Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Riewoldt bemoaned on The Couch a few weeks ago how Geelong always seems to fly under the radar. Yeah, they do because the media ignores the team 85% of the time. The only time all this season I've seen a lot of positive mentions was after we beat Richmond. But other than that, our games garner hardly any mention at all. Our players rarely talked about. When Brisbane beat us a few weeks ago I think many of the experts wrote us off for the flag too.
He also mentioned this week that we play home finals away. Hope more people acknowledge it so it keeps gaining traction

Clarko ain’t much better. And none of those assistants directly challenged his throne, like mitchell is now doing. He does have a massive ego, and is an angry little dwarf.

A lot of it will come down to if he wanted to leave. I don’t believe he did. But kennett had him in the gun for years, and their hand was forced by mitchell putting his hat in the ring for the collingwood job. Notice that he removed himself from the race the day before the succession plan announcement. Forced their hand.

Clarko got called into a meeting expecting to hear news about a potential extension, only to be told to gtfo once his contract is finished. I hope he is fuming and fireworks ensue.

How do we know Mitchell is agitating to move Clarke out? I have seen mentioned around but no sort of evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How do we know Mitchell is agitating to move Clarke out? I have seen mentioned around but no sort of evidence.

you are familiar with how media works these days right...

Facts and substance no longer matter or are required

Go Catters

you are familiar with how media works these days right...

Facts and substance no longer matter or are required

Go Catters
What facts could you present in that context, though? A wiretap of Mitchell complaining?

I happy with that though. Let’s just get on with it.
The inordinate amount of time they spend on Carlton, who haven’t been a factor for a long, long time now is truly amazing. Keep it up I say.
And bloody Collingwood. I am sick of the attention this below average team receives. Every player debuting for Collingwood is an absolute gun. Pendlebury is the benchmark for all aspiring captains and midfielders, etc

So then you don’t write a mischievous report that can’t be verified.
Although that would severely reduce media coverage!

Former journalist here.

Anonymity protects whistleblowers from losing their jobs. It would be horrendous for the world if journalists had to verify their sources--because verifying their sources means revealing those sources, which would then put those sources in precarious positions. It would also mean that people just stop talking to journalists, allowing a lot of really shady and horrific crap to continue on in the darkness. The first rule of journalism we are taught at university is "protect your source." Protecting them means protecting they privacy, their job, and sometimes even their physical safety by keeping their identity secret.

Just because the truth comes from an anonymous source does not mean it is a lie.

Caro has first class sources in the industry. She was the one journalist of note certain that Buckley was gone from the Pies. When she is sprouting her biased opinion, like defending Richmond or carrying on about Geelong wanting a home game at home, just ignore her. But when it comes to behind the scenes drama she is the one journalist to trust.

If she says there is drama at the Hawks, then there is drama at the Hawks. Full stop.

I couldn't be happier lmao.

Former journalist here.

Anonymity protects whistleblowers from losing their jobs. It would be horrendous for the world if journalists had to verify their sources--because verifying their sources means revealing those sources, which would then put those sources in precarious positions. It would also mean that people just stop talking to journalists, allowing a lot of really shady and horrific crap to continue on in the darkness. The first rule of journalism we are taught at university is "protect your source." Protecting them means protecting they privacy, their job, and sometimes even their physical safety by keeping their identity secret.

Just because the truth comes from an anonymous source does not mean it is a lie.

Caro has first class sources in the industry. She was the one journalist of note certain that Buckley was gone from the Pies. When she is sprouting her biased opinion, like defending Richmond or carrying on about Geelong wanting a home game at home, just ignore her. But when it comes to behind the scenes drama she is the one journalist to trust.

If she says there is drama at the Hawks, then there is drama at the Hawks. Full stop.

Problem with too much of todays media is they use this as a screen to genuinely make things up.
"I have a "source" that says "xyz"", when in reality they think a situation could occur and want to be first so they can say "I told you!".
Tom Browne is number 1 at this, but there are plenty of others around the place.
Look at how often TV and online media networks jump onto deliberately fake "news" without ever checking sources and are made to look like fools.
New journalism is about clicks, not truth.

