Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just wondering on what makes Wardlaw such an elite prospect and how far away is Tsatas, as it seems he has possibly more upside.
Also are their any good talls which could go top 10 or 5?
Wardlaw is a warrior in the centre, he crashes and bashes like Horne as well as using the ball effectively with a handball or a kick to team mates, tackling like a beast and being in the play a lot to accumulate (was bog for Oakleigh recently i hear) he also has a great build for a mid and can run through traffic with agility, smarts and composure, even when resting in the forward line he was a creative piece for his team.

Tsatas has elite disposal and good run and carry for an outside mid, i hear he can also play inside mid, but he wouldnt have time inside to use his strengths which are elite kick and run and carry as much, he lacked a bit of impact for me to call him elite at the u17 champs (2 games) but has a heap of talent no doubt and at this stage i think is top 10 maybe even top 5.

I have 2 talls going first round at this stage, both from SA, Max Michalanny and Isaac Keeler

Wardlaw is a warrior in the centre, he crashes and bashes like Horne as well as using the ball effectively with a handball or a kick to team mates, tackling like a beast and being in the play a lot to accumulate (was bog for Oakleigh recently i hear) he also has a great build for a mid and can run through traffic with agility, smarts and composure, even when resting in the forward line he was a creative piece for his team.

Tsatas has elite disposal and good run and carry for an outside mid, i hear he can also play inside mid, but he wouldnt have time inside to use his strengths which are elite kick and run and carry as much, he lacked a bit of impact for me to call him elite at the u17 champs (2 games) but has a heap of talent no doubt and at this stage i think is top 10 maybe even top 5.

I have 2 talls going first round at this stage, both from SA, Max Michalanny and Isaac Keeler
Might be another tall to add to those 2 SA lads mate.
199cm athletic KPF Harry Lemmey looked pretty good in his SANFL League debut for West Adelaide against Port Adelaide's SANFL team on the weekend, gave AFL listed defender Tom Clurey quite a few headaches. Another footballer that's also a highly talented cricketer (fast bowler/batsman). Impressing at SA College level too.

Might be another tall to add to those 2 SA lads mate.
199cm athletic KPF Harry Lemmey looked pretty good in his SANFL League debut for West Adelaide against Port Adelaide's SANFL team on the weekend, gave AFL listed defender Tom Clurey quite a few headaches. Another footballer that's also a highly talented cricketer (fast bowler/batsman). Impressing at SA College level too.

He was just outside that group i mentione as mid draft prospects, playing SANFL will help him gain attention and rise in the rankings.

Early Rough 2022 Ranking ranges(subject to change), things will change as i see more games before diminishing returns.

Will Ashcroft - VM - Elite
George Wardlaw - VM - Elite
Elijah Tsatas - VM - Top 10
Oliver Hollands - VC - Top 10
Jhye Clark - VC - Top 10
Jack Cleaver - WA - Top 10
Adam D'Aloia - SA - Top 10
Max Michalanny - SA - Top 10
Jonti Schuback - VC - 1st Round
Luke Michael - WA - 1st Round
Jed Hagan - WA - 1st Round
Jaiden Magor - SA - 1st Round
Isaac Keeler - SA - 1st Round
Blake Drury - VM - Top 30
Kai Windsor - VM - Top 30
Luke Teal - VM - Top 30
Harry Sheezel - VM - Top 30
Matthew Jefferson - VM - Top 30
Noah Long - VC - Top 30
Aaron Cadman - VC - Top 30
Mitch Szybkowski - VC - Top 30
Cooper Vickery - VC - Top 30
Max Clohessy - VC - Top 30
Alex Condon - WA - Top 30
Jedd Busslinger - WA - Top 30
Mitch Williams - WA - Top 30
Sam Gilbey - WA - Top 30
Nick Saddler - SA - Top 30
Mattaes Phillipou - SA - Top 30
Tyson Walls - SA - Top 30
Koby Cockshell - SA - Top 30
Lachlan Cowan - TAS - Top 30

Others to keep an eye out for at mid draft...

VM - Cooper Harvey, Ben Hempel, Cam MacKenzie, Matthew Payne
VC - Harvey Howe, Jacob Konstanty, Brayden George, Will Parkhouse, Felix Fogarty, Jack O'Sullivan
WA - Elijah Hewett, Conrad Williams, Jacob Evitt, Kane Bevan
SA - Will Verall, Harry Barnett, Austin McDonald, Harry Lemmey

Have yet to see the Northern Academies kids from this age group.

