Preview Geelong vs Richmond - MCG, Sunday July 25, 1:45 - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
cats can be very flakey, i'm suggesting its a 50/50 game and if we can apply the blowtorch we are in this up to our eyeballs.
Absolutely. Last week was the best pressure we've applied all season. If we can replicate that I reckon we'll win.

Dimma whinges maybe once or twice a year, he’s usually joking around at his press conferences.

Last year he whinged about Longmire and the Swans tactics, then rang Longmire and apologised.

This year he whinged about Etihad and then Scott whinged about Dimma whingeing.

Yeah I guess you’re right. I mean we could all imagine Dimma being silent if Richmond were forced to play 3-4 of their home games at Marvel.

I’m all for a bit of banter in these threads, but seriously if any rationale supporter can’t see the absurdity of the matter then they’re completely missing the point. And if Hardwick (or anyone else) was coaching Geelong they’d be saying the same thing.

A bit of balance in this wouldn’t go astray. Particularly from supporters whose side plays well over half their games at their “home” ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah I guess you’re right. I mean we could all imagine Dimma being silent if Richmond were forced to play 3-4 of their home games at Marvel.

I’m all for a bit of banter in these threads, but seriously if any rationale supporter can’t see the absurdity of the matter then they’re completely missing the point. And if Hardwick (or anyone else) was coaching Geelong they’d be saying the same thing.

A bit of balance in this wouldn’t go astray. Particularly from supporters whose side plays well over half their games at their “home” ground.

Doesn't seem too be a problem when you play Hawthorn every year at MCG at easter .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You guys get the best fixture in the league every year. Bunch of home games at your weirdly shaped shithole practice ground no one else uses in front your feral fans then some quality MCG experience 30 mins up the road. Nets you an extra few wins each year than if you had to play home games against co-tenants most of the time. Plus your CEO just ran the AFL for a few years changing rules to help you. Chris Salt needs to quit his bitching

Hate to say it, he went to my old school, but Scott is mentally slow and inert.
Never stops being a sook.
The great coaches have an X factor, and he lacks it.
Goodwin, to his credit, had done a lot of research in the off season.
Anyway, in Sheds and Caddy.
Caddy always intimidates the Cats, they let him go.

Last edited:
You guys get the best fixture in the league every year. Bunch of home games at your weirdly shaped shithole practice ground no one else uses in front your feral fans then some quality MCG experience 30 mins up the road. Nets you an extra few wins each year than if you had to play home games against co-tenants most of the time. Plus your CEO just ran the AFL for a few years changing rules to help you. Chris Salt needs to quit his bitching
And where was it again that the Cats lost the Grand Final last year, oh that's right it wasn't even the MCG. I am so proud of our boys not letting that bald midget win a premiership after he sulked his way out of his Gold Coast contract.

If you want a bit of balance Jumping Jack - where was Robinson and his crew before they drugged up Essendon, oh that's right they were down at Kardinia Park. I am calling it here right now The Cats premierships this century are as suspect as West Coke's

so what weight do you give to the advantage Geelong has over every other club in Victoria that they play 8 games at a ground they don’t co-tenant?

Only the NSW and QLD teams have that advantage. Why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any"rationale" footy supporter can also see with their own eyes that an ex Geelong flog was given the keys to the AFL rules and systematically changed the game to blunt Richmond's biggest weapons. Then scuttled back to Corio Bay with a Cheshire Cat grin on his face at the very first opportunity. So if you want to come into our rooms to whingeelong about not getting enough FIXtured games at your bocce rink of a ground, don't be surprised if we send you packing Jack.

How's that for balance ?

Last edited:

balance ???

After last weeks very good win won't make more than 2 changes.

Outs: Dusty (inj), Macca (inj)
Ins: Edwards, Caddy (Ross Sub), OR Ross in (Caddy Sub)

7 out Injured from our best 22 (not including Soldo and CCJ is now available after a calf issue)
Dusty
Prestia
Vlustuin
Macintosh
Balta
Broad
Houli

2 out Injured from Cats best 22
Cameron
Duncan

View attachment 1184112

Geelong coach Chris Scott has called on the AFL to explain their "ethical framework" around where finals matches are scheduled.

The high-flying Cats, who are in the mix for a top-two berth, had their request to shift Sunday's match against reigning premiers Richmond from the MCG to GMHBA Stadium denied by the league.

Scott insisted the club had moved on quickly from the call, with the AFL citing a range of factors for the decision including commercial entitlements.

"In the current environment, there are plenty of examples of the AFL and the clubs needing to be ready to adjust on the fly," he said on Thursday.

"I think the broader conversation into the future, around where teams should play their home games, is a conversation we should have in the future."

Scott reiterated his position that clubs should be able to decide where their 11 home fixtures are played.

"Certainly when it comes to finals, that is slightly different in my view to home-and-away games in that the AFL decides the fixture there," he said.

"The question should be directed at them. They should explain their ethical framework for those situations.

"The AFL makes its own decision. We get very, very little say, if any."

Geelong take on a Richmond team that is without superstar Dustin Martin but Scott insisted his side won't be complacent.

