Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
What’s an example of a club that’s done that and found it beneficial?

It hasnt led to the ultimate success yet but I think Port Adelaide did it pretty well trading out guys like Polec and Wingard (both home grown boys and considered A grade talent at the time ) to help set up their 2018 draft hand

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It hasnt led to the ultimate success yet but I think Port Adelaide did it pretty well trading out guys like Polec and Wingard (both home grown boys and considered A grade talent at the time ) to help set up their 2018 draft hand
Did they shop them around though or did Polec and Wingard get saucy contracts elsewhere and want to leave?

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Did they shop them around though or did Polec and Wingard get saucy contracts elsewhere and want to leave?

Obviously none of us are privy to that.

Just trying to illustrate if you can find a situation where it benefits both parties then it can be good!

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Polec was uncontracted and got a silly offer from Port he couldn't refuse.

Totally different than trading a player under contract.
Ok but say gov gets a ridiculous offer and approaches us to leave.. a situation that benefits both perhaps.

I would pull the trigger

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
For example

Gov: Gee Nizzy/Vozzo my body is cooked and I don't have the drive to prepare as elite as I should be to perform at the level you guys thought I could when you signed me for big bucks

Nizzy/Vozzo: That's too bad gov sorry to hear that. By the way Gold Coast are offering you 1mil a year for the next 5. If you're keen we can explore, otherwise just say the word and you wont hear about it again. You've done so much for the club mate we're happy to keep you on the books.

Gov: This clubs done so much for me its unfair of me to stay maybe I head over east for a few years and come back in time for the kids just starting primary school and have some generational wealth behind me.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok but say gov gets a ridiculous offer and approaches us to leave.. a situation that benefits both perhaps.

I would pull the trigger
Why would a club even think about offering a contract to a player who has 2.5 years left?

A player swap like Metra to us and Sinclair to Sydney was ok.
But trying to trade contracted club legends out is a no no.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
For example

Gov: Gee Nizzy/Vozzo my body is cooked and I don't have the drive to prepare as elite as I should be to perform at the level you guys thought I could when you signed me for big bucks

Nizzy/Vozzo: That's too bad gov sorry to hear that. By the way Gold Coast are offering you 1mil a year for the next 5. If you're keen we can explore, otherwise just say the word and you wont hear about it again. You've done so much for the club mate we're happy to keep you on the books.

Gov: This clubs done so much for me its unfair of me to stay maybe I head over east for a few years and come back in time for the kids just starting primary school and have some generational wealth behind me.
Now you're in Laa Laa land:)

For example

In this example, why do Nizzy/Vozzo know about the contract offer from Gold Coast before McGovern does?

Why is Gov admitting he shouldn’t be on a big contract because he’s lost the drive for elite football, then looking at a similar sized contract elsewhere?

Why do these examples always have Gold Coast offering enormous deals to/for guys hitting 30? First Darling, now Gov.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a few words short of what Matt Rendell(?) said.

I get what he means, but you can't tell me private school boys don't have problems, they're just more expensive ones.

Last edited:

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

I get what he means, but you can't tell me private school boys don't have problems, they're just me expensive ones.

poorly chosen words I suspect. he is in part (as a voice of the club) playing politics with the AFL.

From Marc McGowan today about out of contract Eagles

Xavier O’Neill is no longer on the market since signing a two-year deal. Duggan is also looking at a multi-year contract, while Rotham and Foley are set to extend their stays as well. Redden has conceded he would have to be satisfied with a one-year deal. Brander is one of the Eagles’ most intriguing prospects who has always held appeal at rival teams, but is happy where he is. Spearhead Kennedy has not ruled out extending his career into a 17th season, while Hurn wants to play again next year. Ah Chee was in the team pre-hand injury but Ainsworth is out of the senior side and could be touch and go. Venables’ concussion issues could spell the end for him

Struth, looking at this would suggest we're not cutting a great deal at all at the end of the year then.

I will be MIGHTILY annoyed if we lose Brander.

Particularly with O'Neil getting a further 2 years. To me that is very generous. Would've gone 1 year at most and had him pegged to be delisted if we were to go really ruthless.

In other annoying news, Twomey just said on the podcast Ethan Regan has been asked about by many clubs now. Beyond pick 20 we can match but anything under, if a club wants him they can get him inside the first round. Hopefully he keeps growing, at 190cm's currently.

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Struth, looking at this would suggest we're not cutting a great deal at all at the end of the year then.

Particularly with O'Neil getting a further 2 years. To me that is very generous. Would've gone 1 year at most and had him pegged to be delisted if we were to go really ruthless.

In other annoying news, Twomey just said on the podcast Ethan Regan has been asked about by many clubs now. Beyond pick 20 we can match but anything under, if a club wants him they can get him inside the first round. Hopefully he keeps growing, at 190cm's currently.
Does this first round rule include the QLD and NSW academies too ?

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast

had to keep O’Neill. Shuey is pretty much cooked, redden maybe 1-2 years at most, gaff declining

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I get what he means, but you can't tell me private school boys don't have problems, they're just me expensive ones.

I dont mind picking up a potential Brownlow medalist from the Public School System. (for example: Shane Woewodin)

Good question. No idea, one of our cartoon draft guns Monocle AsterixTheGaul will know.

had to keep O’Neill. Shuey is pretty much cooked, redden maybe 1-2 years at most, gaff declining

If that's the case you'd be hoping a third year AFL mid would've shown a bit more by now, to be given another 2 years in the system.

I like XON, but i was hoping this year would've yielded some meaningful improvement, and it hasn't.

1626996706330.png

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
or a Rioli :eek:
Good one though some Riolis are private school boys, but that shows the social status does not define your ability to be a good citizen or a good footballer.
I was wondering whether Simmo was a private school boy. He might be just sarcastic about the whole situation.

Edit: Our great John Worsfold was from South Fremantle Senior High.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
On the lastest Duff and Qtrs pod, Mark Readings seemed pretty sure Jordan Clark wants to play for WC. He did say whether that's possible is another thing

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

I get what he means, but you can't tell me private school boys don't have problems, they're just more expensive ones.

Well to be fair almost all the decent footballers are pulled up into private schools on scholarships anyway. There's a reason these schools are football factories, it's not because all their parents are rich and happen to live in the area.

Last edited:

Yes it does, if they are taken in the first 20 then the QLD and NSW teams miss out, as they don't get the right to match, the only picks any Club get to match, in the first 20, are the Father Son prospects.

Relax Ethan Reagan isn't going in the first 20, we will be ok to draft him by matching a bid after pick 20.
If we deem him good enough at the appropriate spot in the draft that he is bid on, we can match and he will be ours.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good to see the rules have changed right when we might have a high academy prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back