Prediction Changes vs Dees round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any evidence whatsoever of Schache playing down back in terms of training, on field, media reporting or coaches comments other than wishful thinking? (Other than one quarter down back which imo was as much as to protect a lead against the wind in a game as a tactical ploy, than any long-term desire to see Schache become a defender)

I don't think Hannan will spend a lot of time forward. We've already got Weightman, JJ and Garcia playing good roles down there

He'll largely play wing, as McNeil did last week. McNeil didn't do terrible but failed to stick a couple of tackles and wasn't physically strong enough for a couple of contests.

Ever since Treloar went down, we've really struggled with the 2nd wing. McNeil, Hannan, Lipinski, Roarke, Butler and Scott have all had shots and been average at best.

It's Hannans turn again, he's been disappointing but the cupboard is bare and at least he covers ground and is a bit stronger than McNeil against a pretty robust Melbourne midfield (I like McNeil but he needs another preseason or 2 before taking on midfield roles).

The sooner Treloar gets back the better though.

Agree with this. McNeil's done well for someone in his first season and we have a lot to look forward to in the future. But he missed some tackles and failed to compete aerially when he had to on the weekend. He's not winning enough of the ball for a winger also.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Hannan is the better player right now. Mainly because he's much more seasoned.

Neither should be in the best 22 though.

After listening to Bevo's presser today the extra tall is a very much a change specifically for the Melbourne matchup and not necessarily something we may see beyond this week.

Bit annoyed no-one asked the question of is Schache going to spend anytime down back, seems like an obvious questions. A lot better than "Happy to have Libba back?"
One of the more uninspired press conferences you will ever see by both a press core and a coach.

This weeks changes have been sponsored by BigFooty.com.au Chief how much did you pay Beveridge?
Funded by the revolting ads that pop up on these pages? Pets with vomiting and diarrhoea, graphic ear wax removal, and some dead woman. Send the money back, Bevo.

Schache doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. I don't think the coaches are silly enough to even try it.
Did you think Bailey Dale did? Bruce may be the one to play back and Schache is in the forward line. Whatever happens hope that he gets more than the 58% game time last time and plays like he did against the hawks at the G.

Liam Jones was awful at a KPD for 2 years before he came good.
Even if Schache is a failure as a key back tomorrow, doesn’t mean that’s the end of the experiment.

I think we should give Schache a go in the backline. He is elite by foot, a good decision maker, has an excellent tank. He is not soft but does lack the intensity required at times. Far easier to play as a key defender than a key forward. Many failed forwards have become great defenders. He should have been trialed for 4-5 games on the VFL as there is nothing to lose. i have no doubt he will play ruck on Saturday night but unsure where else he plays

Did you think Bailey Dale did? Bruce may be the one to play back and Schache is in the forward line. Whatever happens hope that he gets more than the 58% game time last time and plays like he did against the hawks at the G.

Yes I think Dale did. His first season against Port Adelaide I remember commenting about his defensive game. Even though he had a body of a 12 year, his chase and tackle pressure was good. I've never seen that with Schache and/or seen him going at that level of intensity.

In any case, please answer this question. How can we carry another defensively poor player in our backline?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I think Dale did. His first season against Port Adelaide I remember commenting about his defensive game. Even though he had a body of a 12 year, his chase and tackle pressure was good. I've never seen that with Schache and/or seen him going at that level of intensity.

In any case, please answer this question. How can we carry another defensively poor player in our backline?
Well I wouldn't know how good Bruce was when he was playing in the backline earlier in his career but maybe he will be able to do better with experience and fill a need against tall forwards.

Didn't suggest that Schache would be back this week but if he is on the list next year, why not try him for the role over the preseason and see if he is capable of filling a role? Ballantyne, Campbell, Jones - plenty of guys who have made the move to defence,

Some have doubted the wisdom of trying out a new idea when it's Melbourne we are playing but I think it's the perfect time.

