Preview Changes vs Dogs not Suns (courtesy of loose lips Brayshaw) - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you just swap our leading goalkicker in Fritsch for Jay Lockhart????
I rate Lockhart, I'm a big fan but why the fu** would fritta not be best 22 next year? Das crazy talk
Laurie's in there ahead of Brayshaw and Viney. May as well be the old 'first round pick' slid into the best 22.

Last edited:
Did you just swap our leading goalkicker in Fritsch for Jay Lockhart????
I rate Lockhart, I'm a big fan but why the fu** would fritta not be best 22 next year? Das crazy talk

Oversight , move Lockhart to the bench for Laurie

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
For this week anyway:

Vanders to sub (Think he's a great sub option: experienced, relatively versatile, impact player), Sparrow out of the team, Harmes into the midfield (he works better with Clarry and Trac) and tag Libba if he's back into the team, Viney to spend more minutes at half forward in a "run around like a madman and put as much of the fear of god into the dogs running half backs as you can".

It's a bit of a headache and to be honest, i'd rather we essentially rest Viney and just use him in finals/big games from here on out. If he isn't bringing that feral dog intensity at the man then he's not of much use.

Bulldogs have brought Schache in

The mind games begin with 4 tall forwards

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Dogs have bought in Hannan, schache and libba

Looks like they'll have
Ugle-hagan, Bruce, Naughton, schache and Hannan all over 190cm.

In the cold, drizzly, wet MCG on a sat night.

That's very bold.
Baffling. Especially considering Schache is very average. Could be a late change or Bevo has something in mind to counter May, Lever, Petty.

not that baffling to me, pretty straight forward what bevo is thinking I reckon, he wants the ball brought to ground in the forward line coz he thinks we're suspect on the deck. Reckon Schache will play as a pseudo defender and just attempt to stop May and Lever from intercept marking.

Ugle Hagan and Hannan can play below their knees so their forward line is not as tall as it may seem on paper.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'm worried about Vanders/Harmes/Viney/Sparrow all being in and around the team at the same time.

It's got Crazy Goody 2019 vibes all over it.
I want the 2018 version of Crazy Goody back. Just him acting weird without it having any particular correlation with results

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
not that baffling to me, pretty straight forward what bevo is thinking I reckon, he wants the ball brought to ground in the forward line coz he thinks we're suspect on the deck. Reckon Schache will play as a pseudo defender and just attempt to stop May and Lever from intercept marking.

Ugle Hagan and Hannan can play below their knees so their forward line is not as tall as it may seem on paper.
You're still suggesting they have 4 guys in their forward 50 (and possibly English who loves resting forward) I could definitely understand the idea of it at docklands, but the MCG on a forecast wet/windy Saturday night is definitely ambitious.

I agree Hannan plays smaller, still find it puzzling myself though.

You're still suggesting they have 4 guys in their forward 50 (and possibly English who loves resting forward) I could definitely understand the idea of it at docklands, but the MCG on a forecast wet/windy Saturday night is definitely ambitious.

I agree Hannan plays smaller, still find it puzzling myself though.

I get the forecast conditions aren't suited to tall forwards but its more about not allowing our backline to dominate in the air

When you have guys like May and Lever, particularly Lever, who we like to match up on smaller opponent so he can come off them and take intercept marks you need to create a contest against them instead of letting them fly for the ball solo.

Ross Lyon below talks about that we had Lever playing on Weightman last time , Dogs clearly looking to stretch us so Lever can't play off a small

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get the forecast conditions aren't suited to tall forwards but its more about not allowing our backline to dominate in the air

When you have guys like May and Lever, particularly Lever, who we like to match up on smaller opponent so he can come off them and take intercept marks you need to create a contest against them instead of letting them fly for the ball solo.

Ross Lyon below talks about that we had Lever playing on Weightman last time , Dogs clearly looking to stretch us so Lever can't play off a small

Yeah I get that ploy, I'd just imagine that if you wanted to win dirty/ground ball, would you be not better off getting it in quick and low to quicker mid sized forwards? My thoughts have been we tend to get beaten by the medium sized guys who can mark, but also play well on the ground. Teams that give multi options forward. The only time talls have got us really was Collingwood on a nice sunny afternoon.

Will wait and see who runs out anyway, there's obviously a chance that changes between now and then anyway.

Yeah I get that ploy, I'd just imagine that if you wanted to win dirty/ground ball, would you be not better off getting it in quick and low to quicker mid sized forwards? My thoughts have been we tend to get beaten by the medium sized guys who can mark, but also play well on the ground. Teams that give multi options forward. The only time talls have got us really was Collingwood on a nice sunny afternoon.

Will wait and see who runs out anyway, there's obviously a chance that changes between now and then anyway.

He's probably just thinking reduce intercept marks and get the ball to ground at all costs and you're half way to beating us. Saw what Hawthorn did last week and how shaky we looked with the ball on the deck at times.

Back