QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah disagree Miller - QAFLW season has finished, she is coaching the State U17 boys team, provides her with a (limited) experience of coaching men and if nothing else helps a few more blokes recognise that a woman who knows her footy is no different to a bloke who knows his footy. Reckon its a great initiative. Good cry that many "initiatives" are just tokenism but that is more the case when nothing changes post the event.
Could argue indigenous round is just pure tokenism as well or Pride round but I'm sure these are significant events that help move locked on opinions. Or so history says anyway.
I say well done to Coorparoo footy club and particularly Barry.
QFA Div 1 footy is fine but when you're coaching a state side because you've played a few season of AFLW...... C'mon guys. You want the best available so the kids can reach potential... Not because the you want the coach in an AFL system. I don't think they'd allow Daisy Pearce to coach the Vic Metro team or Erin Philips to coach the SA team... and they're more advanced then Sam. that's just my opinion.

QFA Div 1 footy is fine but when you're coaching a state side because you've played a few season of AFLW...... C'mon guys. You want the best available so the kids can reach potential... Not because the you want the coach in an AFL system. I don't think they'd allow Daisy Pearce to coach the Vic Metro team or Erin Philips to coach the SA team... and they're more advanced then Sam. that's just my opinion.

Its not like she was working in a bubble DP - she would have had a lot of people around her (in fact a mate of mine involved with Lions academy was one of them) and tbh I'm not sure the best people actually do coach at that level anyway. It's not like there is any $$ on offer (in a big way). The state side played stuff all games in the end anyway. BTW what credentials does Erin Phillips have bc playing abilities don't necessarily transfer across. Daisy I understand bc she is obviously really astute from listening to ehr on the box but Phillips?

From all reports she is the best option.
Don't think someone like Mark Browning would hand out an opportunity after all the years he has put into the program.

Also with Erin & Daisy who would also be capable - getting more kicks on the field than someone does not make you a better coach haha
Fagan did not play AFL footy and he seems to hold his own against all the other coaches just fine.

Wow. In 2021 we're debating if women can coach or not.

Would we be having the discussion if the replacement was an up and coming male coach working their way through Academies + Assistant coaching and appears to have a thirst to learn and develop?
Are you forgetting how low the standard of footy is in the AFLW? Most players in QAFLW can’t kick a drop punt under pressure.

She can if that’s what Browning wants…. But she’s not going to help the 17 year olds.
The kids in the state side have probably played a higher level then her anyway… 🤣

Are you forgetting how low the standard of footy is in the AFLW? Most players in QAFLW can’t kick a drop punt under pressure.

She can if that’s what Browning wants…. But she’s not going to help the 17 year olds.
The kids in the state side have probably played a higher level then her anyway… 🤣

Yeah thats rubbish too DP.

It is so dumb to compare men and women in any sport. However from what I have seen from afar Virgo shows a passion to teach and inspire. Pretty good platform if you ask me

Wow. In 2021 we're debating if women can coach or not.

Would we be having the discussion if the replacement was an up and coming male coach working their way through Academies + Assistant coaching and appears to have a thirst to learn and develop?

Not at all. Debating whether a coach should be parachuted in for the sake of it during womens coaching month. As I said, if she can coach, then coach - appoint her to a position for a full season.

There are plenty of very very average Male coaches getting around in Div 1 and 2, and QAFL Reserves - I have no doubt at all she would be better than 50% of them!

It is so dumb to compare men and women in any sport. However from what I have seen from afar Virgo shows a passion to teach and inspire. Pretty good platform if you ask me

Ask 75% of young female footballers what they think of her. As I understand it, if you're a female player and for some reason Virgo doesn't like you, then you may as well move states. Definitely wields plenty of power in female footy, and doesn't always utilise that power in a way it should be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. Debating whether a coach should be parachuted in for the sake of it during womens coaching month. As I said, if she can coach, then coach - appoint her to a position for a full season.

There are plenty of very very average Male coaches getting around in Div 1 and 2, and QAFL Reserves - I have no doubt at all she would be better than 50% of them!

Ask 75% of young female footballers what they think of her. As I understand it, if you're a female player and for some reason Virgo doesn't like you, then you may as well move states. Definitely wields plenty of power in female footy, and doesn't always utilise that power in a way it should be
What I've found Miller is that when the senior coach is away for any given weekend game an assistant coach who has been involved during that year steps in for that game. How is this any different?

P

David Lake has taught her well

Wow what a round this one was! Beenleigh with another big win over Caloundra at Home, puts a massive dent in Caloundra’s top 2 aspirations. Beenleigh keep their slim finals hopes alive. Bottom of the table Aspley with an incredible win over top of the table Mayne! Don’t think anyone would’ve seen that coming at all. Uni had a massive second quarter over Springwood and looked like they were a chance by all reports, massive third quarter from the pumas though put them over the line comfortably though. Massive game next week with Springwood Vs Mayne, would imagine the winner is likely to finish on Top spot and get that home final. Then Coorparoo vs Caloundra in another massive game to see who may host the elimination final at this rate, with the loser likely going to be very nervous with Uni and Beenleigh not too far behind them. Even the Beenleigh vs Aspley game will be a cracker judging on today’s results. Looks like an absolutely great comp that is going to be tight right to the end.

