Preview Round 20 - Lions vs the Hawks, 2:10pm, Sunday Aug 1 @ UTAS Stadium, Launceston (at the moment)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been getting up from the bottom of packs ever since he came to us.

I'd always thought he could reach a better level and is yet to become more than a role player but agree a lot of his work goes unnoticed and he's worth his spot in the team. Particularly for his versatility.

Hard to go another level when you're rotated from position to position as much as he is as a utility. Especially so when neither role he plays is a particularly high posession role.

Hard to go another level when you're rotated from position to position as much as he is as a utility. Especially so when neither role he plays is a particularly high posession role.
They used to call the half forward flank Starvation Corner for a reason.

There are sometimes large dollops of the game where you just have no opportunity to have any impact.

Ah Chee had 5 tackles, two goals and the third most pressure acts of any forward (only three behind Linc). He played his role and will hold his spot. I'm really not sure why people still want to drop him at every chance.
AhChee is a funny one really.
Personally I believe that we are a better defensive team when he plays in defence but he personally appears to play better and is a more natural forward.
Probably because what he does in defence goes unnoticed but he still makes us better defensively.

AhChee is a funny one really.
Personally I believe that we are a better defensive team when he plays in defence but he personally appears to play better and is a more natural forward.
Probably because what he does in defence goes unnoticed but he still makes us better defensively.
He's played the defensive role well the last 3 seasons.

He's got the capacity to do some mercurial things on occasions which we've only really seen when he's been in attack ,except for that night he marked everything in sight against Carlton .

Yeah ,he's a funny one. There's something there for us to work on and keep developing.

Jon Ralph during half time break Cats Tigers games says the Lions will be going to Melbourne next round to play the Hawks. Queensland has Victoria as a hotspot but the Lions have to go there and play while the Saints can’t come to Brisbane.

Jon Ralph during half time break Cats Tigers games says the Lions will be going to Melbourne next round to play the Hawks. Queensland has Victoria as a hotspot but the Lions have to go there and play while the Saints can’t come to Brisbane.
We need practise at the G so this is not a bad thing.

We need practise at the G so this is not a bad thing.
I believe the Dockers played at Metricon today and are due to play Richmond (who are in Melbourne) in Perth next week
We play Dockers the following week as an away Perth game. Maybe that could get switched to Metricon next week.
Not fair on Dockers but can't see them foregoing another Optus home game v Tigers next week who are in Melbourne.
Docker would obviously prefer both games played at Optus as scheduled but WA government a problem. That's why they are in Queensland
That's only thinking about us. The AFL have to look at the full next round or three

Not sure what the AFL will do.
Melbourne/Victoria may lift lockdown but doubtful after the street protests on the weekend
Victoria/Melbourne may extend lockdown for another 3 days because of protests to see what happens covid wise

If Lions go to Melbourne we might get stuck their for a month so possibly lose 2 Gabba games. Depending on Covid hotspots and Qld Government
For me I am more worried about making top 4 than playing at the "G"

I believe the Dockers played at Metricon today and are due to play Richmond (who are in Melbourne) in Perth next week
We play Dockers the following week as an away Perth game. Maybe that could get switched to Metricon next week.
Not fair on Dockers but can't see them foregoing another Optus home game v Tigers next week who are in Melbourne.
Docker would obviously prefer both games played at Optus as scheduled but WA government a problem. That's why they are in Queensland
That's only thinking about us. The AFL have to look at the full next round or three

Not sure what the AFL will do.
Melbourne/Victoria may lift lockdown but doubtful after the street protests on the weekend
Victoria/Melbourne may extend lockdown for another 3 days because of protests to see what happens covid wise

If Lions go to Melbourne we might get stuck their for a month so possibly lose 2 Gabba games. Depending on Covid hotspots and Qld Government
For me I am more worried about making top 4 than playing at the "G"
Please no more Metricon.
The only way it happen is with Government exemptions

Gardiner did the same as Josh Dunkley but 2 weeks later. Dunkley has returned to play. Reckon we will see him later in the year. Possibly before finals.

Does Dunkley have the same shoulder history as Gardiner. He spoke on the roar deal recently and I got the impression he was some way off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a lot of commentary the past few weeks about how Joe hasn't been able to work as a main spearhead.

Daniher should kick a few goals this week and puts him on track to reach the 2nd highest goal tally of his career.

For someone that the Melbourne media fawned over for years - it's a pretty harsh assessment.

Will be pretty risky to send in cockatoo straight into a finals level intensity with no senior game time under his belt.

If we plan to play him at some stage come finals he needs to play upwards of 50% in at least 2-3 games in the lead up.
Ideally.

Please no more Metricon.
The only way it happen is with Government exemptions
Better than Melbourne or Perth
At least Dockers & Lions are in Queensland
Not saying it will happen
Have no idea what AFL can arrange to keep within State Governments covid travel rules and next weeks AFL draw

The AFL have Essendon v Sydney who are presently in Brisbane playing at Marvel on Friday night
I suppose AFL have multiple plans ready.
We will find out in the next few days

Heard a lot of commentary the past few weeks about how Joe hasn't been able to work as a main spearhead.

