Sloane must go

Remove this Banner Ad

I still feel he should go back like Hodge, Burgoyne, Murphy, Boyd etc.
In saying that there's nothing stopping him rotating through multiple positions

Comes a time when one needs to reduce the toll on the body.

When it comes to list management if they are to move him forward then he may fulfill Lynchs role which means probably no contract for Lynch especially if Cook or Gollant are serious options next year.

The Crows would do well to return Sloane to HFF where he started his fine AFL career. He’s become a liability in the middle (particularly centre bounces) but should still be an important linking and goal scoring forward.

I still feel he should go back like Hodge, Burgoyne, Murphy, Boyd etc.
In saying that there's nothing stopping him rotating through multiple positions

Comes a time when one needs to reduce the toll on the body.

When it comes to list management if they are to move him forward then he may fulfill Lynchs role which means probably no contract for Lynch especially if Cook or Gollant are serious options next year.

All those guys had elite decision making and skill by foot. Boyd probably not to the level of the others, but still much better than Sloane. Sloane is a blue collar player, his value has been brute effort, be it in the contest or his early hard running days. As much as I think we need to see him forward or even back, I'm not convinced that he has the skill set to provide value in those roles. And I'm not sure his body would allow him to return to those hard running days, but we need to try something, his days as anything more than a limited rotation mid are well behind him.

All those guys had elite decision making and skill by foot. Boyd probably not to the level of the others, but still much better than Sloane. Sloane is a blue collar player, his value has been brute effort, be it in the contest or his early hard running days. As much as I think we need to see him forward or even back, I'm not convinced that he has the skill set to provide value in those roles. And I'm not sure his body would allow him to return to those hard running days, but we need to try something, his days as anything more than a limited rotation mid are well behind him.
Going back allows that.
I always remember Rendell saying he saw Sloane play on Yarran in U18 championships and taken to the goal square and Sloane beat him.

Get him right and ready for next year. What's the point playing him? We have to persist though he's got 3 more years left. Unless someone wanted to pay a first rounder for him.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Wasn't it 4? Think it happened after the underarm as well.
Point is the majority only remember the ending, not so much the career. Best to go out on a high.
4 in 2 tests and 2 in one day games. 7 for the series.

I think the coaches have a lot to answer for with Sloane.
We all have blind spots no matter if it's family, business, sport and the idea of good relationships is for someone to say have you considered this

His comments about his brother being justification for his decision is BS in my view. Not saying it's not true but absolute crap advice.

I would be saying you've had a great career. Served the club well. There's 30-60 years living after your career make sure your body is still intact for that.
Take the season off and be raring to go next year.

If he had no contract then it's a different story.
Or if he decided to hang up the boots early at the end of the year then it make sense.

The coaches need to make the decisions that's why they get.paid the big bucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane out
Crouch in

Easy.

Alter his contract so he gets the money he would get for 2022/23 if he played the next four games. Then get the surgery.

I am convinced the only reason he is playing is to hit a games played KPI in his third year of the five year contract for maximum guaranteed money in years four and five.

Club won't omit the captain, and it is an injury you can play through.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It should be and hopefully they use his recent injury as the excuse if they can't just drop him.
Poor Keays will probably end up being the victim.

prett6 sure Keays was pushed out late ladt year when w3 had both Crouchs's, Sloane and Laird all playing. Would be pretty rough to lose your midfield minutes to Sloane this year, but if someone does it's much more likely to be Schoey.

We find it difficult to transition our older players into more peripheral roles, or to freshen them up with strategic rests.

We've bulldozed Sloane. Even superstars like Burgoyne and Hodge spent less time in the midfield as their career went on.

Occasionally Sloane will spend a few minutes at half forward, not get much or any of the ball and instantly return to the midfield.

Why not try it for longer? He's a good player, he will get himself into the game. He will find a way to get involved and be effective. If after three weeks at half forward he still hasn't touched the ball then ok now try something different.

Could extend is career, expand his effectiveness and help us develop our next midfielders while he's still there to support.

It really is that simple, why we refuse to do it is why our club perpetually competes around the same level and can't take the next step required.

Errr no you weren’t . You are a flog

Interesting that you could be so confident on my own thoughts as to contradict me in such a manner. Maybe someone hacked my BF account when the below were posted on page 1 of the game day thread. You really aren't the brightest of sparks are you?

I reckon we get up today. I'm going to back us all the way up to 60+
of course we want to win. I can't see our midfield gifting goals like they did last week, plus there's no Natanui to service their blue collar workers. I thought we competed pretty well across the field last week. My only concern is forward structure, but they're equally tall in their's so we cancel each other out.

It should be and hopefully they use his recent injury as the excuse if they can't just drop him.
Poor Keays will probably end up being the victim.
We are not dropping Keays anytime soon!

Firstly we should have made the call & put Sloane in for surgery for his finger. We are not going for finals, so there is nothing to be gained by playing him injured.

As part of us giving more midfield minutes to younger players, we should be using Sloane more up forward as decent mark/kick for goal & off a wing, with the odd run on ball.

Interesting that you could be so confident on my own thoughts as to contradict me in such a manner. Maybe someone hacked my BF account when the below were posted on page 1 of the game day thread. You really aren't the brightest of sparks are you?
Not saying that you didn’t back us to win. I’m disputing your call that you were one of the only ones 😂. You are as sharp as a bowling ball.

This thread would make a bit more sense if Sloane didn't get 25 possessions just a week ago against West Coast. Also he's averaging around 22 disposals per game this year. Not totally disastrous considering he's come back from a serious eye injury with surgery done.

He's certainly not in the best of form, but no such evidence that he's cooked yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back