Review Port beats Pies - 2021 R19

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to confirm umpires aren't affect by the crowd.

Thought they were consistent in leaving me bewildered as to what they were/ weren't calling.

Not complaining we got more than usual, got a few against us but some of those calls both ways just had me shaking my head.
i would take no crowd afl umpiring any day of the week over crowd influenced umpiring. yes, the umps made a few howlers but i thought they did an ok job overall. 2x pushes in back against dixon not paid, one strange gaol line review with roden declaring a gaol. clear mark to burgess not paid. 2 or 3 to woods that i couldnt see but overall ok. certainly better umpiring than we get interstate with a big crowd and certainly better umpiring then we got 3 or 4 weeks after wearing ports wharfy guernsey against collingwood earlier this season. and certainly better protection for dixon tonight. i have noticed in the last 3 weeks or so the umps calling the 10m chippy passes as too short and calling hanging on in marking contests which favours us with dixon.
i thought houston had a great game, bonner was good too moving the ball into the fifty.
marshall excellent in the 2nd. dixon clumsy but dominant.
early we got stung with midfield turnovers.

The Quadrangle of Doom worked well tonight - not perfect but well. Dixon 4, Marshall 3, Ladhams 2 and Georgiades 0. Ive said I want to see how it goes in the dry and no better than under the roof to test it. Marshall and Ladhams up on last week, Georgi down.

If we play GWS under the roof next week keep the Quadrangle. s**t might even play the crows there if they adjust the Fixture so keep if for them too.

If it actually were, we would be fine.

There’s nothing wrong with long passes onto open spaces, crosses exploring mismatches, quick triangulations, overlappings, etc. Quite the contrary, actually.

Our offense is simply not good enough.

Spoken like someone who understands calcio 😁

Forget to mention dummy runs that open space for your team-mates to exploit

Marshall would have 40 extra goals and 5 kgs more upper body muscle if he was at Geelong or Richmond
marshall would have 40 plus goals if he played undercover every week. fair dinkum he is a fine weather player. good conditions and he can show his class and dominate patches of the game.

Spoken like someone who understands calcio 😁

Forget to mention dummy runs that open space for your team-mates to exploit
I’ve left plenty of stuff unsaid, I know. That’s why I wrote “etc.” 😉

Calcio, soccer, futebol, football… I may not play it well, but I was born into it! 🙂

Only the fact that that Boak played his 250th in 2019.
oic, like I said I'm hammered and flying.

just wanted to acknowledge Boaky as a player I've loved watching over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Quadrangle of Doom worked well tonight - not perfect but well. Dixon 4, Marshall 3, Ladhams 2 and Georgiades 0. Ive said I want to see how it goes in the dry and no better than under the roof to test it. Marshall and Ladhams up on last week, Georgi down.

If we play GWS under the roof next week keep the Quadrangle. sh*t might even play the crows there if they adjust the Fixture so keep if for them too.

Is it something we should be experimenting with at this stage of the year? I think if we experiment with it we go with it until the end of the year unless it goes really badly the next 4 weeks.

We need to be building chemistry going into finals so im not sure changing our forward structure between the quadrangle, 2 KPF 2 ruck or 3 KPF 1 ruck is the best thing for that. By all means change personnel week to week but it is getting to a point where we need to settle on our structure heading into the business end of the season imo.

I think we might just click come finals...

I see a lot of positives.

brought back 3 important players, I believe you played back in the day so you’d know better than most, 5 games to find touch would be nice.

were transitioning back to our forward press defence rather than sit deep.

definitely more effort to run and carry with the ball and break the lines.

our tall forward we’re hit up perfectly and they all contributed.

I think we are building. Woodcock for Fanta would be perfect

considering this weeks turmoil, I can understand some flatness. I feel we can shock teams come finals. We just have to snag that week one finals win and it flips quick. I’m keep to take in Melbourne.

Played like millionaires, perhaps by design. There seemed to be a focus on taking a mark, then giving to the run from behind, which is refreshing and contributed to the scoring, but it was also dangerous in that it opened the game up and exposed the defence to man-on-man contests. The most alarming aspect of the game was how often we failed those contests, against an inexperienced team.

However, we got to see some of the best attacking football for many weeks, and with some tweaking, it showcased a style that can take us further than looked possible in the last month or two. Bonner should always play in the seam between wing and half-forward; Houston is lethal as well; Amon had the showboating shoes on and Burton showed confidence in several rebounding dashes.

Jonas , McKenzie and Aliir couldn't get organised in defence. McKenzie was a poor match for the small full forward, whether it was Elliott or DeGoey. Aliir got pantsed by the resting rucks in several contests as they led at the ball. And Jonas was beaten by Mihocek. We just have to make sure that the rebound and run from behind of the medium defenders is balanced with some measure of responsibility for their opponents, and Houston and Bonner in particular paid scant regard to theirs.

Otherwise, the midfield started slowly, and looked alarmingly flat and unwilling to work hard early. The injury to Pendlebury saved their bacon, as did a rocket at quarter time by Voss and Schofield. They started to hunt the ball after this, and overwhelmed their opponents with bigger bodies and cleaner skills. Wines grew into the game, Drew had his best game at the level, and Boak was Boak. Lycett also lifted, and the combo with Ladhams eventually overwhelmed Grundy.

The four-headed monster up forward was the most pleasing aspect of the game. I doubt if is a sustainable strategy, and expect that one of them plus Woodcock are heading for disappointment, but tonight, it worked. 9 goals could easily have been 13 or 14. Dixon looks battered and exhausted, he probably needs a week off, Marshall played with presence and authority that he doesn't always show and Ladhams took several strong marks. Georgi had a downer, but as an inexperienced player he is still searching for consistency. The small forwards were disappointing - Rozee operates on a different plane to others, and moves and thinks too fast for his team-mates sometimes. Woodcock was ok, but is marking time until Orazio and Robbie return. SPP needs to add some polish to his pounding, and Butters took a long time to adjust to the pace (but will get there!)

I'm not going to rate them individually, there were no awful or outstanding performances, just a solid team effort and a game where they seemed to try to have a little fun. Four points, no injuries and honouring the legend that is Trav was a satisfying result, and keeps us firmly planted in the top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back