News Draft Prospects 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Ash Richards is a nice player and could end up on a list next Tuesday, but first round Nope, not going to happen, and not ahead of Poppy Schaap no way. Second round maybe but you'd think third or later.

As I've posted on the AFLW Draft forum, its not like she has nailed it previously. Last year Sarah predicted Alyssa Bannan to be 2nd drafted to go to the Dogs, Bannan ended up at the Dees as #5. She predicted a midfielder in Smith to Dees. Dees ended going the tall not the mid, and Doggies the mid not the tall. This tells me she didn't have the mail on either of these 2 top end picks, which is not really knowing their plans.

Amanda Ling is going to go early first round but to our first? Sarah has previously acknowledged the need for a Key replacement for Wakefield/Frederick exists for us, but then she predicts we take two mids with our first 2 picks? The quality of forward we need is not going to be there with a 4th round pick Sarah.

Yeah i agree, she's got the majority of players going in the 1st round right, but the order of club picks is all over the place
Doesn't make sense we pick 2 mids for our 1st & 2nd picks, Frederick traded, Wakefield 34 yo probably last year & Bernardi 31 yo
I don't think we're that stupid to draft an extra 2 mids in the 1st round, when we have Molan, Conti, J.Hosking, S.Hosking, Burchell, Jacques,
Dargan, Dempsey, McKenzie, Lavey.

i swear if we dont get slender im full #eco, ill melt and itll be our fyfe moment in the womens, prospective player, tigers fan that we end up passing on and they turn out to be a gun

Relax, don't panic & breath slowly :)
In 2020 we had 3 Academy players train with us
They were Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV Rebels), Tara Slender (Bendigo Pioneers), Ella Friend (GWV Rebels)
Coincidence i think not, remember Ellie McKenzie was also a train on Academy player with us:cool::cool:

A few don’t have Slender as high on their draft list.

Personally I think the journos prefer to play it safe and go mids for early picks unless there is an absolute standout forward/defender

I think Slender will be more of a project player while Craven, Ling, Reid and co will probably be more ready made.

Slender may turn out to have the better career but the team that gets her may have to wait a year or two.

One thing for sure, it’s going to be interesting come Tuesday night. Whoever we get we’ll get a good one.

Last edited:
Yeah i agree, she's got the majority of players going in the 1st round right, but the order of club picks is all over the place
Doesn't make sense we pick 2 mids for our 1st & 2nd picks, Frederick traded, Wakefield 34 yo probably last year & Bernardi 31 yo
I don't think we're that stupid to draft an extra 2 mids in the 1st round, when we have Molan, Conti, J.Hosking, S.Hosking, Burchell, Jacques,
Dargan, Dempsey, McKenzie, Lavey.

Yeah not sure some of those names are mid rotations that we could hang our hats on. You can remove Jacques and Dargan totally from that list. Your not going to win too much footy with them in the middle.

Sophie Molan will have to take the next step and I’ll back her in to do this.

Burchell and Dempsey are on a wing. Lavey is an outside line breaker.

You guys have convinced me to be on the Slender train but to be honest I think we are still a mid or two down and if our first pick is a true mid I wont be too disappointed.

A few don’t have Slender as high on their draft list.

Personally I think the journos prefer to play it safe and go mids for early picks unless there is an absolute standout forward/defender

I think Slender will be more of a project player while Craven, Ling, Reid and co will probably be more ready made.

Slender may turn out to have the better career but the team that gets her may have to wait a year or two.

One thing for sure, it’s going to be interesting come Tuesday night. Whoever we get we’ll be get a good one.

