Discussion If you were to take over Champion Data, What would you change?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi folks,
We get plenty of anti CD posts each week. We all love a good rant.
If you got the job to write the rules of SC. What would you change?
For me personally its only a couple of things I would do differently.
1. Start of year pricing for rookies to be unchanged if they have played less than 3 games.
2. Introduction of a wild card once a year to cash your whole team in for same current value. This is a fantasy EPL wild card. Can be used any round. This will increase participation late in seasons. Also it adds a level of strategy to the game.
Anyone else have any ideas?
I guess more transparency in scoring is another.

Hi folks,
1. Start of year pricing for rookies to be unchanged if they have played less than 3 games.
2. Introduction of a wild card once a year to cash your whole team in for same current value. This is a fantasy EPL wild card. Can be used any round. This will increase participation late in seasons. Also it adds a level of strategy to the game.

Capture.PNG

Bring on the Cinooz...

Hi folks,
Up it to 3 trades per week and get the No Trades Club going off earlier.
Look at the scoring for disgusting gulls feasting on kick outs.
Clanger when under pressure should be rated differently to one when under no pressure.
No VC loophole. Your Capt / VC are locked in once first game starts.

No cap on points allocated, scaling gets ****ed in close games. Just score it normally and give more weight to goal-saving/score involvements when scaling.

Definitely transparency. Somebody might have an answer already, but I'd like to know why the scaling takes the time it does. Surely the computer program just takes into account when the points were scored by the player and what the scores were throughout the game. What do the people running it actually have to do?

If we're talking Champion Data, maybe play on possessions from kick ins are rewarded too much.
TBH i think that would make our teams too mid/ruck centric.
Getting more point into the forward line players would be my preference.
It would add PODs

TBH i think that would make our teams too mid/ruck centric.
Getting more point into the forward line players would be my preference.
It would add PODs
True, but am I correct in saying that Champion Data aren't directly concerned with fantasy (isn't this more Virtual Sports / Herald-Sun?), but a player's impact on an AFL game? I guess the kick ins are impact, but the player hasn't really done much to earn those points.

Kick in under 40 metres only worth 1 point
Kick in over 40 metres worth 2 MAX regardless of outcome. You don’t have to do any work to get the possession, you don’t have to run hard or make space or win the pill. No pressure. Score it accordingly

I think scoring around tackles should be changed too. +4s for arm taps is getting ridiculous
Tackle that results in stoppage +2
Tackle that results in turnover of possession/HTB scored as normal

Wildcard round idea is a good one too. Or at least one week per year where we can use like 5 trades per round but it’s at the discretion of the player when to activate

But honestly as long as there’s the subjective nature to scoring (which until we get OPTA level analysis like the EPL, there’s always going to be) we’re going to keep melting about interpretations and biases. Tis the game we play :moustache:

Definitely transparency. Somebody might have an answer already, but I'd like to know why the scaling takes the time it does. Surely the computer program just takes into account when the points were scored by the player and what the scores were throughout the game. What do the people running it actually have to do?
Ive always thought and i could be wrong.
That the peeps entering the data watching the games must have ''who did that handpass moments''
hit a button and go back to it at the next break of play and enter the correct person.

Ive always thought and i could be wrong.
That the peeps entering the data watching the games must have ''who did that handpass moments''
hit a button and go back to it at the next break of play and enter the correct person.
Yeah, you're probably right. If that's the case and it improves accuracy, it's a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick in over 40 metres worth 2 MAX regardless of outcome. You don’t have to do any work to get the possession, you don’t have to run hard or make space or win the pill. No pressure. Score it accordingly

I think scoring around tackles should be changed too. +4s for arm taps is getting ridiculous

Wildcard round idea is a good one too. Or at least one week per year where we can use like 5 trades per round but it’s at the discretion of the player when to activate

But honestly as long as there’s the subjective nature to scoring (which until we get OPTA level analysis like the EPL, there’s always going to be) we’re going to keep melting about interpretations and biases. Tis the game we play :moustache:
Spot on. :thumbsu:

EPL s the best fantasy game imo.
they run the following wild cards. all are once a year.
triple captain.
bench boost - all your bench points added to total score.
free hit - any trades you want, but they revert next week.
wild card- cash your whole team in.
Each adds epic strategy to the game.
The wild card is the obvious one we need imo.
If we have a covid drama and games are cancelled. the game can go on.
everyone gets a wild card.

There should be NO Scaling at the end of the game. If both teams score over or under 3300 points then so be it. Some games go around 3000 and then others the scoring stops 10 minutes into the final quarter where the points could possibly go to 3600. That would take some of the bias out of the scoring.

There should be NO Scaling at the end of the game. If both teams score over or under 3300 points then so be it. Some games go around 3000 and then others the scoring stops 10 minutes into the final quarter where the points could possibly go to 3600. That would take some of the bias out of the scoring.

Isn't the scoring cap in place so that wet games or low possession games are scored fairly? You get a dry indoor game and the points are huge compared to a wet windy game in Tassie.

Isn't the scoring cap in place so that wet games or low possession games are scored fairly? You get a dry indoor game and the points are huge compared to a wet windy game in Tassie.
at the moment a 100 average is a decent selection. Which is a nice round number.
If we add points to each game that will change.
It would also throw all previous years SC scores out of whack.
Nothing would be comparable.

That's where you need people who understand the game when rating efficiency. Is it fair that if the opposition team scores 20 points then a player gets 20 free kicks basically for doing nothing and quite often deliberatley to reset the play.

EPL s the best fantasy game imo.
they run the following wild cards. all are once a year.
triple captain.
bench boost - all your bench points added to total score.
free hit - any trades you want, but they revert next week.
wild card- cash your whole team in.
Each adds epic strategy to the game.
The wild card is the obvious one we need imo.
If we have a covid drama and games are cancelled. the game can go on.
everyone gets a wild card.
Bench boost is probably the only one there that I’d not be super keen to see. Triple captain at least has a level of risk involved because they can still flop but seems like bench boost is a bit no drawback to me.

The wild card would be epic. Would make MPM very very interesting if you can get it right and then turf your whole team to SPs proper in the second half of the year once all the mid pricers revert to type…

Good point, never thought of it that way.

However, I'd still prefer there to be no scoring cap - just like in real life footy scores / output will be affected by conditions / grounds etc.

Not CD more VS.

Lessen the % criteria for DPP.

More DPP especially for rookies.

Separate drop down menu for DPP.
As in click on DPP only then have tabs for field positions. Click Mid & FWD & you only get a list of DPP M/F.

Essentially a lot more DP action.

Bench boost is probably the only one there that I’d not be super keen to see. Triple captain at least has a level of risk involved because they can still flop but seems like bench boost is a bit no drawback to me.

The wild card would be epic. Would make MPM very very interesting if you can get it right and then turf your whole team to SPs proper in the second half of the year once all the mid pricers revert to type…
When do you use the bench boost?
1st round with everyone playing?
the week after your wild card?
when is the wild card best used?
r3 for 30 playing?
second bye round for overall?
finals week for leagues?
So many layers of strategy.

tbh i think the wild card wouldn't work in sc, way too strong, aren't as many players in epl fantasy where in sc, you can change 30, just too strong and too big a shift. Triple Captain would be great and I think the free hit would be perfect for bye rounds and would almost take bye planning out of the equation which i think we would all love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back