Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet people get upset when draftees get talked up and they don't end up being the next Chris Judd (e.g. Muston). Draft reviewers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Good on them for doing their research and putting their opinions out there for discussion. I'd suggest that Day is as close to Simpson at this stage as he is to Whitfield or Pendlebury. He's 10ish games in FFS. If he can become a 200+ game player, then we can talk about him being as good as Simpson, let alone the others.
Day moves and plays more like Whitfield and nothing like Simpson. They don’t even kick on the same foot. It is not a judgement on ability or talent just characteristic traits.

And yet people get upset when draftees get talked up and they don't end up being the next Chris Judd (e.g. Muston). Draft reviewers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Good on them for doing their research and putting their opinions out there for discussion. I'd suggest that Day is as close to Simpson at this stage as he is to Whitfield or Pendlebury. He's 10ish games in FFS. If he can become a 200+ game player, then we can talk about him being as good as Simpson, let alone the others.
Spot on. Every fan of every club likes to think their most recent draftee or most promising youngster will be the next top 5 player in comp. Most of them don't go close to that. Comparing a young half back flanker to a bloody good half back flanker who played nearly 350 games is hardly an insult. And plus it's one person's opinion. I personally think Day's talent ceiling is higher than that and prefer the Whitfield comparison, but that ceiling requires him to develop his game in other parts of the ground which he is yet to do. We can only hope he has Simpson's durability, that's for sure.

Its good when after 3 games you don't have to worry if your draftee will make it or not.

Cyril, Day, DGB.
Throw Bramble in too. Newcombe promising.

Early call, I reckon he could make it as a defender or a forward. Is it worth more to us to develop him into a Gunston replacement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early call, I reckon he could make it as a defender or a forward. Is it worth more to us to develop him into a Gunston replacement?
Will Day better as a Gunston replacement for mine - covers the ground better.

I agree that DGB could make it as a forward though. More likely to take some of those marks that Timmy can't quite hold.

Will Day better as a Gunston replacement for mine - covers the ground better.

I agree that DGB could make it as a forward though. More likely to take some of those marks that Timmy can't quite hold.

Good point.

This is perhaps a bit disrespectful to intercept markers, but it seems to me that it's harder to find a marking forward than an intercept marker. I wonder if it is of more value to us to develop him as a forward. Big call right now, suppose we should give him a few games to develop as a defender first?!

Good point.

This is perhaps a bit disrespectful to intercept markers, but it seems to me that it's harder to find a marking forward than an intercept marker. I wonder if it is of more value to us to develop him as a forward. Big call right now, suppose we should give him a few games to develop as a defender first?!
Right now, we need KPD (probs 2), so I'm happy we continue with him in defence - especially when we have Lewis, Jeka, Kosi & Callow learning to play KPF - adding a 5th young buck to that stable is just going to reduce opportunities between the 4 we already have.

In saying that, DGB is 19 - no problem giving him 18 months as a KPD then swinging him forward for 10 mins a game when he's 21. He sometimes played forward as a junior (& was a jet in the midfield) so he's got the tools - I just think we give him an 18-24 month runway as a KPD before we start seriously playing him elsewhere - especially when we need KPD.

No doubt in saying he could be a forward, but he's too good as a defender, reads it so god damn well and when he gets more size he's a taller Josh Gibson. CHB for the next decade.

Except for the other obvious comparisons that I pointed out.

I'm not sure who I'd liken Day to, but I can see why has used Simpson as a comparison.
I get where you're coming from but at the same age Simpson couldn't get a kick. Day is also elite on both feet and just knows how to get through traffic without being touched.

His ceiling is much much higher than a quality half back which is the point IMO.

Something really special about him and he hasn't even touched the surface

I get where you're coming from but at the same age Simpson couldn't get a kick. Day is also elite on both feet and just knows how to get through traffic without being touched.

His ceiling is much much higher than a quality half back which is the point IMO.

Something really special about him and he hasn't even touched the surface
Probs shouldn't go on much from here but i agree. His talent levels exceed anything Simpson could.
The skills on both feet, his ability in the air, his composure, time and space is Pendles like, traffic work without getting touched and finding the best option possible. Really good speed etc and is at a nice height.

He honestly could be that Pendles like midfielder.

Probs shouldn't go on much from here but i agree. His talent levels exceed anything Simpson could.
The skills on both feet, his ability in the air, his composure, time and space is Pendles like, traffic work without getting touched and finding the best option possible. Really good speed etc and is at a nice height.

He honestly could be that Pendles like midfielder.
He certainly seems to have more time than anyone around him, but was he a talented basketballer as a junior?

He certainly seems to have more time than anyone around him, but was he a talented basketballer as a junior?
I think I heard he has a rugby league background. You can tell by just looking at him.

DGB is lacking a far bit of size and core strength to play as a kpd - probably a few years off at least which means he’s going to be a 3rd tall/utility type down back - which is fine given his speed can play on smaller types. But we’re not short of guys who can play as 3rd tall / intercepting role esp with Sicily back next year

I do think he could be a real handful as a 3rd tall up forward with his aerial ability, height and movement. And is not short of confidence or courage. Would be interesting to see how he goes up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back