Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His gameplan clearly had Sydney (one of the form sides of the comp) reeling in the first quarter, they had no answer for the way we won the ball, moved the ball and structured our defence and it even held up in the second quarter after Sydney addressed our dominance. He can obviously coach, and coach well. Just needs the cattle. It's very obvious.

Ok you may be right.

How do you go about it.

Do we hit the draft hard and go down the ladder even more then have a good go in 3 to 4 years time.

Or Keep as much talent we have, top up with players with the right attitude/ability and have a crack next year and beyond.

The posters on here are split.

His gameplan clearly had Sydney (one of the form sides of the comp) reeling in the first quarter, they had no answer for the way we won the ball, moved the ball and structured our defence and it even held up in the second quarter after Sydney addressed our dominance. He can obviously coach, and coach well. Just needs the cattle. It's very obvious.

Who would have thought that a team on the cusp of the 8 might be affected by losing two key forwards before the game before losing their captain and Brownlow medal midfielder and Walters during the game. Mundy had a down game so our midfield was being led by 2 21 year olds and a 20 year old.

JL you are starting to lose me. You better show us a game plan.
Absolutely !
Getting a big tired of this potting the coach crap .
it’s such an easy cop out .
Treacy and Switta would have made a huge difference today and how was he to control that outcome?
Then a shocking run of injuries to 4 of our key players left us critically exposed and Swans went for the throat .
My only criticism of JLo was playing Fyfe , He played admirably well in the first half considering he should have never even been out there , but this was an opportunity to start Blakely and let him build some confidence, not keep bringing him on when our backs are against the wall and pressure is extreme.

Who would have thought that a team on the cusp of the 8 might be affected by losing two key forwards before the game before losing their captain and Brownlow medal midfielder and Walters during the game. Mundy had a down game so our midfield was being led by 2 21 year olds and a 20 year old.

Not to mention our FF was underdone and rusty, and Darcy was not fit enough to play.

It's the lack of effort from the players.
No pressure on the opposition. Dropping their heads far too easily.
The lack of a plan b.
JL doesn't have what it takes as big boss.

Doesnt have what it takes? or doesnt have the best players on the park ? Lets be realistic here...

I agree with the (more balanced) arguments from both sides on here.

JLo has clearly been able to implement his style on the team and there's been a rapid and significant change in the way we play. I think the speed of our ball movement and particularly our ability to hit our forwards has improved dramatically in a short time compared to our last few years under Lyon. I don't think a poor coach can make an impact like that.

But there's still question marks over his ability to motivate the team and inspire the consistent hardness needed to take the next step. How much of that is coach-dependant and how much is the natural inconsistency characteristic of young, developing teams remains to be seen.

takes no talent to tackle

Leading the comp in tackles doesn't make you a talented nor successful team either. I usually view the better team as having less tackles because they've got the ball more often.

I do acknowledge that we can improve in this area, especially sticking attempted tackles but I also don't necessarily see that as totally the head coaches responsibility. And I know for a fact that we do train and practice tackling a lot.

Leading the comp in tackles doesn't make you a talented nor successful team either. I usually view the better team as having less tackles because they've got the ball more often.

I do acknowledge that we can improve in this area, especially sticking attempted tackles but I also don't necessarily see that as totally the head coaches responsibility. And I know for a fact that we do train and practice tackling a lot.
Tackling is a sign of effort. Putting on pressure. That we're sitting 18th for tackles is a huge problem.

Absolutely !
Getting a big tired of this potting the coach crap .
it’s such an easy cop out .
Treacy and Switta would have made a huge difference today and how was he to control that outcome?
Then a shocking run of injuries to 4 of our key players left us critically exposed and Swans went for the throat .
My only criticism of JLo was playing Fyfe , He played admirably well in the first half considering he should have never even been out there , but this was an opportunity to start Blakely and let him build some confidence, not keep bringing him on when our backs are against the wall and pressure is extreme.
I'm not particularly potting Longmuir, and expect rookie coaches to take time, but Fyfe and Darcy need to finish for the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not particularly potting Longmuir, and expect rookie coaches to take time, but Fyfe and Darcy need to finish for the year.
Fyfe is our for the season. Should’ve been after Bulldogs . But finals was on the radar. Darcy just keeps soldiering on.
They need to draft two or three talls is even more relevance this off season.
Tabs has played 10.5 games. Lobb was out for the first 4 weeks and injured again. Pearce has been gone for nearly two seasons. Hamling effectively hasn’t played for 3 yeasa by 2022. JLo is short changed and having to play Schulz, Crowden, Henry and hope for the best

Tackling is a sign of effort. Putting on pressure. That we're sitting 18th for tackles is a huge problem.
I agree
It’s pretty poor and we need to improve
We used to be much better under Ross .
Just sticking the tackles we make would be good too .
There must be something in the game plan perhaps encouraging them not to go to ground so they can provide second, third efforts?
I say this because guys like Schultz and Crowden used to be tackling machines but now seem to cover more ground Instead?
I feel it will improve as the team is filtered to the best 22 and the young guys build body and confidence.