Unless you get a Prespakis (Maddy & Georgia), Patrikios, Rowbottom or McKenzie, the absolute stand out, cream of the crop, your not going to get a impact straight away out of your 1st year drafted midfielders

Since 2018 to 2020 drafts, the top 10 picks have been serviceable other than the M.Prespakis, G.Patrikios & E.McKenzie who have been elite
Craven, Ling, Reid and Yassir aren't on this same level, i wouldn't assume that they'd have much of an impact this coming season
VFLW is a step up as all the U/18's have found, AFLW is a bigger leap again

90% of 18 yo draftees are project players for 2-3 years, it's no different for a Slender/Friend or Ling/Craven/Ried/Yassir
The big difference is the growth potential once players get into the AFLW system
AFL/ AFLW recruiters, weigh up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, versatility, athleticism, footy IQ, strengths/weaknesses

What your looking for in a player is very good/great/enormous growth potential, not at U/18 level but at AFLW level
There are players in the U/18's that have starred but won't get drafted, because they're a one trick pony, can only play one position, can only do one thing very well, haven't got versatility

The players that are getting drafted now play FWD/DEF/MID, basically everywhere thru their junior years not to rack up huge numbers, but to show clubs, hey look at me i can play anywhere you want me to play & i can do it well

Yeah not sure some of those names are mid rotations that we could hang our hats on. You can remove Jacques and Dargan totally from that list. Your not going to win too much footy with them in the middle.

Sophie Molan will have to take the next step and I’ll back her in to do this.

Burchell and Dempsey are on a wing. Lavey is an outside line breaker.

You guys have convinced me to be on the Slender train but to be honest I think we are still a mid or two down and if our first pick is a true mid I wont be too disappointed.

I understand your point but only Conti 22 yo, McKenzie 19 yo, are elite A+, we won't be getting a elite mid this draft
J.Hosking, S.Hosking, 26 yo would be B+ - A-
Molan, 20 yo would be C+ - B-
Jacques, 21 yo would be C+ - B-
Dargan, 22 yo would be D+
Burchell, 26 yo would be C
Dempsey, 26 yo would be B
Lavey. 28 would be B+ - A-
Any mids we pick in this draft will be good for 5-9 disposals/game at the most, nothing that'll help that much this season
The draftees, whoever we get, might only play 1, 2, maybe 3 games, we're not at that bad situation when we had to play 18 year old's before they were ready
All draftees we pick up will start at a D level, we ain't getting a McKenzie this year, we'll have to do with what we have ATM

Finally i'm not at all fussed who we draft, they'll all be Richmond players & that's good enough for me, i'll support them to the hilt :)
GO THE MIGHTY TIGERS, may all the other teams eat s**t & die:p

Unless you get a Prespakis (Maddy & Georgia), Patrikios, Rowbottom or McKenzie, the absolute stand out, cream of the crop, your not going to get a impact straight away out of your 1st year drafted midfielders

Since 2018 to 2020 drafts, the top 10 picks have been serviceable other than the M.Prespakis, G.Patrikios & E.McKenzie who have been elite
Craven, Ling, Reid and Yassir aren't on this same level, i wouldn't assume that they'd have much of an impact this coming season

90% of 18 yo draftees are project players for 2-3 years, it's no different for a Slender/Friend or Ling/Craven/Ried/Yassir
The big difference is the growth potential once players get into the AFLW system
AFL/ AFLW recruiters, weigh up numbers against watching the games, current impact against potential, versatility, athleticism, footy IQ, strengths/weaknesses

What your looking for in a player is very good/great/enormous growth potential, not at U/18 level but at AFLW level
There are players in the U/18's that have starred but won't get drafted, because they're a one trick pony, can only play one position, can only do one thing very well, haven't got versatility

The players that are getting drafted now play FWD/DEF/MID, basically everywhere thru their junior years not to rack up huge numbers, but to show clubs, hey look at me i can play anywhere you want me to play & i can do it well

Great Post Stan,

You have explained it well and accuratley IMO, this is spot on.

it’s a process and change they all have to go through, it’s just that some breeze through, the stand outs as you say, and the leap for others, in what the girls have to do to step up to make it, is the reality that kicks in in their draft year, they have to adapt and the work starts all over again. However they are in the best place for this to happen if they are drafted to clubs with the facilities, the environment and support all working to get them to where they need to be. This and how disciplined and driven they are to make this happen.

