News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Used to be Olympics required a min 100k seating stadium but the that policy left a lot of white elephants around the world. Target is now50-60k.

I thought that was one of the main reasons that Brisbane got the nod. Much of the infrastructure is already in place.

Is the Olympics the big money earner that it used to be? The IOC is no different from any other sport and faces the same business threats. There's a lot more entertainment competition in the marketplace than twenty years ago.

Barring a situation like Qatar getting the World Cup, I think the days of countries investing heavily in building everything they need to host an Olympics might be over.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I started a thread but didn't see this one, so I'll post here.

I saw it is possibly 3+ years we are displaced?

I see this as a major issue for player retention and membership, especially if we move to metricon.

The end result will be incredible and happy to make the sacrifice, just hold real fears about what it does to our footy club through that period.

I'd prefer to play infront of 10k fans at Springfield than 7k (unless big Melbourne teams) at Metricon.

Really perplexing how we navigate this.

I thought that was one of the main reasons that Brisbane got the nod. Much of the infrastructure is already in place.

Is the Olympics the big money earner that it used to be? The IOC is no different from any other sport and faces the same business threats. There's a lot more entertainment competition in the marketplace than twenty years ago.

Yep, heard that too. ABC reported the Olympics budget is 4.5 billion. The IOC cough up 2.5 billion and they reckon ticket sales and sponsors make up the rest.

The John Coates reprimand to Anna Bligh today (which actually helps her handle the political storm about traveling. Not sure it wasn't scripted). Anyway, he said 75-100 million for the opening ceremony.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, heard that too. ABC reported the Olympics budget is 4.5 billion. The IOC cough up 2.5 billion and they reckon ticket sales and sponsors make up the rest.

The John Coates reprimand to Anna Bligh today (which actually helps her handle the political storm about traveling. Not sure it wasn't scripted). Anyway, he said 75-100 million for the opening ceremony.

Who's Anna Bligh?

Who's Anna Bligh?
5B9EB818-ABFC-4826-8750-8C62B11C1D41.jpeg

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The truth is no one wants to host the Olympics any more which is why we were the only bidder.

It's been monumentally deleterious for Japan but no one could've predicted covid.

I think to be financially viable events are going to have to be sent to many parts of the country .

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the explanation Bangy.

The other big issue is the changing geopolitical landscape around the world.

First a pandemic , next economic hardship ,food shortages which are already being felt in many areas , and then militarism.

The world is likely to be a very different space in 1932.

Which is why none of the major powers are interested in the Olympics that far out.

The truth is no one wants to host the Olympics any more which is why we were the only bidder.
There were others but we were miles ahead in both filing and organisation.

Thanks for the explanation Bangy.

The other big issue is the changing geopolitical landscape around the world.

First a pandemic , next economic hardship ,food shortages which are already being felt in many areas , and then militarism.

The world is likely to be a very different space in 1932.

Which is why none of the major powers are interested in the Olympics that far out.
1932?
And Gadzorks thought he was on fire.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Barring a situation like Qatar getting the World Cup, I think the days of countries investing heavily in building everything they need to host an Olympics might be over.
From watching the ABC this morning. They did a expose on their dedicated news channel.

The Olympics have never been a big money earner. Only one modern Olympics has reportedly broken even, and that was Atlanta.

The ABC reported this morning that the budget is $10 billion, not the $5 billion reported last night.

No Olympics has ever come in on budget. Again the ABC reported the average is 170% over budget.

That turns a $10b price tag in to a $27b cost.

80% of the infrastructure is in place, but much of it will need to be renovated to some extent over the next decade.

The benefit should be a lot of new sporting infrastructure over the 3 zones, which should last 20 to 30 years before needing to be upgraded.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From watching the ABC this morning. They did a expose on their dedicated news channel.

The Olympics have never been a big money earner. Only one modern Olympics has reportedly broken even, and that was Atlanta.

The ABC reported this morning that the budget is $10 billion, not the $5 billion reported last night.

