Preview Changes: R19 vs The Port Western Hawkdog Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's tight be we need to be ruthless and decid if players can be part of our next flag.

Kelly
Frampton
Berg
Fogarty
ROC
Gallant
Davis
Lynch
Sloane
Mcpherson
Talia

We can't move them all on this year, but they'd want to get a move on in the next 12m

It’s a refresh, rebuild, rethink, regeneration and realignment all at once

Some serious thinking and solid decisions to make at the end of this year and next

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Relax people

RT clearly being rested, no point killing him when we’re not making finals

So Berg stays as a marking forward, I’m sure they’re hoping he rediscovers his late 2020 form but otherwise playing for his future

Frampton, Nicks has said he’s got a few weeks to show what he’s got in a new position down back after a decent SANFL game there. Yes, only one but with players out it’s worth a look. Clearly playing for his future

Rowe out, he needs a refresh, get involved more, another pre-season to see if he can move up a level

Mad Dog…what can we say, once in a while they drop him. Based on past experiences it won’t be for long, but small mercies people, small mercies…

Final 6 weeks of the year to see how much people want a spot next year and see what they can do

For a few, the last train is leaving the station
I hope himmelberg kick a bag of 8 this week and then next week and then the week after..might entice GC to make us an offer:handok:

Confused. Can you help?
Hawks have key fwds in Lewis (200cm or slightly taller), Ben McEvoy (200cm or slightly taller), Kossie (196cm), Tim O'Brien (193) all in one forwardline. With Reeves (211cm) to be resting down there.

Who will play on each?

Butts will take your best forward. Is that Kossie?

Frampton (lol) will match up on Lewis in his second ever game as a defender at any level

Doedee will be asked to play on someone at least 10cm taller than him. McEvoy it is.

Kelly will then be played on your least good and/or least experienced forward. Will rotate between O'Brien and Reeves

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Frampton. Wtf. Why?

Rowe managed? More like omitted. Not sure why clubs use managed when they are dropped. Just call it how it is.

Not sure why Sloane is still playing when he is injured and out of form.

Very uninspiring changes after 2 weeks of insipid football. The forward line is too tall as usual and Nick's is playing an almost identical team to the one he picked 12months ago. Hawks by 40 plus.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Certainly don't have to be happy that one of our worst players is getting a golden opportunity to leapfrog his way into an easier role after terrible performances in his main role.

It's the same selection path that's led to long, mediocre careers for the likes of Reilly, Mackay.

The way I look at it is that he’s not a failed KPD yet. All reports are that McAsey has had an underwhelming year following a hampered preseason and gut feel is that they see Worrell as more a 3rd tall, not KPD. To me, it’s a huge step forward that we’ve dropped a senior player and can argue the merits of which inexperienced guy should replace Murray.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
How about Hamill into the forward line to help with some defensive pressure. We have so many goals scored against us from the oppo's defensive 50. Compared to Jimmy, this would add something new up forward.

Defenders to pressure up forward doesn’t work unless they’re sitting on an opposition player. If you don’t have good forward craft and your focus isn’t on winning the ball then you’re not going to be where the contest is and be in a position to provide meaningful defensive pressure.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Rowey said he'd been dropped, not managed. Listed as managed on AFL site and early reports.
Dropped

Nicks tried to sugarcoat it in his selection interview which is where the mixed messaging comes from

Confused. Can you help?
Hawks have key fwds in Lewis (200cm or slightly taller), Ben McEvoy (200cm or slightly taller), Kossie (196cm), Tim O'Brien (193) all in one forwardline. With Reeves (211cm) to be resting down there.

Who will play on each?
All 5 there at the same time? Not sure if Clarko or Don Pyke...

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Yes, imo McAsey is the future but I doubt Frampton is.

We are meant to be in a rebuild...

Having said that, playing Frampton in defence we at least get to find out whether he can play this role.

Imo, we missed an opportunity to try Frampton & Strauchan as ruckman & rest ROB from his back injury.

We are meant to be in a rebuild....

I'm being really generous in thinking that the 2020 season was a write off, particularly for a lot of our 1st year players.