They’ll be plenty of stories that show this, like in Brisbane, where I now live, on a personal level I know one of the Lions girls well, not one of their stars, but a good player nonetheless, she showcased her talents in U18’s, was rewarded by being drafted to Lions in 2018, She can play anywhere, midfield, down back but they landed on developing her as a medium defender. So a mid term project player would describe how the Lions view her. I thought I saw signs in her 2020 games in the shortened season that she was going to next level, and then this year she had a break out year, jumped into the clubs top 10 B&F, & also a rising star nom. So If Sophie Molan was to follow a similar path, as they both had similar sporting highlights in their U-18 rep year, then next year will be the year that Sophie has her breakout year with the Tigers. Here’s hoping.

Nah sorry mate goals are the be all and end all :p

Great Post Stan,

You have explained it well and accuratley IMO, this is spot on.

it’s a process and change they all have to go through, it’s just that some breeze through, the stand outs as you say, and the leap for others, in what the girls have to do to step up to make it, is the reality that kicks in in their draft year, they have to adapt and the work starts all over again. However they are in the best place for this to happen if they are drafted to clubs with the facilities, the environment and support all working to get them to where they need to be. This and how disciplined and driven they are to make this happen.

They’ll be plenty of stories that show this, like in Brisbane, where I now live, on a personal level I know one of the Lions girls well, not one of their stars, but a good player nonetheless, she showcased her talents in U18’s, was rewarded by being drafted to Lions in 2018, She can play anywhere, midfield, down back but they landed on developing her as a medium defender. So a mid term project player would describe how the Lions view her. I thought I saw signs in her 2020 games in the shortened season that she was going to next level, and then this year she had a break out year, jumped into the clubs top 10 B&F, & also a rising star nom. So If Sophie Molan was to follow a similar path, as they both had similar sporting highlights in their U-18 rep year, then next year will be the year that Sophie has her breakout year with the Tigers. Here’s hoping.

Thanks toenail63, your post is spot on too
We as fans/keyboard warriors forget what a big jump it is from the juniors to the AFL/AFLW, like you said draftees start at the bottom & have to start again
Great point with the Brisbane girl & Sophie Molan, for most players it takes time to find their feet in the AFL/AFLW
With Molan her numbers aren't that bad when compared to the top 10 players in her draft year (2019),

2021 season Ave Disposals
1 Gabby Newton 9D/G
2 Lucy McEvoy 13D/G
3 Lily Postlethwaite 6D/G
4 Maggie Gorham (retired)
5 Georgia Patrikios 24D/G (the stand out AA, 2X B&F)
6 Nell Morris-Dalton 7D/G
7 Sophie Molan 9D/G
8 Gemma Lagioia 8D/G
9 Elisabeth Georgostathis 12D/G
10 Ellie Gavalas 15D/G

Why would we call her a bust, a dud, when she's tracking nicely, we forget it took Shai Bolton (even with his huge potential) 3-4 years to break out,
i have hope that Molan will be that inside mid that feeds Conti & McKenzie the ball for years to come
We just have to be patient, something that some of our fans lack 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
We as fans/keyboard warriors forget what a big jump it is from the juniors to the AFL/AFLW, like you said draftees start at the bottom & have to start again
Great point with the Brisbane girl & Sophie Molan, for most players it takes time to find their feet in the AFL/AFLW
With Molan her numbers aren't that bad when compared to the top 10 players in her draft year (2019),

1 Gabby Newton 9D/G
2 Lucy McEvoy 13D/G
7 Sophie Molan 9D/G
8 Gemma Lagioia 8D/G
10 Ellie Gavalas 15D/G

Why would we call her a bust, a dud, when she's tracking nicely, we forget it took Shai Bolton (even with his huge potential) 3-4 years to break out,
i have hope that Molan will be that inside mid that feeds Conti & McKenzie the ball for years to come

Molan has turned out to be a dud. Soft, weak in the contest and slow as a wet weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Gabby Newton 9D/G
2 Lucy McEvoy 13D/G
7 Sophie Molan 9D/G
8 Gemma Lagioia 8D/G
10 Ellie Gavalas 15D/G

For the record I’ve never ever said or thought Molan is a dud. I have been a supporter of hers.