Wow what a round this one was! Beenleigh with another big win over Caloundra at Home, puts a massive dent in Caloundra’s top 2 aspirations. Beenleigh keep their slim finals hopes alive. Bottom of the table Aspley with an incredible win over top of the table Mayne! Don’t think anyone would’ve seen that coming at all. Uni had a massive second quarter over Springwood and looked like they were a chance by all reports, massive third quarter from the pumas though put them over the line comfortably though. Massive game next week with Springwood Vs Mayne, would imagine the winner is likely to finish on Top spot and get that home final. Then Coorparoo vs Caloundra in another massive game to see who may host the elimination final at this rate, with the loser likely going to be very nervous with Uni and Beenleigh not too far behind them. Even the Beenleigh vs Aspley game will be a cracker judging on today’s results. Looks like an absolutely great comp that is going to be tight right to the end.
Great comp

I thought our Pumas might struggle considering we had three players out again due to injury and illness including Page whose record speaks for itself. At half time I was hopeful that we could play our brand of footy in the second half which we were not doing early, and credit to Uni they were not allowing us to do. A late goal by Proud in the second stanza gave us some life but the third quarter we obliterated Uni in the centre of the ground with HUNT, PROUD, KENEALLY, and KING dominating on the back of the ruck work by WILLI and Brighton Page. A seven goal to 1 quarter set the tone and I thing 36 shots at goal for the game really indicates how dominant we were especially after half time. Uni are a good side and they rallied at stages but the gap was too wide. I was not surprised that Beenleigh accounted for Caloundra at home especially as they easily beat them in the previous encounter. I am not sure whats happened at Caloundra they could have beaten us at home but the rub of the green went our way but last two weeks have obviously been disappointing for them. I nearly fell over when I heard that Aspley had accounted for Mayne and no disrespect to the Hornets but that was completely unexpected and again I know Mayne are missing some players including SCHMIDT and PERKINS but unsure if they will return this Season or not depending on severity of injuries, which I hear were nasty. Massive game at Lowe Oval against Mayne with a lot at stake and expecting a cracking game and one never knows we may finally see our best 22 for the first time this season which is going to prove a headache for selectors with the ins yesterday providing handy contributions.

Important game for Coops v Caloundra this weekend too.
All the games this weekend are very important and have big finals implications. Even the Beenleigh Vs Uni game, loser is gone from finals you’d think, winner still has a chance, especially if Coops go down against Caloundra.

Beenleigh right in the hunt - they have an extra game up sleeve over both UQ and Caloundra. Destiny in own hands - they win 3 of 4 they play finals I reckon. caloundra have Coops. Mayne, UQ. They will need to win at least 1. Thing is I suppose is that it seems any side can win on their day.

after rd17, Springwood is certainty for finals, Coops have Springwood (top side) and Beenleigh (1 game behind Coorparoo) have Aspley (bottom team) so are likely to take over Coorparoo, Uni have the bye so will likely fall further behind, Caloundra have Mayne, bye and Uni to finish so they will be most likely 4th as Coops have Aspley and Beenleigh in rd19-20 after Springwood, Coops most likely 3rd or 4th depends on Caloundra but Coops or Caloundra can get to 2nd if Mayne lose all their games, Caloundra could take over Mayne if they win this week, Beenleigh vs Coorparoo in rd19 will also decide which one makes finals as Coops have Aspley and Beenleigh has Mayne who are certainties as well. Uni and Aspley are just not going to make it.
Ladder at end (what i think it will be at the end of the season)
1-Springwood
2-Mayne
3-Coorparoo
4-Caloundra
5-Beenleigh
6-UQ
7-Aspley

after rd17, Springwood is certainty for finals, Coops have Springwood (top side) and Beenleigh (1 game behind Coorparoo) have Aspley (bottom team) so are likely to take over Coorparoo, Uni have the bye so will likely fall further behind, Caloundra have Mayne, bye and Uni to finish so they will be most likely 4th as Coops have Aspley and Beenleigh in rd19-20 after Springwood, Coops most likely 3rd or 4th depends on Caloundra but Coops or Caloundra can get to 2nd if Mayne lose all their games, Caloundra could take over Mayne if they win this week, Beenleigh vs Coorparoo in rd19 will also decide which one makes finals as Coops have Aspley and Beenleigh has Mayne who are certainties as well. Uni and Aspley are just not going to make it.
Ladder at end (what i think it will be at the end of the season)
1-Springwood
2-Mayne
3-Coorparoo
4-Caloundra
5-Beenleigh
6-UQ
7-Aspley
Well round 18 won’t happen either due to the lockdown, takes out this round of games as well. Just leaves from round 19 onwards assuming this lockdown ends when planned and then the ongoing restrictions will allow games to be played. Suspect Springwood will account for Aspley in round 19 then finish with a bye in round 20. Mayne will have UQ & Beenleigh which are both by no means easy games, especially seeing as Mayne lost to Aspley. Caloundra with the Bye and then @ Uni, Uni accounted for them last time quite comfortably they played so by no means a certainty there either. Then Coorparoo with Beenleigh and Aspley to finish likely gets them to fill out the top 4 with Beenleigh and UQ just missing out I’d imagine. Believe the ladder will finish something like this.

1- Springwood
2- Mayne
3- Coorparoo
4- Caloundra
5- Beenleigh
6- Uni
7- Aspley

the 2 points for a draw due to the Covid situation is a big help for some teams and hurts others big time as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back