Be interesting to see how your WA listings go over the next 12 months.. Elijah Hewitt is likely to climb the rankings possible first rounder if he continues to develop the way he is going, tough inside mid who gets his own ball and hits the scoreboard consistently, Jed Hagan will hang around and possibly move up a bit as long as his shoulders hold together, Jack Cleaver is tough in PSA but when he plays against the bigger kids in colts and against the state u/19s the other day, he gets a bit gun shy and his disposal efficiency drops a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watched a few Brisbane games this year, how the hell did Dev Robertson not go top 15 in his draft year? Absolute mystery.

The main reason was his kicking, elite everywhere else but the clubs let him fly because he only kicked at about 67% efficiency

Top 40 update

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Matthew Roberts
6. Josh Fahey
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Sinn
9. Neil Erasmus
10. Matthew Johnson
11. Josh Rachele
12. Josh Ward
13. Josh Goater
14. Joshua Browne
15. Campbell Chesser
16. Ned Long
17. Jye Amiss
18. Josh Gibcus
19. Jacob Van Rooyen
20. Tyler Sonsie
21. Arlo Draper
22. Connor MacDonald
23. Judson Clarke
24. Toby Conway
25. Sam Banks
26. Bohdi Uwland
27. Tom Brown
28. Jack Williams
29. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
30. Mac Andrew
31. Morgan Ferres
32. Kai Lohmann
33. Darcy Wilmot
34. Cooper Hamilton
35. Hugh Jackson
36. Lewis Rayson
37. Corey Warner
38. Lachlan Rankin
39. Jase Burgoyne
40. Rhett Bazzo

There’s one kid I’d love to get a shot, he would be a good smoky to fill a team that needs a defender similar to Joel Corey/Corey Enright, plays with Bazzo at Swans Districts and Guildford Grammar. His name is Angus Laurison, about 6’3” and has about a 7’ wingspan. Grew up on a million acre station in the middle of NT and is as tough as nails. Classic pick 62 that could go on to play 250 games.

There’s one kid I’d love to get a shot, he would be a good smoky to fill a team that needs a defender similar to Joel Corey/Corey Enright, plays with Bazzo at Swans Districts and Guildford Grammar. His name is Angus Laurison, about 6’3” and has about a 7’ wingspan. Grew up on a million acre station in the middle of NT and is as tough as nails. Classic pick 62 that could go on to play 250 games.

That’d be a record wingspan differential in the NBA. Slight exaggeration maybe?

Be interesting to see how your WA listings go over the next 12 months.. Elijah Hewitt is likely to climb the rankings possible first rounder if he continues to develop the way he is going, tough inside mid who gets his own ball and hits the scoreboard consistently, Jed Hagan will hang around and possibly move up a bit as long as his shoulders hold together, Jack Cleaver is tough in PSA but when he plays against the bigger kids in colts and against the state u/19s the other day, he gets a bit gun shy and his disposal efficiency drops a lot.

Elijah Hewett is one that has apparently played a good game against the u19s, so probably should get a boost in potential from that performance and Brayden Georges 4 goals for Murray also increases his value so they both should be upgraded to the top 30 group, making it 34 strong at this early stage and maybe Lemmey as 35 which are good signs for the depth of the 2022 draft at this stage imo.

Phantom Draft
Phantom Draft

1. Coll - Nick Daicos
2. Western - Sam Darcy
3. NM - Jason Horne
4. Haw - Finn Callaghan
5. GWS - Josh Sinn
6. Adel - Matthew Roberts
7. GC - Ben Hobbs
8. Carl - Matthew Johnson
9. StK - Josh Goater
10. Frem - Neil Erasmus
11. GWS - Josh Fahey
12. Rich - Campbell Chesser
13. Ess - Josh Rachele
14. WCE - Joshua Browne
15. Syd - Jye Amiss
16. Bris - Josh Gibcus
17. Port - Josh Ward
18. Bris - Ned Long
19. Rich - Tyler Sonsie
20. GC - Jacob Van Rooyen
21. NM - Jack Williams
22. Haw - Connor MacDonald
23. Haw - Toby Conway
24. Adel - Arlo Draper
25. GC - Darcy Wilmot

KPFs
The KPFs in this draft are an interesting topic, so i thought i would cover them in some detail.

