News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

The Olympics is only on for 2 weeks.
There would be no need to kick us out for 2 years for an even that happens over 2 weeks.
I'm going to assume you're referring to Springfield, since they're knocking the Gabba down and rebuilding it, which takes time. The IOC are not going to want us mucking up their field the week before the Olympics start.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about though. If it's purely a how much money comes in directly for the Olympics / F1 / local wood chopping comp, the numbers will never match up. Ticket sales, sponsorship etc.

How much additional revenue comes in to the economy via accommodation, and general spending in the economy during the event?

And even more vague, what additional flow on is experienced in the months after such an event?

I'll bet my lefty that the Sydney games were a net win overall.
Accommodation, general spending, etc is all part of tourism though.

There are pretty simple (not really) ways they measure the revenue of tourism, etc. How much spending was there in the economy in the year before, compared to an Olympic year.

They also include sales of Olympic related infrastructure, such as the athletes village, etc.

If we are lucky enough to get Springfield upgraded as part of the Olympics you would think it would be on the proviso that it is used before as a pre games training hub which could possibly mean an athletics track, the installation and removal of the track + getting the field back up to AFL standard would take it out of action for a good couple of months at least IMO.

Unless they just use it for say Archery, Softball and Baseball where no track would be needed.... it would then only be out of action for maybe a month, just play a string of away matches during that time.

Britzoon imo it is correct.

There is a new bidding process. Yes.

Do you not think the major economic and financial powers would be able to work their way through a new bidding process if they really wanted to ?

I'm not putting the kybosh on the whole thing and the romantic thought of Australia hosting the Olympics excites me as much as any other sports loving Aussie.

But the world is in the process of undergoing dramatic economic and geopolitical changes over the next decade which is one of the reasons why we ended up winning this bid. Without much fanfare.

Just my reading of what has occurred here.
Sorry, but you said…
The truth is no one wants to host the Olympics any more which is why we were the only bidder.
My reply was, this is not correct.

Sure, maybe the USA, European countries, etc didn’t bid. But that’s not the same as Brisbane was the only bidder.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about though. If it's purely a how much money comes in directly for the Olympics / F1 / local wood chopping comp, the numbers will never match up. Ticket sales, sponsorship etc.

How much additional revenue comes in to the economy via accommodation, and general spending in the economy during the event?

And even more vague, what additional flow on is experienced in the months after such an event?

I'll bet my lefty that the Sydney games were a net win overall.
There has been numerous research in to the cost, and cost benefits of hosting an Olympics.

All of it comes to the same conclusions.

Britzoon imo it is correct.

There is a new bidding process. Yes.

Do you not think the major economic and financial powers would be able to work their way through a new bidding process if they really wanted to ?

I'm not putting the kybosh on the whole thing and the romantic thought of Australia hosting the Olympics excites me as much as any other sports loving Aussie.

But the world is in the process of undergoing dramatic economic and geopolitical changes over the next decade which is one of the reasons why we ended up winning this bid. Without much fanfare.

Just my reading of what has occurred here.
Quick google search listed four countries originally bidding for the 2032 Olympics. Hungary, Qatar, Germany and Australia.

Paris hosts 2024, and LA hosts 2028.

There has been numerous research in to the cost, and cost benefits of hosting an Olympics.

All of it comes to the same conclusions.

These articles are great reading. Good news for us though. We have three cities with permanent sporting infrastructure, almost adequate public transport, and history in hosting Olympic or Commonwealth games.

I reckon Tokyo will struggle for obvious reasons. Will be interesting to see Paris & LA Olympics turn out.

Everything has changed for the 2032 Olympics
Comparing studies & costs of past Olympic Games is normally useful but not in this case or games in the future
Also Brisbane has the longest lead in time knowing your bid was successful for an Olympics
This will help greatly for planning and should help regarding any possible budget blowouts
A great way to kick start the economy after 2 years of Covid 19 issues
So 10 years of Commonwealth/State & Local government budget allocations should see it through
The costs being shared 50% Commonwealth the balance mostly the Qld. State government with the LGA sharing costs in their area.
Brisbane needs some big transport infrastructure projects to cope for our predicted population increase so winning the bid is a good thing
These type of projects should now get the green light to proceed quickly and we have 10 years to get it done

Another thing to note:

IOC rules (and the contract that everyone has now signed up to) prevent other decent sized sporting events being held in a host city during or around the time of the Games.