Former journalist here.

Probably nothing whatever to do with the celebrated occasion when Buckley called her out on live TV for lying in some articles, and she was forced to admit that she did (from memory, the expression she used was "exaggeration" or something similar, and her excuse was that it was sometimes necessary to make more impact and a better "story")

He also mentioned this week that we play home finals away. Hope more people acknowledge it so it keeps gaining traction
N.Riewoldt has been one of the rare few to consistently mention the inequity about Geelong and home games. He was doing the same last year when all and sundry were bringing up the potential integrity issues with the COVID-affected fixture by reminding them that the FIXture has never had any integrity at the best of times with Geelong hosting Melbourne teams at their own home ground.

Clarkson appears to have put everything to rest by stating today that he'll remain at Hawthorn until the end of '22.

Until it actually happens one way or the other we don't know who is telling tales. Of course the Hawks are going to respond to try and put out the spot fire mid season. If there legitimately is friction there, better for everyone if Clarko stays on next year :)

N.Riewoldt has been one of the rare few to consistently mention the inequity about Geelong and home games. He was doing the same last year when all and sundry were bringing up the potential integrity issues with the COVID-affected fixture by reminding them that the FIXture has never had any integrity at the best of times with Geelong hosting Melbourne teams at their own home ground.

Maybe it's a St Kilda thing because Nathan Bourke was another that stood up for Geelong a couple of seasons back when we had to play our "home" final against Richmond at the MCG rather than KP

I still remember him on the radio discussing the matter:
- the H&A season is about the fans, but finals is about the club and maximizing their chances of progressing through the finals
- yes fans want to attend, but if you ask them which they'd prefer, "attend the final in person by not playing on at your home ground, or you can play at your home ground but can't attend & instead watch on TV", majority would take watching on TV if it maximizes the chance for the team to progress through to the GF
- it should be the home teams choice where to play, until the GF which is then played at the MCG

He also spoke about how he would have loved the opportunity to play games & finals at Moorabbin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until it actually happens one way or the other we don't know who is telling tales. Of course the Hawks are going to respond to try and put out the spot fire mid season. If there legitimately is friction there, better for everyone if Clarko stays on next year :)

Yeah, the behaviour and words all round are to be expected, no matter what, but one of them is painting themselves as an ever bigger liar with every passing word if the rumoured friction is eventually proven true.

What facts could you present in that context, though? A wiretap of Mitchell complaining?

Something like Mitchel saying he’s ready whenever to coach which I could live with as coda for f’off Clarko you old bugger.

One of the others implied someone very close to mitchell was the one leaking the story. There were only 6 people in the meeting, so it has to be true. Otherwise no one would have even known the meeting happened. Kennett coming out later on to admit the meeting happened, “but it wasn’t an arbitration meeting”. Pretty much confirmed it happened.

Problem with too much of todays media is they use this as a screen to genuinely make things up.
"I have a "source" that says "xyz"", when in reality they think a situation could occur and want to be first so they can say "I told you!".
Tom Browne is number 1 at this, but there are plenty of others around the place.
Look at how often TV and online media networks jump onto deliberately fake "news" without ever checking sources and are made to look like fools.
New journalism is about clicks, not truth.

Journo and Tom Browne should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Clarkson appears to have put everything to rest by stating today that he'll remain at Hawthorn until the end of '22.

So did malthouse. He just wants the $1 million they owe him for next season. If they dangled that in front of him right now, he would be out the door faster than you can say new carlton coach.

Former journalist here.

All of this is correct. Won't be a popular opinion on BigFooty though given that journalists are considered to be evil incarnate here.

i get the intent of what hes saying... ( that with soft caps and support at club level weakening its going to be harder to properly support those coming to the club that need it) - and id say's that 100% correct.

but the execution was really not good.

not good at all.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back