Sam Darcy 204cm very athletic and similar to the King Twins from 2018, which is why he is likely to go top 5 somewhere, averages around 5 goals in APS which is impressive, kicked 6 in a Vic Metro Trial game and a couple in the VM V VC game at windy hill, as well as having a couple of monster defence games for Oakleigh where he dominated the air off half back.

Jye Amiss 195cm 83kg Full Forward with reach and good accuracy, 10 games at Colts level for 41 goals at an impressive 4.1 per game also had a good trials game and kicked 3 in another u19 warmup game, likely to go somewhere in round 1.

Jacob Van Rooyen 194cm 88kg Athletic Leading Forward (Endurance) has played some WAFL 5 games for 3 goals, has had some illness this year with glandular fever, has also had a 3 game stint at Colts kicking 10 goals at 3.3 per game, great mark, runs all day, the perfect workhorse leading forward for modern football imo, should also go first round somewhere.

Jack Williams 195cm 91kg Strong Forward, has played 9 games at colts level for 24 goals going at 2.7 per game, kicked a nice long goal for the AFL Academy earlier in the year but has struggled for form recently, might slide to 2nd round with no great point of difference.

Last edited:
The KPFs in this draft are an interesting topic, so i thought i would cover them in some detail.

Sam Darcy 204cm very athletic and similar to the King Twins from 2018, which is why he is likely to go top 5 somewhere, averages around 5 goals in APS which is impressive, kicked 6 in a Vic Metro Trial game and a couple in the VM V VC game at windy hill, as well as having a couple of monster defence games for Oakleigh where he dominated the air off half back.

Jye Amiss 195cm 83kg Full Forward with reach and good accuracy, 10 games at Colts level for 41 goals at an impressive 4.1 per game also had a good trials game and kicked 3 in another u19 warmup game, likely to go somewhere in round 1.

Jacob Van Rooyen 194cm 88kg Athletic Leading Forward (Endurance) has played some WAFL 5 games for 3 goals, has had some illness this year with glandular fever, has also had a 3 game stint at Colts kicking 10 goals at 3.3 per game, great mark, runs all day, the perfect workhorse leading forward for modern football imo, should also go first round somewhere.

Jack Williams 195cm 91kg Strong Forward, has played 9 games at colts level for 24 goals going at 2.7 per game, kicked a nice long goal for the AFL Academy earlier in the year but has struggled for form recently, might slide to 2nd round with no great point of difference.
You guys get a really s**t deal not being able to watch any WA Colts footy, hopefully the Champs go ahead so you can all watch the WA players, especially the talls. You're on a hiding to nothing at the moment

Phantom Draft

1. Coll - Nick Daicos
2. Western - Sam Darcy
3. NM - Jason Horne
4. Haw - Finn Callaghan
5. GWS - Josh Sinn
6. Adel - Matthew Roberts
7. GC - Ben Hobbs
8. Carl - Matthew Johnson
9. StK - Josh Goater
10. Frem - Neil Erasmus
11. GWS - Josh Fahey
12. Rich - Campbell Chesser
13. Ess - Josh Rachele
14. WCE - Joshua Browne
15. Syd - Jye Amiss
16. Bris - Josh Gibcus
17. Port - Josh Ward
18. Bris - Ned Long
19. Rich - Tyler Sonsie
20. GC - Jacob Van Rooyen
21. NM - Jack Williams
22. Haw - Connor MacDonald
23. Haw - Toby Conway
24. Adel - Arlo Draper
25. GC - Darcy Wilmot

I must admit, we desperately need a proper inside midfielder at the Swans but there is something very attractive of having both McDonald and Amiss in the team. Basically locks in our forward line for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just how good is Erasmus..eDPS has a high opinion of him. What sort of a player is he
Oh, I have no idea what I'm talking about but I can give you my very unknowledgeable opinion.

He's the number 1 (realistic) player I want for Freo as a taller mid that could start forward before becoming a monster on the inside. McCluggage was a good comparison though from what I've seen given how he moves and finds the ball but his marking is better and his field kicking worse.

His best trait has been that he's stepped up in every bigger game. I watched him in the Colts GF last year wondering where this kid had come from because he was pretty much BOG IMO and he was good in the academy game early in the year

He's one that could lock into top 5 IMO if the Champs go ahead because I have no doubt he'd make a statement

Oh, I have no idea what I'm talking about but I can give you my very unknowledgeable opinion.

