Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Why is Paddy McCartin playing for essendon vfl?
Same reason Rance is playing…Top up the lists so a game could go ahead, I reckon it’s good move for him to,play as much as possible

Why is Paddy McCartin playing for essendon vfl?
Swans reserves have a bye, so I guess Swans are trying to get games for the players - I think Logan was playing for them also?

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
A number of Swans players suited up for GWS today;
Same time as our seniors.

FWIW the game is up on Youtube;

Stats
Clarke 35 disp, 6 cl (both BOG) , Stephens 21 disp, Sheather 19 and a goal, McDonald 15 disp. 11 marks only score a behind, Gray 14 disp, Gould 13, Campbell 12 disp 1gl 2 pts, Melican 6 disp 1 mark, Brand 19 disp, 8 marks, 1 goal, 9 HO, 4 cl.

No record of Warner.

'GWS' beat Brisbane 11.20. 86 to 8.11. 59

Top ups we lent to Essendon;
P. McCartin 3 goals 2 pts, 6 marks, 10 disp (all kicks), Roseby 29 disp, 3 cl, Van Huisstede 15 disp, 3 marks, 1 behind.

Ess went down to Southport 10.11 71 to 11.9 75

EDIT Updated for Brand's HO stats.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm guessing that with Vic in lockdown and the senior team in a secure bubble, we may not see Paddy playing for us for some time. He may just get an extended run at essendon.
Essendon are up in Qld as well. The game was played at Southport.

We didn't have a reserves match so just lent players out to other sides to get game time and allow those teams to field full teams.

Paddy will be available for us in our next reserves game.

Last edited:

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
I'm guessing that with Vic in lockdown and the senior team in a secure bubble, we may not see Paddy playing for us for some time. He may just get an extended run at essendon.
And if he plays a few games for them up forward, you can bet they'll be into him for next season. Hooker replacement.

A number of Swans players suited up for GWS today;
Same time as our seniors.

FWIW the game is up on Youtube;

Stats
Clarke 35 disp, 6 cl (both BOG) , Stephens 21 disp, Brand 19, Sheather 19 and a goal, McDonald 15 disp. 11 marks only score a behind, Gray 14 disp, Gould 13, Campbell 12 disp 1gl 2 pts, Melican 6 disp 1 mark.

No record of Warner.

'GWS' beat Brisbane 11.20. 86 to 8.11. 59

Top ups we lent to Essendon;
P. McCartin 3 goals 2 pts, 6 marks, 10 disp (all kicks), Roseby 23 disp, 3 cl, Van Huisstede 12 disp, 3 marks, 1 behind.

Ess went down to Southport 10.11 71 to 11.9 75

Good effort by Roseby.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Good effort by Roseby.
Even better the stats have been updated to 29 disposals, second only to Dylan Clarke for the Bombers (31 disp).

With Roseby not getting Academy/Allies matches, good that he can get some game time.

He will be available to us as an Academy selection this year.
From the one time I saw him last year (v GWS academy) I thought he had a good game.
Solid build, good inside mid.
Hope he can some opportunities to play this year and go on with it

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just watched a replay of the GWS v Brisbane game, so some thoughts;

#1 ruckman for GWS = Kaiden Brand (no sign of McAndrew and the GWS rucks u/a).
And he actually did a good job. Up against 3 listed Lions ruckmen in Archie Smith, Lane & Henry Smith (plus on occasion Ballenden). Clearly beaten in HOs, but got around the ground well and generally used the ball well (8 marks and 19 disp). For good measure roved a goal off the pack when resting fwd in the last qtr. Got some relief from Finlayson and Sproule, but carried most of the load. Unsurprisingly a bit knackered in the last.
Ryan Clarke did what he does at this level 38 disp & 6 clearances. Professional attitude.
Gray mainly HF. No real impact.

And now for the younger players;
McDonald
played up fwd, but Finlayson and Sproule tended to be the dominant targets. Took two nice contested marks (incl one in defence when dropped back there late in Q3).
Most of his disposals were in the 4Q when he was leading up to the wing. Good that he had the tank to be working hard in the last qtr, but no real impact on the game.

Stephens played primarily wing, with occasional time at the contest, OK without doing anything IMO to put his hand up for a berth in the seniors. At this level his stats always seem better than his actual effect on the game.
Campbell mainly fwd pocket, no real impact.
Melican handy game down back, did what he had to do and used the ball well. Beaten on the lead in one contest,
For me Sheather was the standout of our younger players. Primarily HF, with bursts up the ground. Has a real energy and willingness for the contest. Used the ball well. Found space to provide an option. Getting a bit of the ball as well (19 disp, 9 marks).

And so we come to Gould. Named as a late emergency for seniors, when Lewy Tayor dropped out.
But for me it was an encouragement award, rather than any real prospect that he might play.
I do wonder if I'm too harsh on him, but in my eyes he's done nothing to show he's AFL standard.
Bit of stats padding late (as to a degree it was with Logan) as GWS controlled the ball playing into the wind.
For me his game was summed up in a one minute period in the third quarter. Drop an unopposed sitter and then was outmarked in a 1 on 1 contest by Rhys Mathieson.

