2022 and the State of the Rebuild

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After the start of the season, I'd be surprised if anyone saw the last two months coming. It's been the highest quality and most watchable footy we've played since we made the prelim finals under Brad Scott. Both individually and collectively, the performances have been outstanding, and these results are coming on the back of great performances from the youth. Thomas, Stephenson, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott, and I could go on have all been central to this run of form.

I think the improvement has been so great and so rapid that it leads to some questions about our collective expectations as fans for 2022 and beyond but also what we do from a list management perspective.

Do you think this form is sustainable for a full season or is our relative youth still going to see dramatic peaks and valleys in performances throughout a whole season? What are your expectations for 2022? Have we become a surprise finals contender or do you still expect us to finish in the bottom 6?

Does our rapid improvement and good performances against good sides change our list management strategy this off-season? Or are we at risk of being lulled into going too early by said improvement? Do we stay the course and wait to see if it is indeed sustainable over a full year and start to be aggressive at the end of 2022?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
After the start of the season, I'd be surprised if anyone saw the last two months coming. It's been the highest quality and most watchable footy we've played since we made the prelim finals under Brad Scott. Both individually and collectively, the performances have been outstanding, and these results are coming on the back of great performances from the youth. Thomas, Stephenson, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott, and I could go on have all been central to this run of form.

I think the improvement has been so great and so rapid that it leads to some questions about our collective expectations as fans for 2022 and beyond but also what we do from a list management perspective.

Do you think this form is sustainable for a full season or is our relative youth still going to see dramatic peaks and valleys in performances throughout a whole season? What are your expectations for 2022? Have we become a surprise finals contender or do you still expect us to finish in the bottom 6?

Does our rapid improvement and good performances against good sides change our list management strategy this off-season? Or are we at risk of being lulled into going too early by said improvement? Do we stay the course and wait to see if it is indeed sustainable over a full year and start to be aggressive at the end of 2022?

Stay the course. Keep drafting, attack quality FA’s, move on the weak links.

I can’t really say but what Cam Mooney said that noble told him “they are finally getting and learning the way we want to play”

1. I think we will definitely improve up the ladder with a big off/pre season, regaining players from long term injury, trade and draft. As a slightly younger team we will still be at high risk for burnout but hopefully the balance with senior players/depth can drive us away from that burnout.

2. I think we might be a slight chance for finals, I don’t want to pump us up too much but I think we will finish mid table. Highest being scraping the 8/ narrowly missing, lowest being just scraping the bottom 4. (I’m not saying we will but our best is best enough to compete with any team)

3. Look I think even the wins against the better teams doesn’t drive us in a different direction with our list management, we still have deficiencies in KPP. We still need to cut the list and bring in draftees and hopefully Kelly.

4. IMO the sooner we iron out our deficiencies the better we will be in the long run.

(sorry if they don’t make sense lol trying to think with a migraine)

Last edited:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I can’t really say but what Cam Mooney said that noble told him “they are finally getting and learning the way we want to play”

1. I think we will definitely improve up the ladder with a big off/pre season, regaining players from long term injury, trade and draft. As a slightly younger team we will still be at high risk for burnout but hopefully the balance with senior players/depth can drive us away from that burnout.

2. I think we might be a slight chance for finals, I don’t want to pump us up too much but I think we will finish mid table. Highest being scraping the 8/ narrowly missing, lowest being just scraping the bottom 4. (I’m not saying we will but our best is best enough to compete with any team)

3. Look I think even the wins against the better teams doesn’t drive us in a different direction with our list management, we still have deficiencies in KPP. We still need to cut the list and bring in draftees and hopefully Kelly.

4. IMO the sooner we iron out our deficiencies the better we will be in the long run.

(sorry if they don’t make sense lol trying to think with a migraine)

“I can’t say”….what did you leave out?

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
There isn’t a Geelong/Hawthorn/Richmond type team, and while there isn’t (until it’s us) I say push hard.

Stay the course and don’t sell the farm, but by next year even with this team (injuries permitting) I don’t see why we couldn’t jump up to 5-8.

By 2023 we could be challenging for Top 4.

I cannot believe I just wrote that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A very good exciting win today.
The future looks bright but remember we only played a pack of overachieving underachieving pack of Salary cap and draft cheats in Carlton that the only enjoyments they vile supporters have had in recent times are when they were cheering for losses and winning the Krauzer Cup off those other draft cheats in Tankbourne.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Most watchable footy since the 90s. Right through the Scott/ Laidley eras we had to play grinding tough footy to be competitive. Down the line, stoppage, grind, chase rinse and repeat. Thats a brutal way to make a living and unlikely any team can maintain that enough for a top 2 finish.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
After the Good Friday game I just wanted one win - what nobes has done is pretty extraordinary.
He has backed his philosophy and game plan - the players look to have a lot of trust in him.

We need another decent tall forward next to larkey.
Need corr , Perez to replace Walker , atley.
Hopefully get kelly and probably use our first pick on a rebounding defender (Finn)or that gibcus dude

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
After the Good Friday game I just wanted one win - what nobes has done is pretty extraordinary.
He has backed his philosophy and game plan - the players look to have a lot of trust in him.

We need another decent tall forward next to larkey.
Need corr , Perez to replace Walker , atley.
Hopefully get kelly and probably use our first pick on a rebounding defender (Finn)or that gibcus dude

I wonder if Harry McKay might've cast his mind forward 2 years to free agency while watching that demolition take place.

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others

Good thread.