He's the number 1 (realistic) player I want for Freo as a taller mid that could start forward before becoming a monster on the inside. McCluggage was a good comparison though from what I've seen given how he moves and finds the ball but his marking is better and his field kicking worse.

His best trait has been that he's stepped up in every bigger game. I watched him in the Colts GF last year wondering where this kid had come from because he was pretty much BOG IMO and he was good in the academy game early in the year

He's one that could lock into top 5 IMO if the Champs go ahead because I have no doubt he'd make a statement
Thanks for the info. I am getting a sneaking suspicion that all this talk about Horne being the be all and end all might be a bit premature as we don't see the WA kids much and there is obviously limited exposure of the vic kids. Goater is another that I am interested in around our pick, along with Erasmus and Roberts. Really, I suspect in that top half of the 1st round picks excluding F/S, all the mids are going to be alright

Your view of WA’s KPP’s?
I probably have even less of a clue on these guys compared to Erasmus? Why do you think I lament the fact the draft watchers cant get access to watch the WA kids? I need them to make my opinion for me...

Anything I say will just be regurgitated from the actual watchers as JVR is the only one I've been able to watch and that was when he had glandular fever in teh academy game and looked pretty average

I probably have even less of a clue on these guys compared to Erasmus? Why do you think I lament the fact the draft watchers cant get access to watch the WA kids? I need them to make my opinion for me...

Anything I say will just be regurgitated from the actual watchers as JVR is the only one I've been able to watch and that was when he had glandular fever in teh academy game and looked pretty average
JVR was in the losing team in the WAFL Colts grand final and looked like a good prospect, i also jumped on board the Erasmus bandwagon after watching that grand final, i searched his name on bigfooty and no one else had mentioned him at that point(in my 2020 thread), Matthew Johnson also made an impression on me in last years grand final, since then they have done well, especially Erasmus, people were querying my excitement for Erasmus late last year/ Early this year until the academy game, but now it seems he is a certain 1st rounder.

Last edited:
Even though its been a disrupted year, it has been great to see some u18/19 footy this year, last year was so hard to know about the draft pool with the majority missing and no champs, lets hope we get a full champs so we can finalise our draft predictions and may we all have different top 30s.....

I am genuinely curious at what height you are deemed a KPF. Theres a couple kids running around in SA and WA that are around the 190 cm mark and have been averaging 4 goals a game. It makes me wonder whether the focus is being put wholly on an individuals height, not their ability to impact the game and score goals.

I am genuinely curious at what height you are deemed a KPF. Theres a couple kids running around in SA and WA that are around the 190 cm mark and have been averaging 4 goals a game. It makes me wonder whether the focus is being put wholly on an individuals height, not their ability to impact the game and score goals.

190cm isn't a KPF. At best you are a medium forward at that size. I think the absolute minimum for a proper KPF is 193cm but in reality 195cm is a better size.

190cm isn't a KPF. At best you are a medium forward at that size. I think the absolute minimum for a proper KPF is 193cm but in reality 195cm is a better size.
Okay but tell me this, you've got Jack Darling, 191 cm and widely considered as a KPF working alongside Kennedy. What I am trying to get at is kids that are playing KPF in their draft year are simply going to be overlooked by recruiters because they arent what is considered a KPF in the AFL, even though they are averaging five goals a game, averaging more than what a lot of the KPF's are that are 195 cm.

It seems to be more about the role you play and the caliber of your opponent than your height.

Especially when you’re talking draftees that haven’t finished growing, but even in the seniors they can be as short as 193 or even 192.

Then you get these overgrown flankers at 196+ who couldn’t take an overhead mark if you paid them a million bucks a year.

It seems to be more about the role you play and the caliber of your opponent than your height.

Especially when you’re talking draftees that haven’t finished growing, but even in the seniors they can be as short as 193 or even 192.

Then you get these overgrown flankers at 196+ who couldn’t take an overhead mark if you paid them a million bucks a year.
Absolutely, I just think that there's a number of extremely talented and natural forwards in this year's draft pool, but barely hear about them. Went to an SA school game a month or two ago, saw a young bloke kick 8 against Zac Becker who is widely considered one of the better backmen in this SA draft class. Just think an individuals ability is being shrouded by the height they stand at. Similar examples ive seen in Vic recently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back