Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

yea the second half was fun and all, but the glimpses we showed in the 2nd quarter when at least the suns were still competitive were good.

I was at the game so obviously didn't get involved in the game day thread but was thinking at half time I wonder how the melts are going on BF.... is it worth having a look at for some entertainment?

Dont think Berry will be buying a beer for Joe tonight. Not sure how I view Joe yet.

Sure that second half was great fun and all.. but once again, when a team served it up to us - we looked ******* horrid. We didn't change much in the 2nd half, they just completely dissolved.

The pressure between the arcs in the first half was deplorable. Our mids are just lazy.

Happy to win and happy we found another gear, but if that is any indication of where we are at.. we won't win a final.

Got a 'fools gold' vibe about it.

Don't know what to make of that game. Suns were terrific first half and we were dire. Second half the Suns were atrocious they basically just stopped running. We lifted our efforts and got rewarded so thats pleasing. We are still long way from our best but here's hoping that second half gives the players a bit of belief back in their legs.

Great to see Big O fight back after a poor fortnight. Certainly helps when you are not getting double teamed. Also I think Fagan gave Fullarton more time in the ruck today than he would have with Daniher as the second ruck. Those extra mins rest may have helped Oscar.

Great to see Lyons win the medal twice in the same year to further embarrass the Suns. That said Linc was unlucky I thought he was brilliant. McCluggage after poor first half really lifted in the last half as did Zorks. Daniher could have easily kicked 5 goals but he still concerns me. Charlie improved but he is massive front runner. We need him to lift when things are tough.

Jack Payne was awful. He can't stay in the team. I saw a couple times where he just couldn't be bothered chasing. Some really tame efforts. I would give Ballenden a game next week if he is fit. Birchall was average as well. Also I'm not sold on Jarrod Berry either. Could hardly get into a gallop today. Imagine they will continue with him but he would need to improve 10 fold on what he has shown in his 2 games in the last month.

Credit to Mitch Robinson who ripped in from start to finish. He turns it over more than anyone but he work rate was outstanding.

Gold Coast have been excellent the last month and the first quarter. We took it to them in the second despite the scoreboard not showing it and re-found our mojo in the second half. When you have a team with the ability to fight back like that and go up a few gears, it makes for promising stuff moving forward.

Suns pressure in the first half was as phenomenal and we were a bit off the boil. Thw scoreboard flattered them with some ridiculous umpiring and poor goal kicking by us

Good win, shocking first half. Big O was best on in my opinion.

Don't want to be negative but If we play a first half like that again against any top 8 sides we're done for. I just thought Gold coast came back out after half time and were playing conservative trying to hold their lead and gave us our confidence back.

Lester or Birchall have to go, when Adams or Darcy are back.

Its still going to be an uphill battle to get a top 4 spot from here, port has got a good run to finish the year.

With everything going against us this year, whatever happens at least the guys have had a crack given us some good moments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep that'll make a big difference

I'd hope Fages does focus on what went wrong in the first half and strategies we can take into future games to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Sure that second half was great fun and all.. but once again, when a team served it up to us - we looked ******* horrid. We didn't change much in the 2nd half, they just completely dissolved.

The pressure between the arcs in the first half was deplorable. Our mids are just lazy.

Happy to win and happy we found another gear, but if that is any indication of where we are at.. we won't win a final.

Got a 'fools gold' vibe about it.

I'm not going to claim we are back to our best or anything but we are still 5 weeks away from finals commencing. A bit early to melt completely - we've seen plenty of teams have indifferent patches before getting it back together late in the season/in finals.

Was gold coast's poor performance the main reason we probably got back into it? Maybe. But not sure this sort of posting achieves much. Enjoy the win, but be mindful that we have work yet to do imo.

Good win, shocking first half. Big O was best on in my opinion.

Don't want to be negative but If we play a first half like that again against any top 8 sides we're done for. I just thought Gold coast came back out after half time and were playing conservative trying to hold their lead and gave us our confidence back.

Lester or Birchall have to go, when Adams or Darcy are back.

Its still going to be an uphill battle to get a top 4 spot from here, port has got a good run to finish the year.

With everything going against us this year, whatever happens at least the guys have had a crack given us some good moments

I don't think we should have Lester in our best team but gee Payne gets a free ride sometimes. I think he has potential but he was just about worst on, Birchall included, and its been a pretty poor few weeks from him once adams went out.

Suns were good in the first half but we should've been able to slow them down and converted more of our own chances. We dominated general play in the second and let them kick easy goals while missing ours.

I think the first 15 minutes were pathetic but after that we were ok.

I didn't have any issue with how Payne played. Still only played a handful of games so will make mistakes. Worth persisting with.

Lester on the other hand....

I don't think the strategies changed much. Suns just ran out of steam applying ridiculously good pressure and we lifted our intensity.

Future games means games in the future jackess.

I didn't have any issue with how Payne played. Still only played a handful of games so will make mistakes. Worth persisting with.

Lester on the other hand....

Payne was very very poor on Corbett on several occasions in the first half, and often managed to somehow completely misread teh drop of the ball such that Harris was contesting against both King and Corbett - or he would fly, not impact then corbett crumbed. Looked all at sea. It was obviously shithouse to be one of our defenders in the first half but he never managed to even the contest or spoil to a less dangerous spot.

I think we can safely say our best team has Adams and Dizzy and neither of Payne or Lester.

Payne was very very poor on Corbett on several occasions in the first half, and often managed to somehow completely misread teh drop of the ball such that Harris was contesting against both King and Corbett - or he would fly, not impact then corbett crumbed. Looked all at sea. It was obviously shithouse to be one of our defenders in the first half but he never managed to even the contest or spoil to a less dangerous spot.

I think we can safely say our best team has Adams and Dizzy and neither of Payne or Lester.

Before Adams last 2 games I'm not sure he was playing much better

Back