from outside infections.

the cap only exists to mitigate against overseas arrivals bringing COVID here. every person who comes in from a COVID region brings that risk and they are part of the cap that we as a country are willing to risk.

the cap has nothing to do with flight spots or hotel spots (note she is staying in a hotel). It’s a cap on our societies risk of bringing in potentially infected people.

Anyone who comes into the country is part of the cap. Anyone.

Last edited:

Stop accepting lies guys. This isnt a "we got the wrong data" lie. This is just a flat out intentional lie to protect her from scrutiny. Weak
No doubt the whole press conference was a set up to give her an out to go.

Coates isn’t an elected leader who gets to tell Australians what they should do during a pandemic.

and there is zero reasons why she has to be there. She won’t be a leader in 10 years time when they are actually organising the opening ceremony for Brisbane. And even if she was there is Paris and Los Angeles to go to.

she needs to show leadership and at the very least live by the same restrictions she imposes on everyone else.

she can’t even do that.

Honestly, in the scheme of things, whether she attends a function or not is inconsequential. Her draconian application of border restrictions is the disgrace. And the hypocrisy lies with those who look past that but were critical of Howard and Abbott.

Complicit here then. She had to go. They have been working on the bid since 2014 when covid was not dreamed of. She's seeing it through. It's a good thing.

What is not a good thing is the lack of compassion shown to really needy cases for exemption, while exemptions are shown to "special groups".

The "thousands of Australians that can't get home" is always made to sound like it's people who've been waiting since March last year. But it's a different "thousands", many of whom have been home, gone OS again and are now in the queue again. Well over 500,000 have returned during that time, and people are daily joining that queue which is affected not only by our acceptance rates but the availability of flights, many of which can't or don't want to come all the way to Australia half empty, which is also why fares are so high.

'Taking a place from a stranded Australian' is just hyperbole.

there is no such thing as outside the cap.

there is thé stated cap and then there is the real cap. She is taking a spot in the real cap. a spot that could of gone to someone else Without increasing the risk to the country from outside infections.

the cap only exists to mitigate against overseas arrivals bringing COVID here. every person who comes in from a COVID region brings that risk and they are part of the cap that we as a country are willing to risk.

the cap has nothing to do with flight spots or hotel spots (note she is staying in a hotel). It’s a cap on our societies risk of bringing in potentially infected people.

Anyone who comes into the country is part of the cap. Anyone.

No thats not true at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back