Autopsy Round 19, 2021 | Autopsy vs Carlton

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
We need 30 player capable of being best 22 at any given time to manage injuries, weather, matchups etc.

He is best 22 in this context. He was fantastic this year down back and really grew into that role.
Yeah so who from yesterday makes way for him? Maybe Atley? Walker?
But then Tarrant comes back. And we're quite bullish on Perez.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Daniel Wells was an exceptional kick.

Off both feet. He was coached to stay outside as a receiver because we had little to no other players of his class.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
While I'm definitely reading too much into.it.

I think there is more to it, that it goes a bit deeper.

By addressing individuals by name it provides them with respect, but also accountability to their questions. Noble is smart enough to know that right now there's not a lot of heat. But he's more than happy to call your name on soft questions he'll be more than equipped to do it for the curly ones.

I love that he does it.

Dont think you're reading to much, thats why i posted the yoda pic in his thread. He's respectful, fatherly, focused and comes across as wise - you find yourself wanting to give respect back. Theres almost some 'How to win friends and influence people' in there.

So whose spot does he take? Who would not have played yesterday to make way for him? Keeping in mind Tarrant would have also played, so that's 2 from yesterday who would be out.

I think we are arguing over the definition of “best 22”

Clearly we want more than 22 players that are ‘best 22’ on any given week.

If and when Bonar forces his way into the team, that doesn’t mean the other guy is not longer best 22

it could be a match-up, form, injury , team balance - but you want someone equally capable stepping up

I think he can step up when needed snd replace several players without losing anything.

One of my favorite things about north lately is that the team is collectively understanding when to push and when to defend, makes them unpredictable at times

my God I feel so much more relaxed watching - there is a calmness and a level of organisation we haven’t had for years that I can recall.

Last edited:

My point is we need all of them to pick a best 22 for any given week.

After yesterday, even Taz might need to wait a week.

If we had a big loss, we might bring in Taz, Bonar and Polec for Atu, Walker and Scott or whoever stunk it up

One moment that stood out to me was Atley, he handballs it to JZ then shepards. I know it might not seem like big deal but it just shows the off ball word is just important which then helps take the game backing our own abilities, rather than taking the easy option.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
One moment that stood out to me was Atley, he handballs it to JZ then shepards. I know it might not seem like big deal but it just shows the off ball word is just important which then helps take the game backing our own abilities, rather than taking the easy option.

We're much better than in the past for sure. I used to rage internally about it all the time. Theres was a play where i think it was Thomas who ran past to create an option, he figured he wasnt going to be used and doubled back and blocked which bought us milliseconds which....as the Great man said, is hUGE! There was a fumble or the likes and Thomas was able to impact play again. These little things add up and have compounding effects over time.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I think we are arguing over the definition of “best 22”

Clearly we want more than 22 players that are ‘best 22’ on any given week.

If and when Bonar forces his way into the team, that doesn’t mean the other guy is not longer best 22

it could be a match-up, form, injury , team balance - but you want someone equally capable stepping up

I think he can step up when needed snd replace several players without losing anything.
The definition of best 22 is pretty clear. Who are the best 22 players on our list that we would want out there playing every week if fit. I don't think Bonar is there at the moment. He'd be in that 22-30 band, to "step up" and "replace players" as you said.
We have close to our best 22 out there at the moment minus say Tarrant, Corr and Mahony.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Let’s not cloud our memories with win every weekend in the 90’s…whilst we had some great Final series (96’ 99) and other individual Finals there were also quite a number of disappointing Home and Away games where we didn’t turn up and they were totally infuriating even all these years later

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Daniel Wells was an exceptional kick.

Off both feet. He was coached to stay outside as a receiver because we had little to no other players of his class.

Definitely a good kick, not an exceptional one.

Thomas is an exceptional kick.

Wells kicked a decent % of floaters.

I think a lot of it comes down to Wells being a major introvert. He didn't want to be the man. And it seemed to get worse as he got older.

I also felt he was a little injury prone and reluctant not to play unless 100%. When he was on, he was a superstar but he didn't have the cattle around him like Thomas does.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Depends on what team we want to bring out. McKay, Corr and Tarrant were planned as our 3 KP players. If that is the plan, you need to balance the team with run because at least one of those would be asked to play the intercept role. That is why Bonar is right in the wheelhouse for best 18 because he offers both defensive capabilities and run. In fact he has been super impressive defending the lead. Both Walker and Ziebell wouldn’t offer the run and carry we need and therefore would be under a fair bit of pressure. That is why Bonar, LMac, Atu etc are well and truly in the mix and the preferred type of players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The definition of best 22 is pretty clear. Who are the best 22 players on our list that we would want out there playing every week if fit. I don't think Bonar is there at the moment. He'd be in that 22-30 band, to "step up" and "replace players" as you said.
We have close to our best 22 out there at the moment minus say Tarrant, Corr and Mahony.

I agree but of course - if you ask each coach , let alone each member, you will get a different 22.

Some will have Bonar in

fwiw my preferred best 22 is all fit and on equal best form would be similar to yours by the sound of it.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Depends on what team we want to bring out. McKay, Corr and Tarrant were planned as our 3 KP players. If that is the plan, you need to balance the team with run because at least one of those would be asked to play the intercept role. That is why Bonar is right in the wheelhouse for best 18 because he offers both defensive capabilities and run. In fact he has been super impressive defending the lead. Both Walker and Ziebell wouldn’t offer the run and carry we need and therefore would be under a fair bit of pressure. That is why Bonar, LMac, Atu etc are well and truly in the mix and the preferred type of players.

The ain't dropping Ziebell, I could see Corr replacing Walker, Corr is quick for his size. With Taz still to replace someone else.
Still don't see a spot for Bonar in best 18-22. He's fringe / depth for mine at this stage.

If we as a club are doing this right - and I think we are - we will have 12 “locks” and about 18 other players vying for the remaining 10 spots in the 22. Bonar is firmly ensconced in the 12-30 group - in my view.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 1, 2005
Rural and Regional Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas, Roos, Shinboners
Let’s not cloud our memories with win every weekend in the 90’s…whilst we had some great Final series (96’ 99) and other individual Finals there were also quite a number of disappointing Home and Away games where we didn’t turn up and they were totally infuriating even all these years later

My personal favourite at Princes Park.

902B4990-9F6F-4D32-B517-71ACEB64F9B3.jpeg

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or the amount of games we’d only show up for a quarter…

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
so the poster(s) slagging Stepho, keep up the good work
also Ando, that worked well
and a shout out to the Bro , Ats at 92 %, going OK too!

Felt like Atley had no bad moments yesterday, I didn’t mind his game. He’s never going to be the bloke who takes the game by the scruff of the neck but played a very decent defensive game.

If we as a club are doing this right - and I think we are - we will have 12 “locks” and about 18 other players vying for the remaining 10 spots in the 22. Bonar is firmly ensconced in the 12-30 group - in my view.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who are your 12? I have 13 going into next year: Ziebell, Cunners, Goldy, Corr, Taz, LMac, LDU, Simpkin, TT, Souva, Zurhaar, McKay, Stevo.

Hall and Anderson not far off. Dumont will be if he re-signs with us. Polec too if he doesn't leave. It's getting full.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Definitely a good kick, not an exceptional one.

Thomas is an exceptional kick.

Wells kicked a decent % of floaters.
Was rated the best kick into the 50 behind pendlebury for a number of years. May have kicked some floaters but in a statistical sense was absolutely elite of elite. So easily higher than a 7/10

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back