zac Merrett is no Gary odonnell
dyson Heppell is no mark harvey
tippa is no Michael long
cale hooker is no Paul salmon
we have no leadership
we have A losing mentality that seems to permeate through our club
the above statement is symptomatic of this
cool i love living in the past

Typical Essendon moves bringing back Shiel after no conditioning in the reserves and dropping Guelfi for Zaka despite Guelf doing a decent job last week. A real throwback to 2019.

Collective work rate by our midfield was diabolical and Wright was the only guy in the forward line who consistently led at the ball carrier all night. We've gone backwards in the space of 2 weeks and backwards in a big way.
Dropping Guelfi ahead of Smith is a blemish on the new coaching crew.
Poor decision.
Bringing Zaka in too. Could have waited for the last round to give him a run before he retires.

Still been a better year than expected. But still a ways to go.
Probably ideal not to make finals and get smashed.

By my count (admittedly often wrong count) that’s the second oldest team we’ve fielded all year. Who the fk cares about scraping into 8th we should firmly be in development mode.

Observations from the game:

- Durham is a jet

- Laverde is a ball stopper who only ever goes 15 meters sideways or long down the line. Not ready to hang him for it yet but he really needs to improve in this area

- Tippa just clearly doesn’t know how to be an effective member of our team defence and can’t be hidden at FF because Hooker is too slow to effectively defend the field.

- Heppell had his first poor game for the year. Fumbely, called for the ball when he shouldn’t have and was average by hand and foot.

- Parish decided that because he was being tagged he didn’t have to work when GWS had the ball.

- Tippa’s kick was 15m but just take the shot FFS

- GWS deserve to make finals. Been screwed by Covid and would have beaten Sydney last week if not for injury.

- Smith not making the distance from 30m happens way too often needs to stop calling for the ball when guys are within range.

- Not having a plan for Whitfield was such an Essendon thing to do. I’m not saying we have to tag but he can’t be given so much space.

- Shiel will be better for the run. Didn’t look like he attended many centre bounces though.

- Please don’t play Zaka unless it’s for a farewell game.

Anyone feel that maybe our players are a little peeved about being stuck in QLD and perhaps lost a bit of care factor? Just a thought. It’s not an excuse for that effort by our midfield though.
If that is the case they are never going to be winners
they are professional footballers-not sure we have a father in our squad
excuse culture 101

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the giants play kick to kick all night.

This defensive set up is really worrying.

We arent that young. Four months per player younger than the top of the table doggies team that beat Melbourne this week. It’s not an excuse. There is still a lack of talent on the list, a lack of size, skill and pace.

Disappointing second half, definitely, no denying that.

Long season, so many away games, away from home now for several weeks, neutral venue… it has caught up with us. Both sides had quality players missing and if this game was at Marvel then who knows how it ends up?

I think we can shelve those unexpected finals plans for good and focus on 2022. Which won’t be a bad thing!

I am not going to let one underwhelming half of football though dictate how I feel about this year though. The gains have far outweighed the disappointments.

Let’s do our best in these last 4 games and try and win a couple of them and focus on next year.

Shiel wasn’t our worst player tonight at all but I feel we were a bit unsettled in the centre with him back. As always, takes a few weeks to adjust when players return. Their midfield after half time led the way and is the sole reason they won… rather than anything horrible we did.

Hopefully our next game can be at Marvel.

They were too good. We looked like a young side that's run out of petrol. Some of the reactions in here are OTT. People need to get some perspective. At the start of the season no one thought we'd have the number of wins we have or be fighting for a spot in the eight. So we don't nake it, it's not the end of the world.

We arent that young. Four months per player younger than the top of the table doggies team that beat Melbourne this week. It’s not an excuse. There is still a lack of talent on the list, a lack of size, skill and pace.

10 months younger on average than GWS tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can get away with a couple of outside players but when you have Ham, Zakka and Cutler in the same side you deserve what you get !

Zaharakis over Guelfi was a confusing one, Guelfi goes out and gives 100% each week, was weird to drop him after a pretty strong game.

Waterman out, Shiel in, Guelfi stays with a bit of a reshuffle would have been better.

Very pedestrian tonight.....no initiative by anyone, sloppy with the ball, no forward structure and clearly didn't work hard enough. A team that looked cooked tonight doesn't help almost playing every game.interstate.....Zaka and Hooker can't go on....smith and Tippa together too slow in the same forward line....

Perkins and Cox....well done tonight.....the only highlights on a dissappointing night....

God help us against Syd and Bulldogs....could be ugly

Greene, Flynn, De Boer, Angwin, Keefe, Hill, Stone, Preuss.

Lol

Greene yes. I’ll give you Hill and De Boer at a stretch.

I’m across most AFL lists and the other 6 are not
Best 22 at the Giants. Period.

McGrath, Hurley/Francis, Langford, Caldwell, Hardy Jones are at Essendon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of flexibility in the squad seriously hurt us today. Nearly every single week a club sends a tagger to one of parish/merrret, yet we don't respond at all. Whitfield carved us up today, with how ineffectual our mids were, thought sending someone to him in a negating role would've been a good move.
Agree.

Teams cut us apart bringing it out of D50 anyway, so it's not like we can argue running with a tagger would ruin our structure

Is it fair to say Ben rutten didn’t have a great night?
selection was off
showed no creativity to arrest the slump
did not react to gws tactics
coaches like players have good and bad nights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back