Prediction Changes v GWS @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree.

Bonner has been good but...

Bergmann has shown an ability to win one on ones that Bonner never has.

I want players who win one on ones cone finals.
If you only want players who can win one on one contests then you would have a team of tom logans.Do you want a team of tom logans?

Bonners strength at least addresses one of our teams overall weaknesses which is the ability to hit targets going into 50/corridor. I'd keep him over Bergman.

Weve now qualified for finals, yet with our percentage just no where near the level it needs to be, we're going to have to win out to have a chance at top 2 and possibly top 4. We could end up playing round 23 with a win getting us 2nd and a loss 5th.
There's a good chance if we win the next 3 and do the usual fail against the top 4 against the Dogs in the last round, we'll be playing the Dogs again week 1 as 1v4. I wonder if we'll get the usual Ken 'we don't need to beat top 4 sides before finals' spiel then?

What I'd like to happen, but won't:

Outs: Jonas, DBJ, Woodcock
Ins: Clurey, Jones, Fantasia

What will likely happen.

If Fantasia is fit then probably just him for Woodcock. Although Ken would love to get Hartlett back, but would probably be at the expense of Bergmann not DBJ (even though if he was brought it in, it should be).

There's a good chance if we win the next 3 and do the usual fail against the top 4 against the Dogs in the last round, we'll be playing the Dogs again week 1 as 1v4. I wonder if we'll get the usual Ken 'we don't need to beat top 4 sides before finals' spiel then?
If your scenario plays out, what happens in the last round doesn't mean s**t. All we need to care about is beating whoever in week 1.

Can't wait to see campaigners faces like Ben Dixon and David King when that happens.

Last year we got smashed against Geelong in the regular season and then beat them in the final.

Back in 2014 we played Freo in the last week of the season to get a top 4 spot and lost by under 2 goals. 2 weeks later at the same venue we beat them.

Dare I say I don't really think that beating sides in the regular season means a heck of a lot in the playoffs. The reason I get frustrated with our inability to beat top 4 sides is because it means the margin of error to get a top 4 spot is infinitesimally small. For instance, if we had won just one of the games against Geelong, the Bulldogs or Melbourne this year, we would be equal top at the very worst with 4 games left, 2 games clear of 5th place with 3 relatively winnable games coming up, rendering the final game of the season not essential to get a top 4 spot. Had we beat Brisbane this year and even lost the others, a top 4 spot would be almost a guarantee if we won the next 3 games.

But we lost those games, and truly weren't really competitive in the majority of them (outside of the Geelong game). And as a result, the margin for error is slim to none at this point.

Woodcock for Fantasia is a given.

When Gray comes back, as it stands if it was this week (I know it isn't) it will be Bonner or Bergman for him. Whichever it is they probably go to the medi sub.

We then have Clurey, Hartlett, Leinert, Mayes and Lachie Jones as the guys that can come in and cover injuries or Bonner Bonnering.

DBJ won't be dropped.

Woodcock for Fantasia is a given.

When Gray comes back, as it stands if it was this week (I know it isn't) it will be Bonner or Bergman for him. Whichever it is they probably go to the medi sub.

We then have Clurey, Hartlett, Leinert, Mayes and Lachie Jones as the guys that can come in and cover injuries or Bonner Bonnering.

DBJ won't be dropped.

Hard to drop Bergman, he is now entrenched into the 22.

Fantasia and Jones surely will not come straight back into AFL.

I’d replace DBJ with Garner. But I honestly don’t see any changes this week

Fantasia and Jones surely will not come straight back into AFL.

I’d replace DBJ with Garner. But I honestly don’t see any changes this week

Im not sure how much more we will see Jones this year. Maybe only if Bergman breaks down.

He is a first year player who has had 2 hamstring injuries this year and there is no Magpies for him to find touch. Tough ask to come back from 4 weeks out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lycett misses and Mumford plays, I'll be very tempted to pick GWS.
I like Ladhams as the second ruck, but as first, Mumford is the type to destroy him.