This will be her 3rd year and I would be surprised if she didn’t agree that she needed to work on certain aspects of her game to take that extra step next year.

The things to work on wouldn’t have been as apparent at U18 level but have shown up at AFL level. It has nothing to with disposal numbers.

Again I’m backing her in to improve next season.

For the record I’ve never ever said or thought Molan is a dud. I have been a supporter of hers.

This will be her 3rd year and I would be surprised if she didn’t agree that she needed to work on certain aspects of her game to take that extra step next year.

The things to work on wouldn’t have been as apparent at U18 level but have shown up at AFL level. It has nothing to with disposal numbers.

Again I’m backing her in to improve next season.

Yeah i know you have been a supporter of Molan, TigermanM2, as have i and other posters
but we both know who hasn't, not naming any names, Lord of the Wings doesn't like her 😂 🤣 🤦‍♂️

Yeah i know you have been a supporter of Molan, TigermanM2, as have i and other posters
but we both know who hasn't, not naming any names, Lord of the Wings doesn't like her 😂 🤣 🤦‍♂️

Think you summed it up pretty well when you used the term keyboard warrior.

2021 AFLW draft preview (richmondfc.com.au)

Richmond Women's Recruiting Manager Trent Mosbey
"But, overall, our strategy, particularly for the first two picks, will be best talent available and we'll hopefully get some really talented girls there onto the list and hopefully fill the list need at the same time. So, we've identified a batch of girls that fit the criteria of the football club, and hopefully we can get them on board."

2021 AFLW draft preview (richmondfc.com.au)

Richmond Women's Recruiting Manager Trent Mosbey
"But, overall, our strategy, particularly for the first two picks, will be best talent available and we'll hopefully get some really talented girls there onto the list and hopefully fill the list need at the same time. So, we've identified a batch of girls that fit the criteria of the football club, and hopefully we can get them on board."
no mention of father daughter probs means we're not taking jorja

also i feel like f/d selections usually get mentioned pre-draft

Reckon cards are played pretty close to chests.

Yep that's true, we'll see soon enough

Saints site says
"St Kilda has eyes on revving up its engine room and bolstering its tall stocks heading into Tuesday’s NAB AFL Women’s Draft."

"The plan appears to be no different in 2021, with a number of quality on-ballers – including Georgie Prespakis, Amanda Ling and Tess Craven – likely to be snapped up early on Tuesday night."
"Add in the Saints’ hopes of shifting Patrikios and Smith into more of their natural outside roles this coming season, and adding inside power to complement the likes of the returning Olivia Vesely and Rosie Dillon will be top priority
."

I'd say Amanda Ling looks like 99% chance

'Securing a tall forward/ruck option will be just as important on Tuesday night to help alleviate the strain on key targets Caitlin Greiser and Kate Shierlaw and support Rhi Watt in ruck."

Probably looking at Tahlia Gillard

Last edited:
would be happy with the aurora smith pick though

I used to say that, was a bit of a fan, her Club numbers were crazy-good sometimes. However, I am yet to see them translate into better competition - and that is a concern. Maybe I've missed something in her game history but I wouldn't be taking her because all I'm seeing is ceiling atm and no blue sky. Really hope I am wrong - especially if we select her as mooted.

Last edited:

You are a smart man Stanley! That is why I am so keen on Yassir, she can have an impact as a small forward. As she develops there will be scope in coming years to rotate her. Stella Reid, Tara Slender et al have 'development required' written all over them with lots of blue sky. We have already traded for the here and now though, so we also have to take some 'development required' talent - we'll get two of those!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back