Preview Sydney Swans vs Fremantle Dockers, Sunday 12:30pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you really think the depth of quality is so good around the league that no other club would touch Ronke as soon as we delist him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok let me re-phrase. He won't kick 7 more goals for us.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I've been saying it for a few years.
The coaches love Reid & his versatility as a player. As a tall forwrs he also gives great defensive pressure once the ball hits the deck. He is capable of kicking 3 or 4 goals. He provides another marking target & when he plays, the smalls come into the game with multiple goals.
He is well drilled with what the coaches want & he can provide ruck relief & of course our pet hate, he can go back late in games to provide that spare man in defence when the moment is needed.
Amartey has time.
Thats how I see it anyway. I know I've heard opposition coaches mention that he is a hard match up.
Don’t disagree with a word but when was the last time Sam Reid kicked 3 or 4 goals in a game?

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Don’t disagree with a word but when was the last time Sam Reid kicked 3 or 4 goals in a game?
I’ll answer my own question. (I actually managed to negotiate a stats website.)

It was 2019.

He’s kicked bags of three or more 18 times in his 159 game career. Career average of just over a goal a game.

I hope that Dawson doesn't play defence this week.

I've really loved the set-up of speed & run out of defence (Blakey & McInerney) and composure and skill into forward 50 (Dawson & Gulden).
He might until Cunningham is back

I’ll answer my own question. (I actually managed to negotiate a stats website.)

It was 2019.

He’s kicked bags of three or more 18 times in his 159 game career. Career average of just over a goal a game.

But hey, that's his ceiling. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Fair point.
I did say " he is capable of kicking 3 or 4 goals". He has kicked 2.1 in 2 of his 6 games this year, while averaging 10 hitouts, meaning he is not always forward. As a comparison, Amartey has averaged about 8 hitouts this season.

If you did a ladder of all the young, rebuilding sides it would look something like:

1. Sydney
2. Essendon
3. Fremantle
4. St Kilda
5. Carlton
6. Gold Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn
9. North Melbourne

Our five remaining games are against these teams, so I hope we put an exclamation mark on how much better we are than them, starting with Freo this week :)

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
If you did a ladder of all the young, rebuilding sides it would look something like:

1. Sydney
2. Essendon
3. Fremantle
4. St Kilda
5. Carlton
6. Gold Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Hawthorn
9. North Melbourne

Our five remaining games are against these teams, so I hope we put an exclamation mark on how much better we are than them, starting with Freo this week :)
To stay on topic, I'll certainly agree that Freo are right up there with rebuilding sides. It's a good run home to judge where we're at against other teams trying to prove themselves and develop.

But as an aside, I feel like Brisbane get overlooked when discussing 'young' teams. And while these things have lots of hidden details, St Kilda is pretty "old".

1627004921402.png

To stay on topic, I'll certainly agree that Freo are right up there with rebuilding sides. It's a good run home to judge where we're at against other teams trying to prove themselves and develop.

But as an aside, I feel like Brisbane get overlooked when discussing 'young' teams. And while these things have lots of hidden details, St Kilda is pretty "old".

View attachment 1184319

Only reason I don't rate Brisbane as a young team is because they are incredibly reliant on their older players. Birchall (33), Zorko (32), Robinson (32), Rich (31), Lyons (29), Neale (28), Lester (28), Daniher (27), McCarthy (27), McInerney (27) and Cameron (27) are all regulars in their 22, so they are squarely in their premiership window now. You could argue we've put ourselves in a premiership window, though we had no right to yet!

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Only reason I don't rate Brisbane as a young team is because they are incredibly reliant on their older players. Birchall (33), Zorko (32), Robinson (32), Rich (31), Lyons (29), Neale (28), Lester (28), Daniher (27), McCarthy (27), McInerney (27) and Cameron (27) are all regulars in their 22, so they are squarely in their premiership window now. You could argue we've put ourselves in a premiership window, though we had no right to yet!
Sure, I don't think they are quite the same as us for example, but not to be discounted.

There's still plenty of players over 27 that are regulars/best 22 in our side as well (when fit).

Fox, Rampe, Lloyd, Reid, Buddy, Hickey, JPK, Parker, Cunningham

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

View attachment 1184319
Every time I see a table like that I get annoyed that they used the MEAN ie average age instead of the much more informative MEDIAN age. A few oldies like Buddy, JPK and Sinkers bump up the average age but have much less impact on the median. Rant over.

Sure, I don't think they are quite the same as us for example, but not to be discounted.

There's still plenty of players over 27 that are regulars/best 22 in our side as well (when fit).

That's very fair.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

The other aspect to that is what roles are they playing? I'm not familiar with the other teams but for instance Wicks is #1 for goals scored from his pressure acts, Gulden's pinpoint passes make a big difference and so on.
Other teams may be similar.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Why can't Reid play back? Bring Logan in to play forward.

So you are suggesting Reid play back instead of Dawson to replace Cunningham ? A 6ft 5 CHF to replace a small to mid size running defender? Also with same suggestion you want to put Reid back when before injured he was probably the catalyst linking the attacking offence that was so effective early on the way our ball movement was playing out. Seriously get over the obsession with McDonald he will get his chance. I have been one of Reid’s biggest critics but his effort and input has been rejuvenated and hence the team looked completely different to the one we have witnessed the last couple of years. If we are to play Finals and give a good account of ourselves Reid uninjured will have a huge say in it. McDonald May well do that in perhaps 3 years. Seasoned V rookie. No contest.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The other aspect to that is what roles are they playing? I'm not familiar with the other teams but for instance Wicks is #1 for goals scored from his pressure acts, Gulden's pinpoint passes make a big difference and so on.
Other teams may be similar.
Branching off topic a bit too much I fear, though I did kind of open this can of worms. IDK I don't watch heaps of Brisbane for example - but I feel like Andrews, Hipwood, Starcevich, McLuggage, Berry, Bailey, Rayner, Ah Chee, Payne who are all in or around best 22, some performing very key roles, plus a few promising recent draftees that haven't played yet or limited games (Robertson, Smith, Coleman(s)) - does bode well for them.

Swans by 38 (vs Dockers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back