With Buddy out, unfortunate for Logan that, for most of the game, he was the 3rd banana in the GWS fwd line.
IMO didn't do enough to demand a game, but given Amartey, McDonald & McLean each have different attributes, it will be more about what the selectors want from Buddy's replacement, rather than a judgement on Logan's performance in this match.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Just watched a replay of the GWS v Brisbane game, so some thoughts;

#1 ruckman for GWS = Kaiden Brand (no sign of McAndrew and the GWS rucks u/a).
And he actually did a good job. Up against 3 listed Lions ruckmen in Archie Smith, Lane & Henry Smith (plus on occasion Ballenden). Clearly beaten in HOs, but got around the ground well and generally used the ball well (8 marks and 19 disp). For good measure roved a goal off the pack when resting fwd in the last qtr. Got some relief from Finlayson and Sproule, but carried most of the load. Unsurprisingly a bit knackered in the last.
Ryan Clarke did what he does at this level 38 disp & 6 clearances. Professional attitude.
Gray mainly HF. No real impact.

And now for the younger players;
McDonald
played up fwd, but Finlayson and Sproule tended to be the dominant targets. Took two nice contested marks (incl one in defence when dropped back there late in Q3).
Most of his disposals were in the 4Q when he was leading up to the wing. Good that he had the tank to be working hard in the last qtr, but no real impact on the game.

Stephens played primarily wing, with occasional time at the contest, OK without doing anything IMO to put his hand up for a berth in the seniors. At this level his stats always seem better than his actual effect on the game.
Campbell mainly fwd pocket, no real impact.
Melican handy game down back, did what he had to do and used the ball well. Beaten on the lead in one contest,
For me Sheather was the standout of our younger players. Primarily HF, with bursts up the ground. Has a real energy and willingness for the contest. Used the ball well. Found space to provide an option. Getting a bit of the ball as well (19 disp, 9 marks).

And so we come to Gould. Named as a late emergency for seniors, when Lewy Tayor dropped out.
But for me it was an encouragement award, rather than any real prospect that he might play.
I do wonder if I'm too harsh on him, but in my eyes he's done nothing to show he's AFL standard.
Bit of stats padding late (as to a degree it was with Logan) as GWS controlled the ball playing into the wind.
For me his game was summed up in a one minute period in the third quarter. Drop an unopposed sitter and then was outmarked in a 1 on 1 contest by Rhys Mathieson.

With Buddy out, unfortunate for Logan that, for most of the game, he was the 3rd banana in the GWS fwd line.
IMO didn't do enough to demand a game, but given Amartey, McDonald & McLean each have different attributes, it will be more about what the selectors want from Buddy's replacement, rather than a judgement on Logan's performance in this match.
Thanks m8 super report. Brand the surprise. Maybe the shackles off.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Chad is ready to go this weekend, he trained strongly with our non-selected players on Sunday afternoon. He managed to get up to 10km in running and did some football specific conditioning. He's going to be available for a game in the VFL this weekend.

I've searched Kayo and 7Plus and nothing to see there yet!!

Anyone know whether this is being broadcast anywhere? I for one will be keen to see a refreshed Chad play.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Chad is ready to go this weekend, he trained strongly with our non-selected players on Sunday afternoon. He managed to get up to 10km in running and did some football specific conditioning. He's going to be available for a game in the VFL this weekend.

I've searched Kayo and 7Plus and nothing to see there yet!!

Anyone know whether this is being broadcast anywhere? I for one will be keen to see a refreshed Chad play.
This is all we have so far but updates on media should come through later in the week

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
1627554109048.png

Sydney Swans VFL not on Kayo

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Rowbottom, Warner and Paddy McCartin all named in reserves squad v Brisbane.

At this stage the four emergencies for the firsts (COR, Stephens Sinclair and Gray) all still named.

Screenshot_2021-07-30 VFL Selected Teams - GameDay.png

Here's hoping ourselves or Brisbane get a stream going.

EDIT; Brisbane have taken an extended squad to Tassie for their seniors match v Hawthorn, so 8 academy players in the reserves squad, plus top ups from GWS (Buntine, Riccardi & Stein).

Last edited:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Rowbottom, Warner and Paddy McCartin all named in reserves squad v Brisbane.

At this stage the four emergencies for the firsts (COR, Stephens Sinclair and Gray) all still named.

View attachment 1191071

Here's hoping ourselves or Brisbane get a stream going.

EDIT; Brisbane have taken an extended squad to Tassie for their seniors match v Hawthorn, so 8 academy players in the reserves squad, plus top ups from GWS (Buntine, Riccardi & Stein).
Where did you get this from? Couldn't find it on VFL site and can't make it big enough to read. 😥

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Where did you get this from? Couldn't find it on VFL site and can't make it big enough to read. 😥
Here you go;

And full size screenshot at external site;

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Here you go;

And full size screenshot at external site;
That's darned close to our best VFL team. Should be a decent game with a few GWS top ups for the Lions.

Back