No Olympics has ever come in on budget. Again the ABC reported the average is 170% over budget.

That turns a $10b price tag in to a $27b cost.

80% of the infrastructure is in place, but much of it will need to be renovated to some extent over the next decade.

The benefit should be a lot of new sporting infrastructure over the 3 zones, which should last 20 to 30 years before needing to be upgraded.

What time frame were they talking about here? And what conditions? Were they talking about immediate return via ticket sales, tourism boost & sponsors?

Talk each year is that the F1 loses money for Victoria, but does it? Not an easy thing to accurately gauge.

Edit: Not being argumentative, just curious what details they provided with the expose.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
What time frame were they talking about here? And what conditions? Were they talking about immediate return via ticket sales, tourism boost & sponsors?

Talk each year is that the F1 loses money for Victoria, but does it? Not an easy thing to accurately gauge.

Edit: Not being argumentative, just curious what details they provided with the expose.
All of that.

The reason why Atlanta reportedly broke even was all the USA sponsors and the level of tourism they received.

No Olympics ticket sales has come close to matching the costs.

Again, the ABC reported that the AOC expects to make $5b from ticket sales. That’s going to be some very expensive ticketing.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All of that.

The reason why Atlanta reportedly broke even was all the USA sponsors and the level of tourism they received.

No Olympics ticket sales has come close to matching the costs.

Again, the ABC reported that the AOC expects to make $5b from ticket sales. That’s going to be some very expensive ticketing.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about though. If it's purely a how much money comes in directly for the Olympics / F1 / local wood chopping comp, the numbers will never match up. Ticket sales, sponsorship etc.

How much additional revenue comes in to the economy via accommodation, and general spending in the economy during the event?

And even more vague, what additional flow on is experienced in the months after such an event?

I'll bet my lefty that the Sydney games were a net win overall.

There were others but we were miles ahead in both filing and organisation.

I remember (I think I remember) that after the 2000 Olympics there were calls, mostly in jest, saying Australia was such a success crowd wise, great place, sports mad people, well organised and perfect time for live tv to the northern hemisphere audiences it should be permanently held in Australia.

Strange times, who knows what's going to happen.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is not correct. The IOC has a new bidding process. We were just the preferred candidate after the early bids were made.
Britzoon imo it is correct.

There is a new bidding process. Yes.

Do you not think the major economic and financial powers would be able to work their way through a new bidding process if they really wanted to ?

I'm not putting the kybosh on the whole thing and the romantic thought of Australia hosting the Olympics excites me as much as any other sports loving Aussie.

But the world is in the process of undergoing dramatic economic and geopolitical changes over the next decade which is one of the reasons why we ended up winning this bid. Without much fanfare.

Just my reading of what has occurred here.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Being away from the Gabba for a couple of years is okay if we have Springfield for that whole time, because we can add temporary stands to it. A 20k capacity isn't ideal, but it'll do.

The real problem will arise if Springfield is used for the Olympics too. I heard somewhere that they want it for the decathlon or some other obscure event. If that happens we're almost certainly getting sent to Metricon for a year or two, which will be very annoying.

The only way I can see to get out of that is to partner with Cricket Australia and lobby the government to either leave Springfield as a venue for both sports to play at in that time, or add temporary stands to Allan Border Field.

Being away from the Gabba for a couple of years is okay if we have Springfield for that whole time, because we can add temporary stands to it. A 20k capacity isn't ideal, but it'll do.

The real problem will arise if Springfield is used for the Olympics too. I heard somewhere that they want it for the decathlon or some other obscure event. If that happens we're almost certainly getting sent to Metricon for a year or two, which will be very annoying.

The only way I can see to get out of that is to partner with Cricket Australia and lobby the government to either leave Springfield as a venue for both sports to play at in that time, or add temporary stands to Allan Border Field.
The Olympics is only on for 2 weeks.
There would be no need to kick us out for 2 years for an even that happens over 2 weeks.

Back