Fantasia has missed a lot of football. You'd have tp give him a run in the 2s wouldn't you?

I really don't think Lachie Jones is best 22 this year. If a small back goes down, I'd be picking Hartlett.

Getting our talls at the back right (along with our midfield) is our biggest conundrum. Alir, as good as he's been, has seemed to disrupt our backlines cohesion.
McKenzie is good against forwards he can use his body against, but can get lost against mobile players. Him and Jonas seemed tp get completely jumbled in their match ups. Clurey for McKenzie is a neck and neck consideration.

As good as Bonner has been in the last 2 weeks I still don't trust him. His last quarter last night shows the real Bonner is never far away.

Woodcock goes out as soon as Fantasia is available. I'm just not sure it will be this week.

Bonner goes out when Gray is available. Bergmann for Lienert is the other consideration. Lienert gives us extra height, Bermann is classier.
It was interesting that "back 7" appeared to be Jonas, McKenzie, Burton, DBJ, Aliir, Bonner and Houston, with Bergman playing more as a half-forward.

Whether this was "horses for courses" given the dry deck at Marvel and the opposition match ups, or a more permanent selection move, remains to be seen.

It was a challenging night for the back-line given the height of Cox (211 cms), and Cameron (205 cms) v McKenzie (191 cm) and Jonas (188 cm) and quite a few unknown smaller players buzzing around. Jonas and McKenzie had to double team to have any chance of spoiling. I don't think the back-line was that bad, in the circs. Our "talls" mostly controlled their talls, and Houston and Bonner were damaging moving the ball forward, especially early.

Agree, can't see a spot for Clurey unless he's preferred to McKenzie (or injury to a "tall"). It's probably ditto for Lienert.

Hopefully Aliir can sort himself out - he's been a bit off since the "ruck experiment" - he has to re-gain mojo, as he's irreplaceable in current squad.

I'd like to see Bergman ahead of Bonner, in back 7, long-term, but there's no denying Bonner is currently more comfortable with the ball in his hand & offers more in terms of "attacking flair". The re-occurring problem is Bonner goes missing against the stronger teams, as he's exposed defensively, and gets less time and space offensively.

In a nutshell, it's players like Bonner, are reasons why we consistently lose to top teams and beat the weaker teams. Against top teams, players with weaknesses tend to get exposed and their strengths usually get negated. It would help if the likes of Bergman/Bonner could be merged into one player!

Surely something is up with Hartlett?

Perhaps he has committed to a trade and the club has shunned him to the Bs?

Is he suffering a mental health issue, but is not willing to go public?

Has he just lost the competitive desire?

Is he physically just not able at the moment?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
he said on social media he was not confident in his body at afl level yet. that was a week or two ago.

Im not sure how much more we will Jones this year. Maybe only if Bergman breaks down.

He is a first year player who has had 2 hamstring injuries this year and there is no Magpies for him to find touch. Tough ask to come back from 4 weeks out.

I would normally agree but Jones (like Burton) seemed to find his feet straight away after being out. Bergman should stay in however.

Unchanged.

Fantasia is no world beater and Jones is just at the start of a long career.

The SANFL will probably restart this we week. We will find out for sure at 11a.m. today. If that happens Jones and Fantasia can have a run in the SANFL to work out the cobwebs.

Fantasia is no world beater
Fantasia has created more shots on goal per game than any forward in our side. He's not a superstar, but he's very valuable to us if we can get him up and going.
The SANFL will probably restart this we week. We will find out for sure at 11a.m. today. If that happens Jones and Fantasia can have a run in the SANFL to work out the cobwebs.
We would require 2 weeks quarantine before our AFL guys can play any SANFL. If the SANFL starts this week we're probably going to be forfeiting. Hopefully the Vic cases keep trending in the right direction and the 14 day quarantine is removed in time for us to continue the season in a couple weeks, otherwise I'd say Port and Crows reserves will just be pulled from the comp.

Jones has injured his ankle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back