Prediction Changes vs Dees round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally we get to multiball !!!!

it was always the answer....

Classic footy training drill. 2 teams and the winner is the first one to move the ball all the way up to kick a goal without the ball hitting the ground.

Chaos ensues

Better yet.. get our players up the ground to not just bang it in and actually kick to our forwards advantage

If this happens consistently no one gets near us.

With the forwards we have at the moment it still boggles the mind that more often than not we kick into the F50 with too much hang time on the ball and towards the boundary pocket like we’re trying to defend instead of attack.

I don't my post pregame often as most of my thoughts have already been covered in the lead up to the games, on this occasion however the reactions of the board are missing some key points.
- I don't see Shache, or any other of our tall forwards playing back. The only exception to this is if Naughton drifts back as he does from time to time over the years to support the defence as we hold onto a lead late in a game. Melbourne play 2KPF of middling talent in Brown and McDonald but either can tear you up on their day. 2 extremely dangerous General Forwards in Fritsch and Neal-Bullen and two smalls with tricks in Pickett and Spargo as well as Harmes playing a mid forward role, with Gawn and Jackson capable as operating as forward threats depending on the phase of the game. Our zone defence is capable of dealing with this, and will be further effective with support from our mids to limit fast ball movement into their f50 and wingers to push back defensively hard.
-Gawn and Jackson are the best ruck combo in the comp and English has a big role to play. If it is wet, more stoppages are likely and our structure would allow our talls to rotate, to maintain 3 talls on field forward, English as first ruck with support from Bruce or Shache, with one on the bench.
Structurally, this setup appears to be Bev's preferred setup this year as evidence by the early rounds when the list was fit. It is only the emergence of JUH last week that makes him undroppable this week and therefore the overall balance seemingly too tall. This perceived imbalance will continue to occur whenever JUH plays, as Bruce and Naughton are locks and our preferred setup this year is one lead ruck and one ruck/kpf. It is the personal that has people concerned, which I understand as it is a lesser calibre of talent/effectiveness, but the team would remain structurally similar if you swapped Shache for Martin, Hannan for Dunkley, Roarke for Treloar.
- Allowing 3 talls on field at all times mitigates one of Melbourne's key strengths. Melbourne play 3Kpd in May Lever and Petty. Two big general defenders in Hibberd and Rivers and two runners/distributors in Salem and Hunt.
If the gamestyle is played predominantly with long kicks down the line and long bombs inside f50, our structure means that we would have 2 legitimate KPF competing at all times. This allows us an opportunity to mitigate their intercepting game but our talls will still need to execute their role to a high standard as the Melbourne interceptors are exceptional.
- Pickett occasionally starts centre bounces in the centre. If he does, after the immideate clearance contest he pushes forward and switches with Harmes who comes up to the midfield. Our backs must be diligent and alert to the switch.
-Brayshaw and Langdon are extremely effective wingers, they hold their positions well and will cut us up with their respective qualities of allowed to accumulate outside linking up ball.
- we commonly move one of our mid size forwards up to the midfield to play as an extra number at the contest. If we implement this the midfield group must work extremely hard to represent at the ball drop of our forward half contests. Playing tall forward of the ball and bring it to ground means our smalls forwards will be outnumbered and need support.
-I do not anticipate Bont to rest forward as much as usual due to our additional tall forward as well as the quality of Melbourne's starting onballers. Oliver Petracca and Viney matchup well vs Bont Macrae and Liber and the additional 10% Bont spends onball might be the difference of a win or loss.

I have it on good authority that Schache was named specifically to carry Daniel on his shoulders. Both will line up at centre halfback and provide that read-the-play marking interceptor we've been desperate for in the back line.
That might take away one of Daniel's greatest assets. He's good below the knees.

I think he has a future, though thought he was very quiet against the Suns and what he did do had limited impact.
I'm curious to know why you thought he was 'excellent.' His stats below ... perhaps moot point as MC have made their call.
As we all know, sometimes stats matter sometimes they don’t. Depends on what the match committee is asking of him. Still, statistically it was his 3rd best game for the club and his stats were better than Garcia’s (who I also thought was very good) . I assume he is in for pressure and speed, similar to Garcia and visually I thought he ticked these boxes well and truly. If he has been replaced by Hannan, who visually on tv and at the ground doesn’t seem to get near it then clearly there are some other KPIs that Bevo is looking for. Could also be about the run into finals. McNeil had a bunch of statistically worse games earlier in the season but kept his spot when Hannan was underdone.

I'm not sure why you are quoting me, as your post does not address what I was responding to. Very few posters on here claim that Beveridge is outcoached every time we lose and I'm certainly not one of them. I was responding to a poster who was calling anyone a moron who in any way ever disagreed with the coach.

Just as you get frustrated by those who you think constantly carp about the coach, I get frustrated by the Beveridge fanbois who will tolerate no discussion that is remotely critical of anything the coach does, or decisions he makes.

Both groups are the minority and we shouldn't let them dominate or spoil the conversation on here.
I tolerate discussion but comments such as Bevo plays favourites is not analysis and deserves a response in kind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about it the more I'm ok with selecting the 4 tall forwards. If you take into consideration 2nd ruck duties and interchange time it means that we should have the 3 tall forwards on the park at all times. Obviously to counter May and Lever and that JUH can't really run out more than 60-70% game time its one I'm reasonably positive about.

The hannan selection is baffling though. Surely you pick another pacey forward to shut down space.

The more I think about it the more I'm ok with selecting the 4 tall forwards. If you take into consideration 2nd ruck duties and interchange time it means that we should have the 3 tall forwards on the park at all times. Obviously to counter May and Lever and that JUH can't really run out more than 60-70% game time its one I'm reasonably positive about.

The hannan selection is baffling though. Surely you pick another pacey forward to shut down space.
I would've been happy to see McNeil stay in and Hannan stay out, but where's the fun in that? Us masochistic Bulldogs fans live for the team selection melts

I said nothing Bevo does at selection table would surprise then he selects Libba. :)

To posters who hated this post it was a joke the Libba reference another way of saying I thought nothing Bevo does at selection surprises me but Hannan and Schache inclusions together left me gobsmacked.

I don't think Hannan will spend a lot of time forward. We've already got Weightman, JJ and Garcia playing good roles down there

He'll largely play wing, as McNeil did last week. McNeil didn't do terrible but failed to stick a couple of tackles and wasn't physically strong enough for a couple of contests.

Ever since Treloar went down, we've really struggled with the 2nd wing. McNeil, Hannan, Lipinski, Roarke, Butler and Scott have all had shots and been average at best.

It's Hannans turn again, he's been disappointing but the cupboard is bare and at least he covers ground and is a bit stronger than McNeil against a pretty robust Melbourne midfield (I like McNeil but he needs another preseason or 2 before taking on midfield roles).

The sooner Treloar gets back the better though.

Last edited:
After listening to Bevo's presser today the extra tall is a very much a change specifically for the Melbourne matchup and not necessarily something we may see beyond this week.

Bit annoyed no-one asked the question of is Schache going to spend anytime down back, seems like an obvious questions. A lot better than "Happy to have Libba back?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back