“Host city” doesn’t just mean Brisbane in this case but any other city hosting anything. Melbourne and Sydney will be hosting Olympic football games and Gold Coast will also be hosting Olympic stuff, so no AFL games in those cities either in the two weeks of the games or a few weeks prior. This was the reason the AFL season was brought forward by 4 weeks in 2000. The GF was on 2 September and the Sydney Olympics began on the 15th.

More than likely that the 2032 AFL season will need to be put on hold for 4 weeks or so to accomodate the Brisbane games.

or add temporary stands to Allan Border Field.
Can only fit a 110m x 140m oval, smaller than the Exhibition Ground which wasn't deemed big enough for AFLW.

There is always a chance we could take over that place for a couple of years when we are kicked out of the Gabba.
There would need to be work done on the field. But other than that there would be enough seating to accomodate a crowd.
Wouldn’t be much fun if it were raining though and the amenities would be pretty crap.

I'm going to assume you're referring to Springfield, since they're knocking the Gabba down and rebuilding it, which takes time. The IOC are not going to want us mucking up their field the week before the Olympics start.

Someone else covered it, but we won't be playing in Brisbane the week before (or during) an Olympics.

In fact, going back to history...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a cartographer, I concur with the assessment of Bass Strait being removed. From a professional point of view that that "map" features a method of generalisation called aggregation where smaller features are effectively merged into larger ones. So, in fact, we were be being inclusive. Suck it Tassie.

Below are the official dates for 2032 Brisbane Olympics. Short extract taken from Olympic site

Brisbane is a special place. It will host a memorable and exciting Games and the world will be welcome.

We thank the Members of the International Olympic Committee for entrusting us with this great responsibility.

The Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games. History beckons.

Dates
Olympic Games 23 July to 8 August 2032

Paralympic Games 24 August to 5 September 2032

There is always a chance we could take over that place for a couple of years when we are kicked out of the Gabba.
There would need to be work done on the field. But other than that there would be enough seating to accomodate a crowd.
Wouldn’t be much fun if it were raining though and the amenities would be pretty crap.

I wonder if moving to Tassie would lose players. With the talk of the warmth of Qld helping older players with injuries gotta think a few older guys would move to warmer climate.

I'm not a fan of that idea.

Below are the official dates for 2032 Brisbane Olympics. Short extract taken from Olympic site

Brisbane is a special place. It will host a memorable and exciting Games and the world will be welcome.

We thank the Members of the International Olympic Committee for entrusting us with this great responsibility.

The Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games. History beckons.

Dates
Olympic Games 23 July to 8 August 2032

Paralympic Games 24 August to 5 September 2032

That break between the two is the real killer.

As a cartographer, I concur with the assessment of Bass Strait being removed. From a professional point of view that that "map" features a method of generalisation called aggregation where smaller features are effectively merged into larger ones. So, in fact, we were be being inclusive. Suck it Tassie.

Haha dear Tasmania, with all due respect...

That break between the two is the real killer.

Checked Sydney 2000 Olympic dates
Olympics: 15th Sep to Oct 1st
Paralympics: 18th Oct to 29 Oct
AFL grand final brought forward to 1st Sep

Although i took these date from the official Olympic site I now notice they are the same as Tokyo
So maybe they are just tentative dates?.
However
Paris 2024: 27th July to 12th Aug
LA 2028: 22th July to 7th Aug

So July to Aug looks like a preferred time slot
If they can't get a date change like Sydney then that will be a big disruption to AFL & NRL

I wonder if moving to Tassie would lose players. With the talk of the warmth of Qld helping older players with injuries gotta think a few older guys would move to warmer climate.

I'm not a fan of that idea.
Tassie would be a terrible idea.
I was talking about QSAC

Although i took these date from the official Olympic site I now notice they are the same as Tokyo
So maybe they are just tentative dates?.
However
Paris 2024: 27th July to 12th Aug
LA 2028: 22th July to 7th Aug

So July to Aug looks like a preferred time slot
If they can't get a date change like Sydney then that will be a big disruption to AFL & NRL

There's a fair bit of leeway. Sydney held theirs in September because of their wet winters, so the dry spring was more conducive to hosting. Seoul also hosted theirs in September, and going back further Tokyo and Mexico was in October. Obviously Brisbane wouldn't hold the Summer Olympics actually in summer, but could use the same logic to hold theirs in August/September.

I just had agreat idea, ok it was the wifes.
Light the fire with a sherrin been kicked through the goal posts;
From the pocket, could be a long night though.
Bring back Aker to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back