"Even though he's the best player in the comp, there will be another really good player who comes in and plays a similar role to him," he said.

"They've shown over a long period of time they can replace really, really high-level players with guys who can come in and do the job."

Scott revealed he was "really confident" of having Jeremy Cameron back on deck before the end of the regular season after the star forward strained his hamstring in round 16

"(That will) give him and us enough time to make sure he is absolutely cherry ripe going into finals," he said.

Geelong expect to have Gary Rohan (quad) and Lachie Henderson (personal reasons) available for Shaun Higgins' 250th match this weekend.

Scott said it was a "bit harder to tell" when midfielder Mitch Duncan would return from a PCL injury but the club was "supremely confident" he'll play this year.

Scott insisted the club had moved on quickly from the call.

Moved on :think: what's he smoking. Today is the 22nd of July and this article is dated July 22nd, AFL quashed their request many days ago, that's not moving on quickly Scotty boy that's living rent-free in your mind MCG>GHMBA

You’re missing the point of what I was replying to.
The post I replied to was that Dimma whinged once about Etihad and the media lost their mind yet Scott whinges about something nearly every week and the media don’t say a thing.

I agree with you. Geelong should play 11 games per year at KP. The issue that Geelong fans from my perspective don't understand is that your games at the MCG will reduce dramatically. There might even be years where you only get 1 game at the G (and multiple trips to Tassie). Then you'll be clamoring like the interstate clubs about not getting enough experience/games there before finals. I think the on-field success of Geelong in Scott's time has been due to the KP/MCG split of games. You can bank plenty of wins at your home ground, but still get 6+ games at the G, where major finals are played. Cats requesting all home games at KP is a classic 'be careful what you wish for' scenario.

The other point is that of double-standards. Hardwick earlier this year in response to a journalist question said that he doesn't want to play home games at Marvel. Those games are usually against Marvel-based teams (StK, WB, NM) or against an interstate team (often Sydney) which removes all our home ground advantage and often gives the "away" team home ground advantage. If you recall, Hardwick was ripped to shreds by the media for this fairly inconsequential remark. In terms of double-standards, it's not just Geelong who have to host games at places they may not want to play, or the opposition home ground. The last point is that Hardwick has been consistent in stating that Richmond are happy to play at KP. The current situation is purely the AFLs doing and they're the only ones that can undo it.

Kind comments in the media by Phil Davis regarding Dustin.
Phil had kidney surgery after a collision in 2014.
Have always liked Phil.
Hope one day he wins a premiership.

Another big game for the Tigers this Sunday against the Cats. I personally wouldn't have minded the game being shifted to QLD to Metricon, just to really unsettle & rattle the the cage of the very entitled mentality of the Geelong Football Club, but in light of what has surfaced the last couple of days, re: Salty Scott's delusional comments about AFL fixturing, the rent free saga of having to play big games at the MCG, will do the trick nicely :).
This is a very winnable game for the Tigers, as the Cats have had some very soft kills in the last 4 weeks, including perennial underachievers, Fremantle, Carlton & Essendon, interestingly, the one game they lost in that bracket was to the Lions at the Gabba, where due to their their current age profile (being an older playing group), they were badly exposed playing on a larger sized oval for leg speed, particularly on the outside of the contest. This is the key for the Tigers in this game. Bigger ground, genuine leg speed, both on the inside & outside of the contest, to expose their major deficiency.
Dusty is a big out this week, due to his big game experience (he really lifts for these clashes), however it does give another player the opportunity to step up & shine in his (unfortunate) absence. I would have Shai Bolton, playing the Dusty role, with a 60/40 midfield/forward split, as he has all the tools to cause the Cats major headaches with matchups. The things that really worked in last weeks match against the Lions, should be persevered with again this week in terms of, Nankervis & Chol sharing the rucking duties, with Nank playing the more defensive role & blocking holes in the Cats forward line entries & playing a intercept spoiling / marking role & Chol pushing forward into the forward 50 area, looking for goal scoring opportunities.
Manic pressure in & around the on ball contested area, forcing rushed kicks from their players & allowing our defensive structures to set up behind play, win the ball back & then put the opposition under enormous pressure, with repeated forward 50 entries. Really liked the move of Stack & Rioli, playing a hard defensive, run & gun attacking style of play off the half back line & using their great kicking skills to advantage for the team. Unfortunately the two untouchables (Castagna & Aarts), will be playing gain this week (what was the deal with George showboating last weekend :mad: & not giving the ball off to JR8 for a certain goal & instead we had to endure the missed banana kick on goal), however Shane Edwards is a massive in & is also going to cause major match up headaches for the opposition, with his ability to play in multiple positions on the field. I would leave the selected team as is, which would leave the interchange bench of: Stack, Chol, Ross & Graham, with RCD & Caddy (whom I would love to see in the team) unlucky to miss out.

How good would it be to play the role of party pooper, win the game, deny the Cats the opportunity to get into a top 2 position on the ladder, spoil the milestone games of Higgins & Ratugolea & then get to listen to & watch all the whingeing from the Geelong faithful, about how the game should have been played at kitty litter park & AFL biased fixturing, yep it could be fun.

Go Tigers...Raise The Fight...Eat Em Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back