LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss LCHF.

Don't want to throw out excuses, but living on my own I did it (and Keto) easily, but since moving in with my partner a couple years ago it went down the drain. It's easy for her, she can eat anything and doesn't usually have a big appetite, so if anything she has to work to maintain weight.

Me, I was 77kg before then, am now sitting around 91kg, as I lapsed into eating a bit of everything, and probably a little too much, as my life changed and was being all happy and excited moving into a new chapter of the relationship etc.

Comparing my body and feeling of health between the two, there's no doubt I had far greater mental clarity, faster healing, less joint pains, less bloating and of course effortless weight management on a LCHF lifestyle.

I'm just randomly musing here, I know it's on me for not being strong willed enough to continue my lifestyle once I wasn't on my own. But I'd love to get back to it someday soon.

I miss LCHF.

Don't want to throw out excuses, but living on my own I did it (and Keto) easily, but since moving in with my partner a couple years ago it went down the drain. It's easy for her, she can eat anything and doesn't usually have a big appetite, so if anything she has to work to maintain weight.

Me, I was 77kg before then, am now sitting around 91kg, as I lapsed into eating a bit of everything, and probably a little too much, as my life changed and was being all happy and excited moving into a new chapter of the relationship etc.

Comparing my body and feeling of health between the two, there's no doubt I had far greater mental clarity, faster healing, less joint pains, less bloating and of course effortless weight management on a LCHF lifestyle.

I'm just randomly musing here, I know it's on me for not being strong willed enough to continue my lifestyle once I wasn't on my own. But I'd love to get back to it someday soon.
Similar to me, I found it impossible to be LCHF while with my wife of 34 years(she did most of the cooking) although I did eat relatively healthily. I separated from my wife nearly 4 years ago now, quite simple when you only have yourself to worry about.

Note- The separation was not diet related.:D

I miss LCHF.

I know exactly what you mean, I recently did 2 weeks of high carb (still low sugar) and high protein diet with 3 meals a day as opposed to my usual 16/8 IF LCHF diet and my self control went out the window, thankfully I was able to ratchet up my activity level to cope with the extra calories but the change in my attitude towards food was absolutely remarkable. On LCHF I'm able to portion control and 'just say no' to treats with ease, throw carbs in the mix and I'm gorging left and right.

I know exactly what you mean, I recently did 2 weeks of high carb (still low sugar) and high protein diet with 3 meals a day as opposed to my usual 16/8 IF LCHF diet and my self control went out the window, thankfully I was able to ratchet up my activity level to cope with the extra calories but the change in my attitude towards food was absolutely remarkable. On LCHF I'm able to portion control and 'just say no' to treats with ease, throw carbs in the mix and I'm gorging left and right.
Yes exactly.

On LCHF or Keto, people used to marvel at my willpower and self control. I used to shrug that off, because I knew it wasn't just willpower. If I eat any decent amount of carbs, my willpower is suddenly non-existent.

Do you guys find on the LCHF/Keto and IF regime the stomach gets a bit rowdy? I've been getting right in to the lifestyle, including extended fasting and have had some great results but find that, particularly with the extended fasting, the stomach gets upset and also I get the backyard trots(even though I'm not eating). Is that normal?

I've stopped the extended fasting atm but was thinking maybe I was doing it too often?(was doing OMAD + an extended fast of between 48 and 72 hours every 10-14 days). Really enjoyed the extended fasts and would like to do more and some longer ones. Almost a bit addictive tbh.

Do you guys find on the LCHF/Keto and IF regime the stomach gets a bit rowdy? I've been getting right in to the lifestyle, including extended fasting and have had some great results but find that, particularly with the extended fasting, the stomach gets upset and also I get the backyard trots(even though I'm not eating). Is that normal?

I've stopped the extended fasting atm but was thinking maybe I was doing it too often?(was doing OMAD + an extended fast of between 48 and 72 hours every 10-14 days). Really enjoyed the extended fasts and would like to do more and some longer ones. Almost a bit addictive tbh.
I get the opposite problem and get constipated when strict keto and completing 24 hour fasts, after I realised the problem was a potassium deficiency I started taking a a teaspoon of cream of tartar every second night and that pretty much resolved those issues.

There might be a particular fat source your body doesn't agree with but I'm just purely speculating.

Do you drink coffee during your fast? It could be the culprit. Some people don't handle rendered fat very well but it is normally a fairly instant tap after eating rather than during fasting.

Do you drink coffee during your fast? It could be the culprit. Some people don't handle rendered fat very well but it is normally a fairly instant tap after eating rather than during fasting.

No coffee. Cheers for the responses lads. Will do some more experimenting(muahahahhh).

I find if I allow myself to get the tiniest bit dehydrated on keto it creates constipation. I need to make sure I drink at least 3 litres a day and I'm fine.

