Review Round 19 vs Brisbane @ The GABBA (24.07.2021 @ 3:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield can’t compete when a ruckman like Big-O can get 40 hit outs and 11 clearances himself. It’s amazing we were winning at half-time, tbh, but then he just took over the game and there was nothing Burgess could do and their midfield ran out the game.

We are playing kids in the mids against men: Rowell; Anderson; Flanders. All could do with a rest I think. Sharp is the only young kid who looks up to scratch right now.
When the heat was on we were too slow out of the middle and Atkins didn’t do what Ellis or Markov would do for us. We kicked to bad options and our confidence was shot with each goalless minute.

Brisbane are better. Our second half was also woeful. Both statements were true so you get a result like that. Frustrating. Very, very frustrating.

Few boys in the VFL should get a look in next week.

Touk, Swallow, Flanders, Fiorini + Brodie might actually get to play as a mid rather than at half forward
I'm not disagreeing, it's just that midfield rotation you've named might actually look like their going backwards they're so slow...and they won't run out an entire match
Props to Brayden Fiorini today -just kept at it
Rankine sadly-because I love his style- is the player who is at the top of my list for some VFL time
The difference between Izak and Connor Rozee-wow
Not sure sending Rowell or Anderson back to VFL will sharpen them up in anyway for their job-although maybe just let them get leather poisoning for a game or two

Fiorini had 37 today but I thought he was hugely ineffective, so he isn't the answer, maybe a run of games for Brodie but bet that doesn't happen either
I think your bias is showing.BF was good all day.41 disposals btw which is probably close to the Club record.The team scored 1.4 in the last half.The whole team was ineffective.

I think your bias is showing.BF was good all day.41 disposals btw which is probably close to the Club record.The team scored 1.4 in the last half.The whole team was ineffective.
Only 250 metres gained and 6 score involvements, alot of sideways kicks or hack kicks forward. He can find the ball no doubt and is working harder without the baller which has been pleasing but I don't think he is doing enough with it. He doesn't have the footskills to take off an aggressive kick so plays it safe and too predictable by foot.
Sharp on the other hand might make more mistakes but tries to get the ball moving quickly and tries to get this aggressive kicks going. Just want to see a bit of fire in Brayden's belly because I don't see that from him

Only 250 metres gained and 6 score involvements, alot of sideways kicks or hack kicks forward. He can find the ball no doubt and is working harder without the baller which has been pleasing but I don't think he is doing enough with it. He doesn't have the footskills to take off an aggressive kick so plays it safe and too predictable by foot.
Sharp on the other hand might make more mistakes but tries to get the ball moving quickly and tries to get this aggressive kicks going. Just want to see a bit of fire in Brayden's belly because I don't see that from him
All reasonable comments
But I would never expect him to gain more than 3 or 400m.That's not his game.If I'm Sharp Lukosius Sexton Rankine Ellis Markov Weller I'm sweating off the back of him because he is in rugby terms a 5/8th passing off the ball.There has to be a place for the guy in the team.Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow with exactly the same playing style

All reasonable comments
But I would never expect him to gain more than 3 or 400m.That's not his game.If I'm Sharp Lukosius Sexton Rankine Ellis Markov Weller I'm sweating off the back of him because he is in rugby terms a 5/8th passing off the ball.There has to be a place for the guy in the team.Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow with exactly the same playing style
Tom Mitchell is a much cleaner user of the footy then Brayden though, or at least a better decision maker, that's where the differences is. Brayden isn't going to win the contested ball ie Touk, Rowell, he is the clearing hands out of the pack but he just makes some silly mistakes. Not trying to single him out as the whole team made poor mistake after poor mistake but for someone that can get the ball 41 times there needs to be better decisions made with that ball. His disposal efficiency looks okay because he kicks it long down the line which is a effective kick or sideways alot but in and around the pack he missed to many easy Handballs, although Touk did a lot of it today as well.
Im just frustrated with the level of talent in this squad that effort and simple skill execution is STILL a problem

The lack of back up ruck option hurts us and it was a matter of time before we were greatly exposed. Didn’t look like we were at half time but wow hats off to Big O he had a terrific second half. It’s Witts then daylight on our list.

Tom Mitchell is a much cleaner user of the footy then Brayden though, or at least a better decision maker, that's where the differences is. Brayden isn't going to win the contested ball ie Touk, Rowell, he is the clearing hands out of the pack but he just makes some silly mistakes. Not trying to single him out as the whole team made poor mistake after poor mistake but for someone that can get the ball 41 times there needs to be better decisions made with that ball. His disposal efficiency looks okay because he kicks it long down the line which is a effective kick or sideways alot but in and around the pack he missed to many easy Handballs, although Touk did a lot of it today as well.
Im just frustrated with the level of talent in this squad that effort and simple skill execution is STILL a problem
He led the team in contested possessions, 2nd in clearances, =3rd in tackles

he has 1 more turnover than Rowell and 27 more possessions.

he had 1 less turnover than Touk.