A lot of them seem to be developing well this year, or at least OK, including McAsey. We know that that KPP's take longer.

I think we will find out about a lot of players after this next preseason about whether they have the ability to go on at AFL level. McAsey seemed to have an interrupted preseason due to personal issues back home, so i'm hoping he puts the hard work in, puts on a bit of size along with Worrell and they come out firing next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dropped

Nicks tried to sugarcoat it in his selection interview which is where the mixed messaging comes from

Why do we even bother to do that? If he's dropped, he's dropped, it's a football club, players should be moving up and down regularly for varying reasons. Rowey didn't think him too delicate to blurt it out matter of factly on his radio show. Nicks lack of edge concerns me. I remember being shocked to hear Teague say that 'Mackay just isn't in our best 22 at the moment' and thinking how refreshing it was.

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You must be a little slow. Dropping Mackay and Rowe give us more chance of winning. Only argument is whether the extra week off for Thilthorpe makes us better this week or worse. That is a genuine point up for discussion. But dumping Dmac and Rowe, that's great news if you're after 4 points. If I bet, it'll be on us this week. Great selections for winning this week.
Nothing much changes. Still too tall. If they wanted to win thilthorpe would be playing instead of Himmelberg. The next few games is about working who’s off the list next season.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
So Mackay is dropped, which is great. But what was it about his performance last week that caused his omission? He's been identically mediocre for the past two months (actually 6yrs)
Yep... its definitely a very valid question that needs to be asked.

There was absolutely no diference in Mackay game last week when compared with 90% of his games in the last 4 years.. all the same bog average 14-17 mediocre possessions..

The real worry is that its obviously taken the buffoons running this club this long to recognise he is crap and needs to be ommitted.

Why is that?.

Archie87

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Mackay is dropped, which is great. But what was it about his performance last week that caused his omission? He's been identically mediocre for the past two months (actually 6yrs)

Exactly. The odd thing is that DMac got dropped after his highest possession count for about 6 weeks and every other stat was about on par for his season.

My guess is that we'll lose, blame Hamill and DMac comes back in for him next week.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly. The odd thing is that DMac got dropped after his highest possession count for about 6 weeks and every other stat was about on par for his season.

My guess is that we'll lose, blame Hamill and DMac comes back in for him next week.

I recall a couple of years back when DMac got dropped, supposedly because of form, then brought back in the week after. Despite the fact that our SANFL team had the bye that week, so he hadn't actually had a game there to show any improvement in his form.

Must have trained the goddamn house down that week.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mackay's been consistent, he's incredibly consistent. But that bar is so low it doesn't mean much at all.

He obviously meets all the KPIs required, which means the issue are the what's being asked of him rather than him.

It's just really strange that it's only Rd 19 of what is probably his final season that he's now on the outer.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hamill has been poor this year in all fairness.
But he's also 12yrs younger so should be persisted with.

Mackay isn't in the side for what he brings on the field. His output has been terrible for the past 4 years, and he has put in some really poor games and never been dropped. He has a bad record at the B&F.

No, Mackay is in the side for what he brings off field. He sets the standard on the training track, he knows the gameplan, he is a great bloke, he has the experience of what it's like to be an AFL player for over 200 games.

We have a very young side. We want all those off field components in our players. We want "experience" to complement our youth.

However, we've just been smashed two weeks in a row.

I hope what we've realized - and I believe this explains why Mackay has been dropped now despite no change in form - is that playing all our experience and rewarding these off field criteria doesn't necessarily improve us on game day. I think we thought that getting all these guys back (Walker, Murphy, Lynch, Crouch soon) in addition to all the other experience (Kelly, Mackay, Smith, Seedsman, etc.) would see us improve on the field.

"We just needed Walker back. We just needed a fit Lynch. We just needed Murphy back. We just need all our experience back and the improvement will come"

It hasn't, in fact we've been worse now with the most experience we've played in weeks than at the start of the season. So this assumption that experience is the answer can no longer be used as a justification to play off-field-only players like Mackay ahead of fit, acceptable form players like Sholl who are much younger

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Dropped

6DEEB96B-745A-453E-981D-941A7625456E.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back