I find if I allow myself to get the tiniest bit dehydrated on keto it creates constipation. I need to make sure I drink at least 3 litres a day and I'm fine.
Just need to be careful you're getting enough electrolytes, because we don't have muscle or liver glycogen water consumption can exacerbate electrolyte deficiencies.

I miss LCHF.

I guess I'm lucky (for want of a better word) that I'm diabetic. For me it's either keto or go back to injecting insulin.

For what it’s worth my wife and I usually cook different meals at home. Extremely inefficient sure but it means I get to diet my preferred diet so I don’t care. She’ll occasional cook stuff I can eat, and I’d be more than happy to cook for her but she hates my cooking :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it’s worth my wife and I usually cook different meals at home. Extremely inefficient sure but it means I get to diet my preferred diet so I don’t care. She’ll occasional cook stuff I can eat, and I’d be more than happy to cook for her but she hates my cooking :)
Makes sense.

BTW mate, I was just checking out your blog. I think the 24 hour fast would be quite easy for me to do. Dinner is a big thing for my partner and the one meal we do always have together, but any other part of the day I could manage for myself, and just flat out fasting until dinner would work fine.

Might not always be LCHF exactly, yet, but I'm sure the benefits would still be there. My body spent a bit over 2 years as a pure fat burner so you'd think I have the metabolic machinery to still dip into a ketotic state once glycogen stores are depleted through exercise.

Makes sense.

BTW mate, I was just checking out your blog. I think the 24 hour fast would be quite easy for me to do. Dinner is a big thing for my partner and the one meal we do always have together, but any other part of the day I could manage for myself, and just flat out fasting until dinner would work fine.

Might not always be LCHF exactly, yet, but I'm sure the benefits would still be there. My body spent a bit over 2 years as a pure fat burner so you'd think I have the metabolic machinery to still dip into a ketotic state once glycogen stores are depleted through exercise.
In November last year I lost 5kg doing 5 days a week of one meal a day, no other calorie or macronutrient control (i.e. not keto) so very similar to what you're envisaging. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.

The 5kg came of with basically no exercise being completed either, purely as a result of the fasting/one meal a day protocol.

I'm obese so for weight loss I've been doing keto + OMAD + 72 hrs of water fasting per week for the last three months.

zero tummy problems during the fasting days but if I'm not careful breaking the fast I'd definitely get the trots.

I believe eating too much fats and protein suddenly causes the gallbladder to go abit bonkers and because its full of bile and cholesterol (from the 3 days of fasting).....its expelled quickly which can be embarrassing if you're caught in public.

It nothing too serious to worry about .....you just have to plan carefully on the day you start eating again (I definitely wouldn't break a fast on a work day)

I'm obese so for weight loss I've been doing keto + OMAD + 72 hrs of water fasting per week for the last three months.

zero tummy problems during the fasting days but if I'm not careful breaking the fast I'd definitely get the trots.

I believe eating too much fats and protein suddenly causes the gallbladder to go abit bonkers and because its full of bile and cholesterol (from the 3 days of fasting).....its expelled quickly which can be embarrassing if you're caught in public.

It nothing too serious to worry about .....you just have to plan carefully on the day you start eating again (I definitely wouldn't break a fast on a work day)

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. I probably should have mentioned that I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years ago - that's probably the culprit(using ox bile with meals, which helps). Am interested in extended fasting for the autophagy aspect(and that's when I'm getting the trots i.e. during the extended fasting window), but I think I may have pushed a bit too hard, too soon(idiot). Still continuing with the LCHF and IF in the meantime. Going to revisit the extended fasting, but I won't go so hard next time.

How are you finding your regime? That sounds pretty full on! Are you getting results with it?

Last edited:
How are you finding your regime? That sounds pretty full on! Are you getting results with it?

yeah pretty good results.

a constant 3kg a week so far (after the initial period of significant water loss) but still have a long way to go until I'm at a healthy weight.

the first week was horrible as the body got used to very low carbs. After the second week, hunger mostly disappeared and the extended fasting became pretty easy. I can watch my mates eating KFC or cooking shows on youtube now without succumbing to the urge.

I've done medically supervised Optifast a few years back and it had similar results at first but the protein bars and shakes were pretty horrible to eat after a month. (those choc bars were so dense it was like eating clay)

This regime suits me better as I can eat good tasting food when I break my fast. It cost alot less too..... only bout 40 bucks a week on food rather than 100 dollars plus.

Obese subjects following a 3 week ketogenic 700 calorie meal plan saw a 7% decrease in their fat mass while adding 4% of lean mass

fbeymfn.png

As well as Tom McDonald, Melbourne forward coach (ex tiger) Greg Stafford and another Melbourne official i don't know are also full carnivore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back