Based on turnovers he had one of the best possession retention rates of all suns mids.

Yes his skill execution needs to get better. But so do so many on our team. Even mentioning him amongst the players who needed to do more today is joke. The man had 41 touches

I'm not disagreeing, it's just that midfield rotation you've named might actually look like their going backwards they're so slow...and they won't run out an entire match
Props to Brayden Fiorini today -just kept at it
Rankine sadly-because I love his style- is the player who is at the top of my list for some VFL time
The difference between Izak and Connor Rozee-wow
Not sure sending Rowell or Anderson back to VFL will sharpen them up in anyway for their job-although maybe just let them get leather poisoning for a game or two

Ainsworth, Corbett, Sexton, Fiorini all got dropped and did their time and generally came back stronger. Nobody should be immune. It’s clear that Rowell is trying with his pressure (though he needs to learn how to make an attempt without genuinely attempting and getting pinged), but Anderson is underdone in a big way. Both could use a rest or a game of VFL for a week. It won’t happen, but it should. Rankine too. All three need some confidence which playing against AFL players will not give them. Rankine has been down for most of the season. Anderson for half of it.

Jeffery should get a chance. Unfortunately, with Weller, Ellis and now Markov out we have lost our outside run (besides Sharp) so not sure there is much to change there.

Based on turnovers he had one of the best possession retention rates of all suns mids.

Yes his skill execution needs to get better. But so do so many on our team. Even mentioning him amongst the players who needed to do more today is joke. The man had 41 touches

Fiorini is improved of what he was. He might have reached his ceiling, but what he does he does consistently. He stayed patiently in the VFL and came back and did his job. For the rest of the season we need to work with that rather than against it. He’s not perfect and watching the game it’s hard to make out his impact sometimes, but nobody in the VFL could do what Fiorini does better right now. Touk needs help. Fiorini offers something there to at least get hands on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant more the hard ground ball, getting a handball receive in traffic is counted as a contested possession, but alas I'm in the minority here so I'll stop stop argument

Ainsworth, Corbett, Sexton, Fiorini all got dropped and did their time and generally came back stronger. Nobody should be immune. It’s clear that Rowell is trying with his pressure (though he needs to learn how to make an attempt without genuinely attempting and getting pinged), but Anderson is underdone in a big way. Both could use a rest or a game of VFL for a week. It won’t happen, but it should. Rankine too. All three need some confidence which playing against AFL players will not give them. Rankine has been down for most of the season. Anderson for half of it.

Jeffery should get a chance. Unfortunately, with Weller, Ellis and now Markov out we have lost our outside run (besides Sharp) so not sure there is much to change there.

Very valid point you raise there about outside run… that’s what our game plan is largely based on and there was some huge outs. Ellis would have been huge today

Gazza had 50

Missed the game got to watch the last quarter, watching Powell kick it into mcstay ah seriously.

Pretty bad way to lose, not acceptable anywhere. Players dropped their heads, got Melbourne next week so somehow have to get up for it. Jeffery comes in for NT game, you can’t drop fiorini. 41 touches is massive

Missed the game got to watch the last quarter, watching Powell kick it into mcstay ah seriously.

Pretty bad way to lose, not acceptable anywhere. Players dropped their heads, got Melbourne next week so somehow have to get up for it. Jeffery comes in for NT game, you can’t drop fiorini. 41 touches is massive

It was actually Swallow who kicked it into McStay. Rankine, Graham, Markov out… Let’s give Moyle, McLennan and Rosas a run.

It was actually Swallow who kicked it into McStay. Rankine, Graham, Markov out… Let’s give Moyle, McLennan and Rosas a run.

Jeffery should get in over any of them. Moyle and Rosas a maybe, but both need more development IMO, or McPherson as a replacement I guess. McLennan has not shown enough unfortunately. I want to be proven wrong though.

A few players will have the blowtorch, but I’m expecting two changes (one forced with injury) as per usual.

Im so scarred from this team that all im thinking right now is how will we fu** this up in the 2nd half

prophetic post! I didn’t see the game. Was the end big margin more because we ran out of gas in the second half or because the Lions lifted their intensity?

I was expecting them to cream us anyway so it was promising in that we could at least match them for a half.

Jeffery should get in over any of them. Moyle and Rosas a maybe, but both need more development IMO, or McPherson as a replacement I guess. McLennan has not shown enough unfortunately. I want to be proven wrong though.

A few players will have the blowtorch, but I’m expecting two changes (one forced with injury) as per usual.

Jeffrey is playing that Sexton/Corbett role hence why I haven’t mentiined him. 9 goals is hard to ignore for selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back