Daniher should kick a few goals this week and puts him on track to reach the 2nd highest goal tally of his career.

For someone that the Melbourne media fawned over for years - it's a pretty harsh assessment.
The problem with the commentary you are hearing is maybe these people have not being watching the lions games this year. He has not played solely as a full forward for the whole year, ( alot of time in ruck and roaming all over the ground) so IMO people can't judge him on goals this year as has not played that sole full forward role.

The problem with the commentary you are hearing is maybe these people have not being watching the lions games this year. He has not played solely as a full forward for the whole year, ( alot of time in ruck and roaming all over the ground) so IMO people can't judge him on goals this year as has not played that sole full forward role.

The guys kicked 33 goals playing as a forward/ruck with 4 rounds left. He’s on track for a 45 goal season. How many forward/rucks have done that in recent memory?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't think Birchall or Ah Chee will get dropped. The worry with Birchall is that when the game was hot he kicked it straight to the opposition under no pressure three times. Something he never did.

Likely no change. I've been a defender of Birchall but I'm wavering.

That's my knock on Birchall - his strength was his pinpoint attacking kick and for most of the year he takes the simple sideways 20m kick that's 'safe'.

I figure the coaches are backing him to get confident and return to that consistent form.

Given he has played quite a few games in a successfull team where the pressure was low and there were opportunities to take chances to regain confidence, I don't see it happening myself.

Might be as simple as the fire has gone out. Compare his efforts to Mitch's, and it looks like he is just going through the motions. Still got an upside, but missing the edge.

That's my knock on Birchall - his strength was his pinpoint attacking kick and for most of the year he takes the simple sideways 20m kick that's 'safe'.

I figure the coaches are backing him to get confident and return to that consistent form.

Given he has played quite a few games in a successfull team where the pressure was low and there were opportunities to take chances to regain confidence, I don't see it happening myself.

Might be as simple as the fire has gone out. Compare his efforts to Mitch's, and it looks like he is just going through the motions. Still got an upside, but missing the edge.
Part of our problem is in games we have been stagnet , not enough movement to create space or simply demanding the footy when you run into space.
Once we start moving our kicks are easier and easier to kick to advantage.
I've given up on finding that player in our side that can pull off those pinpoint risky passes, it's impossible when we don't move.
Also gold Coast did this to us in the first half , wasn't about one particular player pulling off great kicks just good movement and what we didn't possess in the first , "Teamwork".

Birchall argument I am starting to agree although who takes his spot?
VFL team from yesterday.
Kiddy had one game HB did some nice things. Although one game.. 2-3 weeks playing back maybe.
Ballenden moved to forward line yesterday.. still not sure how he go in AFL playing the sweeping role.
Cockatoo not playing back in VFL anymore. Mid-forward kicked 2 goals.
Prior not sure at the moment he gone past Birchall played on the wing yesterday it seemed
leaves Carter Micheal and B Smith.. both not been setting the world on fire and B Smith has some disposal issues

So then leaves pushing Ah Chee back and bring in Cockatoo forward. I feel Ah Chee works better in the forward line
Although like to get games into Cockatoo while keeping Dev in the team.. So maybe only choice Ah Chee back again.

Part of our problem is in games we have been stagnet , not enough movement to create space or simply demanding the footy when you run into space.
Once we start moving our kicks are easier and easier to kick to advantage.
I've given up on finding that player in our side that can pull off those pinpoint risky passes, it's impossible when we don't move.
Also gold Coast did this to us in the first half , wasn't about one particular player pulling off great kicks just good movement and what we didn't possess in the first , "Teamwork".
interesting watching the VFL feed from one camera.. Lots just stand there wait for the kick out of def 50.. Everyone in zones.
Then when it out of our forward 50 the other way players in space and they chip it out to they hit our zone further out.

Birchall argument I am starting to agree although who takes his spot?
VFL team from yesterday.
Kiddy had one game HB did some nice things. Although one game.. 2-3 weeks playing back maybe.
Ballenden moved to forward line yesterday.. still not sure how he go in AFL playing the sweeping role.
Cockatoo not playing back in VFL anymore. Mid-forward kicked 2 goals.
Prior not sure at the moment he gone past Birchall played on the wing yesterday it seemed
leaves Carter Micheal and B Smith.. both not been setting the world on fire and B Smith has some disposal issues

So then leaves pushing Ah Chee back and bring in Cockatoo forward. I feel Ah Chee works better in the forward line
Although like to get games into Cockatoo while keeping Dev in the team.. So maybe only choice Ah Chee back again.
Prior is the obvious option that's not currently in the team. If you're not sure he's gone past Birchall then you're not dropping Birchall, because Prior is definitely better than Michael or Smith at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back