Review Dogs defeat melbourne 85-65 - Round 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal he kicked at the end was clutch. And whilst it wasn’t his night, he did apply some pressure and competed hard. Deserves another week in the firsts IMO.
It was the 1%ers that I liked, it showed his desperation to be part of this team.
How many players have been taken 1st in the draft and won a premmie in their 1st year?? Not many if any.

Last edited:

Having Sam Darcy and Tim English as a potential ruck/forward duo of the future adds to that excitement. I also think Dom Bedendo has a spark.
Yeah it’s honestly crazy, next year we could have 5 players capable of kicking 30+, Bruce, Jamarra, Naughty, Cody & Bont. Depending on what we do with the ruck you could potentially add English to them too. Crazy spread, can’t stop them all.

Timmys interesting, I think I’m coming around to him being number one ruck, I’ve probably been harsh on his ruck craft considering he is 23. I thought he was brilliant last night, Gawn had some patches where he nearly took over but Timmy wrangled him back usually. On a dry night he probably takes 3-4 contested marks that he got in good spots for but just didn’t stick and we’d be talking about how he killed the best ruckman in the game honestly.

I think hit out stats are rubbish for the most part, a lot of the time their genuine 50/50s idk how a stats person can determine whose hit out it was so I feel a lot of the time they just give benefit of the doubt to guys like Gawn and give them all the 50/50s. At one stage towards the end of the 2nd quarter I was saying to my mate that Timmy had held his own quite well and then they popped the stats up on the screen and the hit outs were like 24-2 or something ridiculous, there was no possible way that that was a fair reflection of how the two were going

Loved English's game. Gawn is a gun and dominated in the ruck but Tim around the ground and his ability to use his hands and tackle is his advantage.

Oh, and snapping 50m bombs.....
Timmy has to work to his strengths, and trying to outmuscle bigger rucks ( against Goldy) is not one of them. Run them off the park and wear them out, it's hard to jump at the ball when you're gassed.

Wholeheartedly agree that Brayshaw is a shocking commentator - the other JB (Jason Bennett) should replace him permanently.

Bennett is clear, articulate and well researched - is the correct commentary match with BT.

BT is self indulgent but amusing and he absolutely loves the dogs - no idea why people suggesting he is anti us.
Have to agree about Brayshaw, he is sooooooo horrendous. His mouth goes without any thought. I can’t listen to him.

It was a great win but a few of you guys are embarrassing yourselves going the John Georgiades.
Not sure who you are talking about? Nothing wrong in finding joy in a great win. Everyone knows it is the last game of the year that counts the most surely
1627177205646.png

I've always liked schache and I am very happy for him. If he clicks his skill as a ball user off hb is going to be deadly. Thought bont and jacko were immense. Bont gets the headlines and he deserves them he was inspirational but jee wiz Jackson macrae is a player. I think we have the two best mids the club has ever had playing atm. Caleb and Hunter were great. Baz was good jeez it's going to be a tough team to beat with dunks and treloar with the improvement of young boy's like Garcia. Proud fan let's bring it home this year we can do it
I did really love the Libba snr/Jose/West snr combo.
But yeah there ain't nothing like the Bont and Jack, add in the BFF's and that can be a premmie midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the delay folks...

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - English
22 - Bontempelli
21 - Macrae
19 - B. Smith
15 - Liberatore
3 - Schache
1 - Daniel

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
89 - English (14 / 3)
18 - Schache (4 / 0)
1 - Cordy (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 3
ME: 21

First Possessions
WB: 42

ME: 56

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 49 / 33
ME: 41 / 30

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)
Set Shot: 5.2 / 5.2
Snap: 4.1 / 4.2
On Run: 2.1 / 0.3
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 0.1
Ground Kick: 1.1 / 0.1

0M-15M: 2.1 / 0.0
15M-30M: 4.0 / 4.4
31M-40M: 1.2 / 4.3
41M-50M: 6.1 / 1.2
51M+: 0.1 / 0.0
The hit outs and hit outs to advantage against us yet still be able to win clearances is such a testament to our onballers and their ability to set up, read and/or nullify that advantage.....with Dunkely and Treloar still to return. Tough times ahead for opposition.

Some good reading also in 15-30m and 41-50m range.

First - I know every team is the enemy but Melbourne has become a very good team - they were in it the whole game and will be there at the pointy end. Very impressed by their attitude at the end of the game congratulating us for being the better team on the day.

On the free kick count, Melbourne came out wanting to play the body and I expect this is in the lead up to the finals - a smart thing to do but their execution wasn’t quite there. I reckon it will be good for them in finals. Almost funny trying the Geelong dirty tactic and then whinging or complaining when they didn’t get the call. Geelong are experts and Melbourne are learning.

I couldn’t give a crap about anyone else winning the granny but if you put a gun to my head I would probably pick Melbourne.

Enough already said about Schache - onto top of this his ability to use his body in front a rebound as well - gives us another weapon and gives him real hope and confidence he can make it - could t be happier for the fella.

Weightman is a lot more than a good forward - his harassment and energy is getting to Cyril levels - he makes opposition panic and lifts everyone around him a if you look at his stats you probably think he had a poor game but his influence was a thirty game three goal level.

English was smashed but earlier in his career he got worse as the game went on but yesterday he got better and better - both forgetting finesse and just bodying in to Gawn to reduce the easy taps and killing Gawn around the ground - could easily have had three goals and blocked to bring the ball to ground in a number of attacking packs. Our players already read him in packs so he can push it towards them even if he misses the mark.