Longmuir has won a premiership yet Sydney still sort out Pyke.
WC are apparently looking at Harvey if he doesn’t get the gig at Pies.
To say we are inexperienced in the box is an understatement.
Bell end is another story.

Cool. I'd ask the same question of all those people. I can't just check out so I'm wondering what's going on for people that feel they need to. If it's a grandstanding kind of thing then that's different. Theres a melt thread for that.
Well I can't speak for Sumavich, but I'm feeling much the same way as him. For me, I need to see ACTUAL physical evidence of an upward trajectory in terms of a win/loss ratio. I don't care how asinine or one-dimensional that may appear on the surface, and I'm not interested in other key performance indicators that may indicate an enhanced game plan or style of play. It simply isn't good enough to have achieved, 8, 8, 9, 7 and 8* wins in the last five years. You can't roll a turd in glitter and pretend it's no longer a turd.

Longmuir has won a premiership yet Sydney still sort out Pyke.
WC are apparently looking at Harvey if he doesn’t get the gig at Pies.
To say we are inexperienced in the box is an understatement.
Bell end is another story.
why the disrespect for Bell? It’s unnecessary

and it’s Longmire ffs

I think he’s a good coach and he’s implemented a gameplan that looks great when it’s on. I’ve actually been impressed by how quick he changed things both last year and this. Our defence was excellent last year and this year some of our transition work has been elite only to be undone by inexplicable stupidity by players and poor shooting on goal. He seems to be able to implement a gameplan pretty well, he has a lot to show for:
A) Instilling hardness intro the guys
B) This might tie into A but whatever the fu** our team is doing in regards to tackle pressure. We seem to prioritise holding space then tackling and trusting the next one in to cover your man. This does not work against better teams, yet alone in finals. There needs to be a 500% increase in sticking tackles and actual tackles attempted

I agree with this.... Some how its similar to Ross Lyons coaching era of 2012-19.

Defence has been very good. Midfield is good. Forward line is garbage but in some way, some of the problems lie with the connections between midfield and forward line.

Accuracy for set shots at goals are hurting us too.

Saying that, I would love a prime Ballantyne, Mayne and Crowley up foward with their tackling and forward pressure with Tabs and Lobb as out tall forwards. It would work. Sure freo would be a medium scoring side scroing 11-14 goals a game, but we would win our fair share of games.

I agree.

At the end of the day we all hate the Dockers, but we also love them. We all hate each other on here, but we're all in it together until we win the Cup.

We're at the cross roads atm. Do we go hard in the draft or do we bring in experienced players...or my favourite do both! Coaches contract? Star Players contracts?

We're in no mans land tbh, we don't know what to think, the club has no idea what's going on too and what's their next move. Should be an interesting off season.
Bwahahahahaha. I dont mind most of the posters on here barring one or 2 of the freo posters. But from what I am seeing.... Freo are in a fork on the road. Do we trade or recruit mature players from other clubs or chase more kids in the draft? Topping up makes the list older.

I will say this....

If our picks stay the same.... We need another mid and tall forward with our 1st and 2nd rounders.

So if freo uses the 1st rounder on a tall forward, use the 2nd rounder on a mid. If freo uses the 1st rounder on a good inside mid, use the 2nd rounder on a 190cm medium tall or another KPF.

Ok you may be right.

How do you go about it.

Do we hit the draft hard and go down the ladder even more then have a good go in 3 to 4 years time.

Or Keep as much talent we have, top up with players with the right attitude/ability and have a crack next year and beyond.

The posters on here are split.
I am sure the posters are split. Freo are on the cusps of finals.

I agree
It’s pretty poor and we need to improve
We used to be much better under Ross .
Just sticking the tackles we make would be good too .
There must be something in the game plan perhaps encouraging them not to go to ground so they can provide second, third efforts?
I say this because guys like Schultz and Crowden used to be tackling machines but now seem to cover more ground Instead?
I feel it will improve as the team is filtered to the best 22 and the young guys build body and confidence.
Tackling is just one aspect. It's a byproduct of applying pressure. Sydney didn't seem under much pressure a lot of the time.

Ross had a different style, he was good for a while but ran out of juice. I'm happy with Longmuir but quite a few of our players are easily rattled.

why the disrespect for Bell? It’s unnecessary

and it’s Longmire ffs
I was wondering the same. Why don't people like Belly anymore? Remember the days of the bell ringing in the stadium. Seemed an intelligent and reliable player.

Tackling is just one aspect. It's a byproduct of applying pressure. Sydney didn't seem under much pressure a lot of the time.

Ross had a different style, he was good for a while but ran out of juice. I'm happy Longmuir but quite a few of our players are easily rattled.
Thought our pressure particularly along the forward 50 line was really good for parts of the game but I agree there where patches where Sydney were just walking around with the ball .
We just can’t capitalise when we go inside 50 despite so much effort getting it in there .
I was really disappointed with Shultz today .
I’ve usually got his back but he was very poor .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back