We probably had it pencilled in as a 50/50 chance. If the experiments work (whatever they are) and we win the game that's four points we bank, we go top of the ladder and we then have a proven way of overcoming Melbourne's strengths. That would equip us well for the finals.

If the experiment fails then surely it's better to know now than to discover it in the QF... or worse still, the PF?

If we didn't experiment at all how do we ever improve from the experience of being beaten by Melbourne last time? They would just rinse and repeat, including in the finals.

If on the other hand we were to hold the experiment over for say the Adelaide or Essendon game and it failed badly that's a lost game that we had probably counted as a 90/10 or 80/20 chance of winning. Much worse for our final ladder position. Also it might work just fine against Adelaide but fail against a finals side.

Of course all this is premised on the experiments (whatever they are) being plausible things to try, on face value. Not some crackpot long-shot ideas after MC had shared a few numbers.

And it's still entirely possible that there is no experiment at all, as I posted earlier. Schache is just in as a replacement for whoever is the late withdrawal.

Last edited:
Is there any evidence whatsoever of Schache playing down back in terms of training, on field, media reporting or coaches comments other than wishful thinking? (Other than one quarter down back which imo was as much as to protect a lead against the wind in a game as a tactical ploy, than any long-term desire to see Schache become a defender)

He's had a couple of quarters there in a couple of VFL games, which is more time back than Naughton or Bruce this year so that's why I assume he will be playing there.

I think he will play the role Lewis Young had against Sydney, which was second ruck and defence and even drifted forward.

Last edited:
Some have doubted the wisdom of trying out a new idea when it's Melbourne we are playing but I think it's the perfect time.

We probably had it pencilled in as a 50/50 chance. If the experiments work (whatever they are) and we win the game that's four points we bank, we go top of the ladder and we then have a proven way of overcoming Melbourne's strengths. That would equip us well for the finals.

If the experiment fails then surely it's better to know now than to discover it in the QF... or worse still, the PF?

If we didn't experiment at all how do we ever improve from the experience of being beaten by Melbourne last time? They would just rinse and repeat, including in the finals.

If on the other hand we were to hold the experiment over for say the Adelaide or Essendon game and it failed badly that's a lost game that we had probably counted as a 90/10 or 80/20 chance of winning. Much worse for our final ladder position.

Of course all this is premised on the experiments (whatever they are) being plausible things to try, on face value. Not some crackpot long-shot ideas after MC had shared a few numbers.

And then if we first try experimenting against Adelaide or Essendon and we win, how we we really know if it works or not? These are games we could win on bad gameplans just through talent. This way we know for sure if it holds up against the best.

The inclusion of Schache clearly is a mechanism to try and counter the influence of May and Lever and allow us to have 3 talls forward at all times. JUH will still be on limited minutes and Schache's inclusion means English doesn't need to spend any time forward and can concentrate on the ruck, resting on the bench. The extra tall also allows us to drop a tall back if the defence are getting beat in the air or we need to defend a lead.

Regardless of injuries we are a very good side and a massive chance if we get it all right. Last time our turnovers directly gave Mebourne 5 goals in the first 1/4, we broke even the rest of the game. Worth a try while we still have so much quality out.

If Treloar, Martin, Wood, Dunks and even Vandermeer and gardner come back in over the next few weeks, our team will change significantly and we will be focussed on integrating those guys, rather than experimenting with potential lineup options.

As much as I really don't like the changes this week, this is probably the best chance that we have to experiment before having to reintroduce the other players.

Let's see how it goes tomorrow night I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Everyone knows my opinion of Dale but Dales issues were his inability to find space forward or makes leads unless there was a completely open area and therefore he just took up space. He didn’t want body contact but didn’t pull out when there was some.

Schache actively looks around to see who is there and will not stand in space or put his body on the line to get the footy. He will jump from behind but only when he believes he knows where everyone else is. I cannot see him standing in holes in the backline or putting his body on the line to win the footy. He is also a fairly average one on one mark. You cannot play in the backline of you are “timid”. If he plays backline whoever is on him will kill us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back