Red was outstanding until he was injured - love how he kept trying to tell the medicos to leave him alone. The extra muscle he has put on is really showing and he is taller than you think and able to impact marking contests with players much taller like Williams.

Cordy played his best game for a while - took on the extra responsibility as fullback and took MacDonald out of the game.

Williams was back to his best - anyone see Moyd in him? Having flashbacks! And started to get his candy back. Having Schache contest every high ball really helped him and he took advantage. Fantastic.

Duryea was really good again - the only thing I don’t like about him is he keeps Crozier out - on form he is just way too good.

Apologies to Hannan - have not been a fan yet - have seen the why but not the delivery that keeps players like Wallis out but he did a great job on May today. Bevo’s plan to break the best double team in the league worked a treat.

The anticipated head to head in the midfield did not let anyone down.

Petracca was great at times but Bont took the chocolates in terms of both volume and timing - standing up when needed.

Oliver v Macrae was a cracker. Oliver was fantastic and not much in it but Macrae just adds more including his tactical kicking.

Libba and Viney probably even - Had Libba kicked that goal would have got him but both spent most of the time fighting with each other and so didn’t look as impactful- great battle.

Smith belted Brayshaw. García beat Harmes.

The game was won here - even with Hitout against us. Other teams will be wondering how good we could be to beat the best without Trelor and Dunkley and Martin.

Did anyone notice the aggression Macrae brought? Every time there was a rough up by a Melbourne player on a bulldog he was first in to give them a shove and he did not look happy - cold eyes! Even pushed Libba out of the way to do it!

JJ didn’t have his best day and Roarke did a great job on Langdon but didn’t look like he did much. Scott was a bit quiet.

Bailey Dale didn’t have the impact he normally has - wasn’t bad - just not his best and he seemed a little unsure about when to go. I thought maybe Red had moved him to the other side of the ground or put him in a different role but as the game went on with Richards he didn’t rise. Wet track with his other defenders on fire so not issues.

JUH was struggling for most of the game - big bodies - top defenders and wind and rain were not the recipe foe him but he kept at it and in the bed his explosiveness was a really problem. Kicked one - assisted a couple, good tackles and could have had two. Not bad at all for a three gamer - he is building very nicely.

Macrae, Daniel and Bont could all claim three votes but mine go to Hunter - he was in everything. Watching the replay I kept an eye on him and his gut running contested work was amazing - stats don’t show it but when the ball was bouncing around he was very effective.

We have become a pretty elite wet weather team. Bodes well for finals at G if the weather turns.

Crows, Dons, Hawks and Power is a nice run for our new defence to try find their feet. Wood probably comes in for Richards but not sure if Young comes in for Keath. Port might stretch us with Downhill Dixon, Mitch and Marshall but the result might not matter come round 23.

I'm in the minority I guess but I like funny commentary. I agree with dumb opinions but I like it when JB and BT get hyped up in play. I dislike dull commentary or fawning like Mcavaney.
Yes, I find BT quite entertaining. Not so much when I was lining up to check in at Gold Coast Airport (a few years back) and BT held up the queue for about 20 minutes with some dispute/enquiry about his ticket. Had that smug, entitled expression on his face that campaigners do in that situation when they're the centre of attention :moustache:

Reminded me of the Dangerfield one in round 1.

Not malicious but he should be more careful.

Noticed Pickett has started doing the faux tough guy, slam to opponent into the ground before he has a chance to get up off the ground. I really hate this- he has been watching Oliver and Viney too much.

Did anyone see him wrestling with McCrae, put me off him for good, liked him before that.

Yeah it’s honestly crazy, next year we could have 5 players capable of kicking 30+, Bruce, Jamarra, Naughty, Cody & Bont. Depending on what we do with the ruck you could potentially add English to them too. Crazy spread, can’t stop them all.

Timmys interesting, I think I’m coming around to him being number one ruck, I’ve probably been harsh on his ruck craft considering he is 23. I thought he was brilliant last night, Gawn had some patches where he nearly took over but Timmy wrangled him back usually. On a dry night he probably takes 3-4 contested marks that he got in good spots for but just didn’t stick and we’d be talking about how he killed the best ruckman in the game honestly.

I think hit out stats are rubbish for the most part, a lot of the time their genuine 50/50s idk how a stats person can determine whose hit out it was so I feel a lot of the time they just give benefit of the doubt to guys like Gawn and give them all the 50/50s. At one stage towards the end of the 2nd quarter I was saying to my mate that Timmy had held his own quite well and then they popped the stats up on the screen and the hit outs were like 24-2 or something ridiculous, there was no possible way that that was a fair reflection of how the two were going

we are hard on Tim.. I remember watching an interview with max Gawn and he said he hardly had a kick to he was 24 or 25... Tim is way ahead of him at the same age

Last edited:
Taking into account ladder positions, time of year, players out vs the opposition, injuries in game, playing away, playing conditions, difficult preparation etc, that really has to rate amongst the better h&a wins in our history.

Our leaders and most reliable performers all delivered and a few really stepped up. Shack deserves special mention.

Libba and Daniel are absolute guns in those conditions. So hard, so clean and so quick with their minds and hands. Just a joy to watch. Libba set up so much.

Felt strangely comfortable all game even when Melbourne pressed, just had so much confidence in our maturity as a group. You could just see that we were focused and nobody was getting over the top of us.

This is a pretty special group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back