We're playing really good and watchable footy which makes a nice change from the dour stuff late last year. But unlike last year's early game plan (where we'd brutalise teams), the current game plan looks both balanced and sustainable.
I honestly belive that, despite our lowly position, we are already better than about a third of the comp. Since we hit rock bottom the progress we've made has been pronounced and linear, but you'd think it can't keep developing at that pace (can it?).

Early doors, I think we finish mid-table next year, but I would not be surprised if we turned into the 'feelgood' media story of the year by exceeding most people's expectations.

Bring it on.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Corr coming back and Comben being as good as advertised pretty much gets us all the way there for KPB/F's. Edwards a long way off, but looks a good mover.

The midfield is absolutely stocked, and will be added to this off season/improve with further training. Simpkin, LDU, TT, Phillips, Powell, Stepho with Cunners still motoring along is a sight to behold after the stodgy we had in there for years.

Question mark over Xerri being able to ruck as the #1 and actually keeping our best players on the park.

But the signs are very good in the area it counts.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Missing a KPF or two and with Robbie's form the KPD list profile isn't looking too healthy either. Shore up those, I think mid table next season and we should be attacking finals in 2023.

Swans, Hawks and Bombers rising alongside us and I can't see too many of the current top 8 falling off a cliff.

We are playing good footy right now, and LDU and Thomas provide something special in the midfield.

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This youthful team will allow Ziebel to play on for another 2-3 years. We don’t need or rely on him anymore. He is just a bonus now doing his thing in the backline. He can play without the burden of carrying the team now. We need his leadership so the younger guys can develop without too much responsibility thrust on them.
I haven’t seen midfield potential like this ever at North and I’ve been a member 35+ years. We’ve always been workmanlike, now we have real quality. If it plays to it’s potential long term then no.5 will be on its way I reckon. Ive kind of been watching guys like Scott, Mahoney, Taylor etc more closely recently. Was sceptical but they’re making very good progress this year. These type of players end up being your regular week in week out 150+ games foot soldiers. Every team needs these types. Xerri needs more games, I like his aggressiveness, won’t get pushed around like those rookie beanpole ruckmen do.
Really wrapped with how the season is panning out and what the future may hold.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
What I am seeing is composure, win, lose or draw from a young team.

Sure they can't sustain it against the better sides or even the mid table teams every week.

But a bottom side is usually devoid of confidence, panic, play within themselves and are rudderless.

We had to lose a lot of close games to decide to get Dal Santo, Higgins, Waite to bring in some wiser heads.

I can see this crew kicking the clutch goal or just plain breaking a team in half or just hitting someone up for a mark, where in years gone by, we couldn't.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If Noble is as good as he seems, it's freightning to think what some players will do next season.

Especially the likes of Phillips and Powell in their second preseason, Comben when he finally starts getting games and Edwards when he becomes a full time footballer.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Your midfield is going to be one of the best in about two years.

Thomas and LDU have something special and they balance each other well. Simpkin also pairs well with these guys.
Tom Powell could be better than all of them..

After the start of the season, I'd be surprised if anyone saw the last two months coming.

Well I'm on record as saying that I didn't think finals was an unrealistic aim for 22 with a full list available. It was clear to me that our horrific injury run was a major impact particularly given it was mostly to the remaining reliable senior players in Tarrant, McDonald, Dumont etc

It's been the highest quality and most watchable footy we've played since we made the prelim finals under Brad Scott. Both individually and collectively, the performances have been outstanding, and these results are coming on the back of great performances from the youth. Thomas, Stephenson, Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, Scott, and I could go on have all been central to this run of form.

Agree with this. I've enjoyed pretty much enjoyed every game this season, even getting destroyed by the Dogs I found to be a relatively zen experience as we at least fired a shot early on while hopelessly outgunned. All year barring a few periods we've attacked the game with a consistent approach. Knowing what you're trying to achieve and having so much senior depth out has meant that I've enjoyed games for the moments and little wins rather than being too hung up on the ladder position. I also think Noble and his teams selection has been almost spot on. Not afraid to put their hands up and say we need a change (such as Campbell in earlier in the year to straighten us) and not afraid to rotate out younger players that were playing okay to give them a rest or bring in experience. The best 22 doesn't feel like a fixed number of players outside of injuries for the first time in quite a while.

As far as next year. A fit list is easily a chance at finals but I don't think that changes much from a list management POV. We will go to the draft and we will take quality - if available as a bargain - players in their peak years. The delistings will tell a story that will be fascinating - will we cut hard again or does the club see a fairytale late premiership for Cunners / Goldy etc as possible in 23-24...

We should be trading next year's first for a top ten pick this year.

We may not play finals but we will be significantly better. We lost alot of players thru injury and it enabled the development of our kids because they had to stand up. Whatever next year brings we should be aiming at a prelim in 2023 at least. If we get two good picks this year at the price of next years first it will consolidate our young players ov er the 2016-2021 time frame. (2015-21 if you count Buckets.)

It’s great our youngsters are coming on well. But there is a strong correlation with the fact in the second half of the season many of our older players are back. We need this balance imo not sure we need to get rid of too many of the older players just yet. I would offer Ben 10 2 to 3 yrs, Jack Robbie Hall 1 option 2. I would keep Dumont and Polec. J Walker 1, Atley 1 option 2. But some players will need to be told at some stage the reserves may beckon in coming yrs so if they want look elsewhere we will not stand in their way.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Noble has said himself that he’s been surprised by the rate of improvement. I think that says a lot.

Absolutely no question we stay the course. Draft & FA’s are our approach for at least the next two years. There is still a way to go in terms of list and development, make no mistake about that.

Big draft this year + hopefully FA a need. Big draft again next year + another FA.

The most pleasing thing about our improvement, is that oppo players that are coming out of contract in the next 24 months, will now be paying attention.

Back