AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
k.hughes
g.matthews
c.miller

worth honorable mentions ?
Could keep rattling them off tbh. Rogers, G Marsh, Yallop, P Hughes, Khawaja, Hodge, Labuschagne, Hookes, Voges, Paine, Hilfenhaus, Siddle, May, Rackemann, Pascoe, Kasprowicz

Bevan, Dave Hussey, Law, Moody & Bracken in ODIs.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geez, Cummins is stiff to not make this squad.
Yeah Patty Cummins over Lee, that said I don’t think Lee’s stats fully do him justice. Was always there to bowl with out and out pace and aggression to complement the control of McGrath. Post McGrath he was showing that he could bowl with control and get wickets through skill instead of solely relying on raw pace as he stepped up to lead the attack then broke his ankle badly and gave it away

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Am going away from the format slightly, picking a first and second XII

First XII

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Border (c)
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Lee
McGrath

Second XII

Taylor (c)
Boon
Jones
M Waugh
Hussey
Clarke
Healy
Johnson
Gillespie
McDermott
Lyon

Toss of the coin between Clarke and Martyn for mine, but went for Clarke just.

Bareth Garry

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Am going away from the format slightly, picking a first and second XII

First XII

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Border (c)
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Lee
McGrath

Second XII

Taylor (c)
Boon
Jones
M Waugh
Hussey
Clarke
Healy
Johnson
Gillespie
McDermott
Lyon

Toss of the coin between Clarke and Martyn for mine, but went for Clarke just.

Was a big fan of Martyn but in that contest I'd go Clarke easily. His peak level in 2011-2013 was arguably the best performing batsman in the world. And he was doing it in what was a pretty mediocre Australia team which was trying to find a new identity after the old guard were no longer around.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Was a big fan of Martyn but in that contest I'd go Clarke easily. His peak level in 2011-2013 was arguably the best performing batsman in the world. And he was doing it in what was a pretty mediocre Australia team which was trying to find a new identity after the old guard were no longer around.

Clarke could also be useful with the ball, especially earlier in his career, and was a better fielder than Martyn. That is taking nothing away from Martyn’s fielding which was very good, but Clarke was world class in the field.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
3 openers : M.Taylor, M.Slater, D.Warner
5 middle order bats : R.Ponting, A. Border, S.Smith, S.Waugh, M.Hussey
2 wicket keepers : I.Healy, A.Gilchrist
2 spinners : S.Warne, S.MacGill
5 quicks : G.McGrath, P.Cummins, J. Gillespie, C.McDermott, R. Harris
1 player of your own choice/wildcard : M.Johnson

Not too controversial, took Hussey over M.Clarke because he could open if required, and he's another leftie. I was never a Hayden fan but he could be in there obv.

Johnson the wildcard because if I can have him in his prime he's the scariest i've seen.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Players I DIDN'T see:

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Neil Harvey
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Bery Oldfield +
Bill OReilly
Dennis Lillee

Clarrie Grimmett
Bill Johnston
CTB Turner
Victor Trumper
Bill Lawry
Rod Marsh

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not too controversial, took Hussey over M.Clarke because he could open if required, and he's another leftie. I was never a Hayden fan but he could be in there obv.

Johnson the wildcard because if I can have him in his prime he's the scariest i've seen.
Lol Warner and no Hayden

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

awesome squad.

no love for Haydos ?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We are picking a squad of 18 to play 'test' cricket all around the world in all types of conditions.

From the players you have seen, who are you taking ?

For your squad you must select:

3 openers
5 middle order bats
2 wicket keepers
2 spinners
5 quicks
1 player of your own choice/wildcard (eg. if you want an extra quick or allrounder or just a fave player to take on tour etc)

Pick your first XI and the 7 reserves.
Mark Taylor (captain)
Michael Slater
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Dennis Lillee
Glen McGrath

Mark Waugh (middle order reserve batsman)
Steve Smith (middle or later order reserve batsman)
Ian Healy (better keeper than Gilly but I picking the allrounder in the first XI)
Mitchell Johnson (left armer option if any of top three pace guys injured)
Pat Cummins (just misses out to Gillespie but flip of coin between them) 12th man as a result
Craig McDermott (like Johnson and Starc when he was at his best he was awesome but not as reliable as the three pacers in first XI)
Nathan Lyon (off spin option if the deck demands two spinners)

Apologies to Ian Chappell and Jeff Thomson. Caught very end of their careers as veterans but their careers were more about early or mid 70's so I cannot consider them

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol Warner and no Hayden
I was never a Hayden fan. Good against spin, and was epic in India, but got found out when the opposition actually had a decent pace attack and we needed him to stand up. I'd actually pick Langer over him as an opener also.

