Rumour Carlton have the hots for Buckley

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hear me out here, If I'm a prospective coach carlton would actually be pretty attractive.

Their list is way better than their performance. A fully fit Cripps, docherty and curnow changes things dramatically plus another season into the kids. They have the likely Coleman medallist too.

Come in, change some game plans and cultural aspects. Make finals first year and look like a superstar?

Am I missing something?

The resistance to cultural change after decades of repeating the same mistakes, and the sheer scale of backroom politics exerted on the club by various individuals and groups that should have far less influence than they invariably do. All that on top of being a high profile Coach that will have the media laying in wait to make comments about sharpened knives in the background, every time something doesn't go right.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
The resistance to cultural change after decades of repeating the same mistakes, and the sheer scale of backroom politics exerted on the club by various individuals and groups that should have far less influence than they invariably do. All that on top of being a high profile Coach that will have the media laying in wait to make comments about sharpened knives in the background, every time something doesn't go right.

Fair assessment but it's not all doom and gloom from a playing list point of view. I actually have a bit of optimism for them going into next year.

Chairman Zia

All Australian
Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Carlton even today is still run like a family business.

This might have worked in the 70s and 80s where chucking big bags of cash will get the job done.

But in the 2020s.........

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hear me out here, If I'm a prospective coach carlton would actually be pretty attractive.

Their list is way better than their performance. A fully fit Cripps, docherty and curnow changes things dramatically plus another season into the kids. They have the likely Coleman medallist too.

Come in, change some game plans and cultural aspects. Make finals first year and look like a superstar?

Am I missing something?

The 16 spuds that make up the rest of the 22.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The 16 spuds that make up the rest of the 22.

Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Williams, Saad, McKay, Weitering, C. Curnow, Jones, Marchbank, Martin are all good enough to get a game at any club if fit. It's the next tier that's ****ed. Still, the right off season of drafting some mature agers and top end talent and can surge up the ladder fairly quickly IMO.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Williams, Saad, McKay, Weitering, C. Curnow, Jones, Marchbank, Martin are all good enough to get a game at any club if fit. It's the next tier that's f’ed. Still, the right off season of drafting some mature agers and top end talent and can surge up the ladder fairly quickly IMO.

There are a lot of question marks on a lot of those guys. Granted the bulk of any squad is made up of role players, it'd be a few years before the team is competitive.

I think there are other coaches we are more keen on too.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
What?

Its where coaching careers go to die for the last 30 years. Pagan, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague, Ratten, Brittain.
Coaching changes by all teams over the past 20 years, excluding GWS and GCS.

Essendon - 7
Melbourne - 6
Adelaide -6
Fremantle - 6
St. Kilda - 6
Carlton - 6
Western Bulldogs - 5
North - 5
Brisbane -4
Richmond - 3
Port - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Collingwood -2

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Essendon - 7
Melbourne - 6
Adelaide -6
Fremantle - 6
St. Kilda - 6
Carlton - 6
Western Bulldogs - 5
North - 5
Brisbane -4
Richmond - 3
Port - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Collingwood -2

How many of those were sacked midseason and/or midcontract?

A lot harder to find the stats, but I suspect Carlton might find themselves at the top of that list.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

A lot harder to find the stats, but I suspect Carlton might find themselves at the top of that list.
Possibly, but I don't see how that's pertinent. The coaches are either retained or released.
The top 6 teams (a third of the league) have had their coaches averaging roughly 3 years each.

The theory that only Carlton sack coaches, or Carlton turn their coaches over more than anyone, is just blatantly false.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Possibly, but I don't see how that's pertinent. The coaches are either retained or released.
The top 6 teams (a third of the league) have had their coaches averaging roughly 3 years each.

The theory that only Carlton sack coaches, or Carlton turn their coaches over more than anyone, is just blatantly false.

Pagan was mid season and had a year to go on his contract, Ratten with a year to go on his contract, Malthouse was mid season, Bolton was mid season...

That's your previous 4 coaches. It's not pretty no matter what spin you put on it, and I genuinely do think it would be a relatively pertinent fact from the perspective of a potential head coach.

And yeah, I'm sure other club's have had plenty of early sackings or "mutually agreed retirements" but Carlton in particular has become a bit notorious for it being a one sided affair. The mid season part in particular is a bit of an ugly stain IMO.

Hopefully your incoming President can drive a change in the board/backroom culture, because from the outside it looks like a lot of the club's issues stem from there. Considering Teague is still there despite some snide commentary from the media, maybe that change has already happened.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans

Sackings are always hard to tell in footy, since they so often paint it as a mutual agreement type thing, but haven't North's last 4 coaches also all left mid-contract? I can't remember whether Pagan still had years to go but at least the last 3 have.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sackings are always hard to tell in footy, since they so often paint it as a mutual agreement type thing, but haven't North's last 4 coaches also all left mid-contract? I can't remember whether Pagan still had years to go but at least the last 3 have.
In Carlton's case I think they've all been relatively clearly publicised as sackings.

As for us... Pagan I'm unsure, I think he quit the year Carey did The Deed after being poached by Carlton on bigger dollars. Maybe he was pushed out IDK, though I'm sure others can comment. Laidley "resigned" mid season and then Scott was around for an entire decade before we came to a (belated, IMO) "mutual agreement" for him to bugger off. Shaw... Well I don't really know how you classify that one.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
In Carlton's case I think they've all been relatively clearly publicised as sackings.

As for us... Pagan I'm unsure, I think he quit the year Carey did The Deed after being poached by Carlton on bigger dollars. Maybe he was pushed out IDK, though I'm sure others can comment. Laidley "resigned" mid season and then Scott was around for an entire decade before we came to a (belated, IMO) "mutual agreement" for him to bugger off. Shaw... Well I don't really know how you classify that one.
Yeah fair enough, but whichever side is pushing it coaches leaving mid-contract isn't exactly a rare thing in AFL.

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reckon Buckley gets a raw deal from a lot of people. Few years written off by injuries.
If he had Moore or Dunn in 2018 he probably gets the flag. Theres alot worse coaches than Buckley. A different club would help him too

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Essendon - 7
Melbourne - 6
Adelaide -6
Fremantle - 6
St. Kilda - 6
Carlton - 6
Western Bulldogs - 5
North - 5
Brisbane -4
Richmond - 3
Port - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Collingwood -2

Clutching at straws to put Essendon up top by having Egan's 3 games on there

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
We'll take Weitering thanks Bucks, mind chipping in $300k pa again?
Not sure either of our clubs should be joking about Treloar right now. $650,000 pa for the next 5 years when he has only been on the park for 10 games in 2021 is marginally better than us paying $300k pa for not playing any games. At least the talk we loaded up a large portion of the $300pa this year, eases the pain slightly.

Hopefully he can get over his setbacks and be part of a premiership team. He deserves it.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Not sure either of our clubs should be joking about Treloar right now. $650,000 pa for the next 5 years when he has only been on the park for 10 games in 2021 is marginally better than us paying $300k pa for not playing any games. At least the talk we loaded up a large portion of the $300pa this year, eases the pain slightly.

Hopefully he can get over his setbacks and be part of a premiership team. He deserves it.
When did it become 950k pa, and how much could the Pies actually afford to load up this year?

Genuine questions, those 2 points are quite different to everything I had heard up until now.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Clutching at straws to put Essendon up top by having Egan's 3 games on there
Not my list. Wasn't an effort to put Ess on top. Who is on top is of little importance.
Change them to 6 and make them equal top with the other 5 teams if it upsets you unnecessarily. The point remains the same.

Back