Probably fair to say you'd ideally take Warner in Australia and South Africa, Hayden in the subcontinent, and maybe Tubby in England.

On reflection, the lot of them can get ****ed and I'll take Boon to open, who I completely forgot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was never a Hayden fan. Good against spin, and was epic in India, but got found out when the opposition actually had a decent pace attack and we needed him to stand up. I'd actually pick Langer over him as an opener also.

Probably fair to say you'd ideally take Warner in Australia and South Africa, Hayden in the subcontinent, and maybe Tubby in England.

On reflection, the lot of them can get f’ed and I'll take Boon to open, who I completely forgot.

You would never take Warner anywhere over Hayden. Warner is the definition of flat track bully

Warner is a complete liability anywhere outside of Australia has failed terribly time and time again overseas. Just because he piles on soft runs at home against weak opponents, he isn’t fit to carry Hayden’s bags

I mean you could of got Hayden out of retirement in the 2019 ashes stuck a blindfold on him and he could of still matched Warner’s output

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
You would never take Warner anywhere over Hayden. Warner is the definition of flat track bully

Warner is a complete liability anywhere outside of Australia has failed terribly time and time again overseas.
Just because he piles on soft runs at home against weak opponents, he isn’t fit to carry Hayden’s bags

I mean you could of got Hayden out of retirement in the 2019 ashes stuck a blindfold on him and he could of still matched Warner’s output
You would absolutely take Warner over Hayden in South Africa. The bloke made twin tons in a Test Match in South Africa facing a line-up of Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Abbott whereas Hayden had his struggles against good pace attacks.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
You would absolutely take Warner over Hayden in South Africa. The bloke made twin tons in a Test Match in South Africa facing a line-up of Steyn, Philander, Morkel and Abbott whereas Hayden had his struggles against good pace attacks.
Hayden’s two tours there when he was an established test player 540 runs at 49 with 2 hundreds and 3 50s it’s a myth that he struggled there

That's what makes picking these squads so difficult and why tragic like us devote hours to discussing them. Border for example, probably not in the top twenty of most talented batsmen I've seen but does his grit, the fact he pulled up a terrible team on his own and that he kept having to bat against the West Indies in their pomp up his degree of difficulty against someone who played in a dominant team and found themselves coming into bat at two for plenty.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hayden’s two tours there when he was an established test player 540 runs at 49 with 2 hundreds and 3 50s it’s a myth that he struggled there
The 02 series that he actually made runs in, the South African bowling attack was a basket case.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The 02 series that he actually made runs in, the South African bowling attack was a basket case.
Mate he averaged 49, you aren’t picking Warner. He would struggle to be in the top 6 of Aus openers in the last 30 years.

He averages roughly 65 at home and 32 away. Warner wouldn’t of even played test cricket in the 90s or 2000’s

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mate he averaged 49, you aren’t picking Warner. He would struggle to be in the top 6 of Aus openers in the last 30 years.

He averages roughly 65 at home and 32 away. Warner wouldn’t of even played test cricket in the 90s or 2000’s
And Warner averages 63 in South Africa?

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
my original post did say 'a squad to take on all conditions around the world'.

the most polarising player has been warner.

if warner retired tomorrow, has he done enough to be in your squad.

if not how much more does he have to do?

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
my original post did say 'a squad to take on all conditions around the world'.

the most polarising player has been warner.

if warner retired tomorrow, has he done enough to be in your squad.

if not how much more does he have to do?
Make runs overseas, has a terrible record in India and England. He just makes runs on roads in Australia he is the definition of flat track bully. Yeah he is a good player but he is not a great player

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Warner is a complete liability anywhere outside of Australia has failed terribly time and time again overseas. Just because he piles on soft runs at home against weak opponents, he isn’t fit to carry Hayden’s bags

What a dumb post. Seriously. I said you'd take him to SA over Hayden. Warner averages 63 in SA. Hayden averages 34. Near enough double.

Learn a bit about cricket. He doesn't just pile on "soft runs at home". He's clearly better and more comfortable on bouncy tracks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back